Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: How long is this supposed to take??  (Read 2839 times)

Annemaria

How long is this supposed to take??
« on: October 01, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »

I'd love to hear how long before you get results from the start of vagifem (or any other brand of vaginal estrogen) to when it finally takes hold while staying on the prescribed instructions of 2 week load and twice weekly thereafter. I'm into 6 weeks now and still can't say all is well. I'm on topical treatment only.
What has your experience been in your time frame please.

Annemarie

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: How long is this supposed to take??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 03:53:31 PM »

Within days of beginning treatment symptoms eased. Vagifem doesn't always 'do' it, some ladies find that they need to apply every other night so maybe try?  It's a bit Trial and Error for each lady so finding a regime that works is important.  What symptoms continue and could they be relieved with over the counter pain relief? [should that be 'which' symptoms continue  :-\ ]

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:40:49 AM »

Hi Annemaria

Symptoms should start to ease within days as CLKD says but if VA is severe then some women need to use it daily for longer than the 2 weeks "loading" period. Remember that the dose of Vagifem now is only 10 mcg whereas in the past there was a higher dose of 25 mcg for women for whom 10 mcg was insufficient. Since this was discontinued a couple of years ago, some women are prescribe more by their GP. Maybe try the "re-load " for longer? You should have seen an improvement by now. Other options include the Estring which delivers approx the same dose as the Vagifem 25 mcg.

Also several women do need systemic HRT as well as local oestrogen to properly keep VA at bay - you won't know if you are one of them until a few weeks have passed. I was the other way round - I started with vaginal oestrogen, progressed to full HRT ( for menopausal symptoms), stopped the local oestrogen - but then found that full HRT was not sufficient to deal with VA so started that as well. ( all this started age 52/53 ish). I am still on both at age 63.

Hurdity x

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:52:16 AM »

My gynae prescribed double Vagifem so now I use 2 pessaries each time twice a week, VA still not brilliant but better X

Annemaria

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated.

Hurdity, I'm seriously tossing around going back on oral hrt. I've been off two months. I will reload for a full week and see where I am then. I'm 58, been on hrt for 7 yrs. and a bit nervous about going back on. Thank you.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »

Hi Annemaria - I'm 63 and still on it ( from just under 54)! However if you are thinking of going back on and perhaps for some years, then transdermal HRT (patches or gel and separate progestogen) is preferable so maybe think about changing type and you (and docs) should feel less nervous about staying on it.

Hurdity x

Annemaria

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:10:06 PM »

Thanks H,
Having iffy feelings that I may be playing Russian Roulette going back on hrt at 58. Yes, I get the quality of life thing, but I also want to live a long life. Just venting what's rolling around my brain lately.  :-\