Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gout (my Hubby)  (Read 10721 times)

dulciana

Re: Gout (my Hubby)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2016, 04:56:20 PM »

Husband uses Cherry tablets and has only had one gout attack in the 15 months.

That's interesting, katsclaws.  I'll tell Hubby about this.  He's got some cherry tablets which he hasn't even opened, so maybe he should.

dulciana

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »

That's brought back memories. OH used to get attacks of gout (its awful to see them with it isn't it?) but that was when he was several stones overweight.  Since he's lost loads of weight and really changed his diet (ie not a special diet but he eats about half what he used to eat) he hasn't had a single attack.  His psoriasis has cleared up too!

I'm interested, too Stellajane.  My hubby also has psoriasis.  He's read that there's a link.

Annie0710

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 06:28:26 PM »

My OHs male family has a history of it too X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2016, 06:59:29 PM »

Stella: sometimes if people have a glass of water it takes the edge of hunger.  The body can mis-interpet hunger - apparently  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2016, 01:18:53 PM »

I eat when hungry.  It really annoyed his family  ;D because they would eat later than planned, I got so that I took my own grub and ate when necessary.  Otherwise  :sigh:

We have a good breakfast, a light lunch between 11.30 and 1.00p.m., graze in the afternoon on nuts/fruit and a cooked meal at tea-time.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2016, 03:30:57 PM »

Why  :-\ ……… I vary in what I require each day.  Some days I am hungrier than others and when anxious, can't eat at all, can't even be in the kitchen  :sigh:  I also have 'fads'  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2016, 06:02:31 PM »

Genetics  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 08:17:28 PM »

Any improvement?

dulciana

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »

Not sure if it's me you're asking, CLKD, but Hubby has learned various dietary measures that seem to be working.  The worst culprits, for him, seem to be red meat, yeast and alcohol.  Means he'll be a bit curtailed over Christmas but as long as he does things like avoiding turkey (one of the worst offenders, apparently) and boiling his mulled wine (awww!) he should be okay.  Thanks for asking.

Annie0710

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 08:35:10 AM »

My fiancé continues to see his new rheumatologist who initially upped his meds to 400mg a day, she did another blood test and informed GP to put it up to 600, test then she will say what dose, possibly 500mg allopurinol depending on his Uric acid levels that she's desperately trying to bring down to a safe level

This rheumy has been a god send (referred by the lovely GP who is helping me)

This is the longest he's been without being crippled by an attack. The first sign of one starting he takes his steroids but rheumatologist said she will find the balance so he neither needs steroids or has an attack ever again.  X-rays showed actual holes in the bones where repeated gout infections have left their damage for good

X

Two hoots

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »

My brother in law suffered  terribly with gout, he has given up eating meat which has really helped. A few years ago he was told to avoid shellfish and asparagus too.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 01:19:46 PM »

What's in a turkey that could cause problems ……… I would find that easy to avoid  ;).

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 11:17:20 PM »

OK now?
Pages: 1 [2]