Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Password alterations  (Read 6963 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Password alterations
« on: September 29, 2016, 02:44:34 PM »

Recently Yahoo! admitted that several thousands of accounts may have been hacked.  I have had notification from BT about changing passwords, but hey, I can't remember many of them.  I have had an e-mail from BT informing me that they will cut me off unless I change my password within 5 days.

So that would be me, gone  :-\.  Has anyone here up-dated successfully?

Elizabethrose

Re: Password alterations
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 03:38:17 PM »

Hi CLKD

I'm not sure if I have correctly understood what you've asked. I'm a complete donkey remembering passwords and mostly leave myself logged on on my laptop with the non financial accounts i.e. MM, Netflix etc etc.

My kids use my laptop when home and whatever they do, I suspect logging into their own various accounts, disconnects me from mine which requires me to then re-loggin with everything. If I truly can't remember the passwords I have to request new ones. My son did it to me last week which required me to reconnect to masses of stuff, I could have killed him!

Forgive me if I've misunderstood, but if you need to reset/change a password you can do two things; either try to login and press the link to 'Forgotten your password', they then email a link and you follow the process to create a new one; or go to your account details and click the link to change your password and follow the instructions.

Good luck! x

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 03:39:12 PM »

:thankyou:

I don't log out of here but my personal e-mail accounts are logged out of each time.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 04:05:46 PM »

Haha that's me! ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 04:50:27 PM »

2 out of 3 done!

lily

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 05:13:06 PM »

It is annoying trying to remember different passwords so I mostly use same one for everything  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »

Not advised apparently ……… 3rd one done, now have to remember where I've put the list  ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 05:47:32 PM »

I made up an excellent password for one account. Very strong apparently. So strong that I can't remember it completely...... ;D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 05:48:38 PM »

Haha, Ju Ju, that's me too! x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 05:56:43 PM »

::)

ellie

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 06:38:14 PM »

CKLD....we have also had email from BT........Why are they going to cut you off in five days if you don't do it? ........I am confused now  :-\

Dana

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 07:16:50 PM »

I have about three different passwords for all my websites. I then keep a typed list of the access details for various sites I visit taped inside a cupboard door next to my laptop.

It's actually a myth that you shouldn't keep these details written in a convenient place. What burglar or hacker is going to bother breaking into your home just so they can steal your passwords?

The risk comes from cyber hackers who probably aren't even in the same country as you. As long as you have strong passwords and you don't click on unknown links on spam emails you should be fine.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 09:13:13 PM »

The message was along the lines of 'we sent you an e-mail suggesting that you alter your password and we can see that you haven't responded.  If you fail to do so within 5 days we will close your account'.

Done now but I can remember 1 out of the 3 new ones: I suppose that's a start  :D

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 07:21:46 AM »

Sounds bullying to me. Probably due to awareness of security leaks that they don't want to advertise. What about those who do not have the opportunity to check emails due to illness, holiday......?

ellie

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 07:27:10 AM »

CKLD that email from 'BT' would worry me, it doesn't sound like something they would send....May I suggest you give them a call  to make sure it was a genuine email.......
Pages: [1] 2