Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Post Meno - am I going mad?  (Read 2000 times)

baggiebird

Post Meno - am I going mad?
« on: October 02, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »

2 years Post Meno and I`m still struggling. 
Not sleeping well
Night sweats
Memory issues/losing sense of time - especially in the morning
What`s wrong with me?  It`s now causing arguments with OH who think`s I`m doing it on purpose to wind him up  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 08:17:12 AM by baggiebird »

Dancinggirl

Re: Post Meno - am I going mad?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 08:51:55 AM »

This is what oestrogen deficiency does to us :-X  It effects some women more than others  - will it ever settle down?? Nobody can tell you as we are all different.  All I do know is, we have to adjust out lives, be a little more selfish and possibly stick with HRT as long as possible. I am nearly 4 months without HRT and starting to struggle badly with the lack of sleep - feeling generally very irritable - my poor hubby :-\.  DG x

baggiebird

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 09:11:45 AM »

Thanks Dancinggirl. 
No HRT for me, I have managed without it. 
You must be really struggling now. 
I cope ok most of the time but the last few week's have not been good.  Hopefully it will soon pass.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:04:03 PM »

Hi baggiebird

Sorry to hear you are struggling - any reason why you haven't considered HRT? Sleep is so important and lack of it is so debilitating. If you are under menopausal age (51/52) then HRT is advisable anyway, but if older than this - it will do wonders for your quality of life and relationship with your husband.

Speaking of him - please do read all you can about menopause on this website - starting with top tabs (pale green banner)- left side Menopause and then let him know the reasons for the way you are now! There is a section for husbands too which he might like to read so that he can understand what is happening to you!

If we can help in any other way please let us know :)

Hurdity x

Dana

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 11:54:38 PM »

I also wonder why you haven't tried HRT. You said you've "managed without it", yet your first post clearly seems to indicate that you really aren't coping all that well because you said you're "still struggling".

With HRT there is nothing to fear, but fear itself. So many women have been fooled into thinking it's dangerous, or causes cancer, or whatever, yet none of those things are actually true. HRT has just been a victim of a very vindictive smear campaign by the media. So bad was the campaign that even some completely clueless doctors believe it.

No one can tell you how long your symptoms will last. It's definitely not guaranteed that you will get through it within a couple of years, or even 5 years as some will tell you. You could be lucky and an improvement will be just around the corner, or you could be like a lot of women who are still experiencing symptoms into their 70s.

Mojo61

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 06:17:47 AM »

I'm in the same position but I'm 3 years post meno and still having dreadful symptoms. In fact my symptoms didn't start until last year, I was fine up until then apart from the odd hot flush and angry outburst. But then suddenly I was hit with crippling anxiety and depression and it has taken almost a year of mental torment and 6 months of anti depressants and HRT to feel a bit better, but I'm still not there yet. The only thing I can assume is that our hormones decrease slowly over a period of years and it's not until they get to zero that some women start suffering?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »

Yes that's right Mojo61. There is a dramatic decline in your natural oestrogen in the two years leading up to and following the last menstrual period (or when the ovaries pack up if you are on HRT), but hormonal levels take a further 1-4 years to stabilise after this - even after ovulation has ceased. Some women do not begin to experience symptoms (and some find they worsen) once the two + years after menopause have elapsed. ( http://www.imsociety.org/downloads/email_downloads/2012_02_16_1773491/straw10.pdf ).

Unfortunately some GPs are not aware of this and so assume a woman should be through it all and prescribe ADs rather than HRT because the woman is well post-menopausal.

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 02:20:56 PM »

Fear is a great controller isn't it?  I agree with Dana, it is outrageous that women are still being frightened off HRT and this is not helped by nasty little articles in the Daily Mail.  They seem to get off on publishing articles about tinpot studies aimed at scaring people into thinking everything causes cancer. 

Now the EU referendum is over, I think HRT scaremongering should hereinafter be referred to as 'Project Fear'.

Suzi Q

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 02:50:24 PM »

Your not madpost meno now 18 years and im still ahhhhh
You can use mini pill and ovestin the mini pill helps mood wise.
As for your husband do what i did make a Saturday appt and make him come in to see the gp too i shamed bobbles he actually said he didn't like the post meno me.
That crack cost him £4000 trip back to uk for me for 2 months
He then paid out 2000 to fly back to bring me home to ozz i refused
I made him sell the house buy a new one on the ocean
If not he could sod off i won hehehe

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »

If you are mad then you are in Good Company  ;).

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes!

Mojo61

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 06:00:45 PM »

Yes that's right Mojo61. There is a dramatic decline in your natural oestrogen in the two years leading up to and following the last menstrual period (or when the ovaries pack up if you are on HRT), but hormonal levels take a further 1-4 years to stabilise after this - even after ovulation has ceased. Some women do not begin to experience symptoms (and some find they worsen) once the two + years after menopause have elapsed. ( http://www.imsociety.org/downloads/email_downloads/2012_02_16_1773491/straw10.pdf ).

Unfortunately some GPs are not aware of this and so assume a woman should be through it all and prescribe ADs rather than HRT because the woman is well post-menopausal.

Hurdity x

Well thank God for you Hurdity! I honestly thought I was going mad and was begging my GP to admit me to a psychiatric unit. He said it couldn't possibly be caused by the menopause because I was 54 and had my LMP at 51 so according to him I was "Well past all that nonsense"

He said it was just anxiety and prescribed anti-depressants and a course of CBT.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:05:28 PM by Mojo61 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »

That's good Stellajane - will you be our Poster Girl ?  ;)