Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Do arnica or witch hazel actually help with reducing bruising?  (Read 6539 times)

Katejo

Do arnica or witch hazel actually help with reducing bruising?
« on: September 24, 2016, 06:29:12 PM »

You may have seen my other entry about facial bruising. Has anyone had success with these or is it a myth?

Katejo

Re: Do arnica or witch hazel actually help with reducing bruising?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 07:40:10 PM »

Both are widely used in Brazil for this and other purposes, mainly for their anti-inflammatory properties. Arnica is only for external use since it is highly toxic.

Don't worry as I won't eat it!  Will get some tomorrow. Have just read that a towel dipped in warm/hot water helps after 24 hours. I did apply a cold pack immediately but couldn't do it frequently because i was stuck at the hospital.

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »

I'm a big fan of witch hazel gel but you absolutely mustn't get it near your eyes.  I do think time is of the essence though - that is, you need to use it quickly when you've bashed yourself and are thinking "that's going to be a bruise"!
Too late for that. The bruising appeared within 2 hours of the event. Perhaps the same applies to arnica?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »

The Staff could have given you an ice pack  ::) - a frozen bag of peas until the swelling/bruising goes down is as good as anything, or a lolly or cold bottle of milk against the painful areas.

Megamind

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 08:10:15 PM »

Arnica definitely helps bruising.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 08:45:18 PM »

Arnica definitely helps bruising.
  I'll try and get some tomorrow from Boots or Holland & Barrett.

nothappybun

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 09:25:43 AM »

Yes, it does if it is pure (montana) and you can take it in tablets too.
I was told bromelain works wonders, you can find it in tablet form or in pineapples (the white centre hard part seems to have high concentrations)

dangermouse

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 10:29:54 PM »

I've not tried the cream but homeopathic arnica by mouth is very effective for bruising and boosting the immune system generally. It may also trigger cold symptoms but it means you need the clear out, so is good. My mum just took it after her knee replacement and a massive bruise went within a week.

I was a bit sceptical when I was first recommended it, as I assumed homeopathy couldn't possibly work, but it stopped a bruise in its tracks and got rid of one I'd had for over a year. I think the herb is poisonous but its very safe in homeopathic preparations, as with arsenic etc. No idea how it works though as definitely wasn't placebo as I thought it was all nonsense!

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 01:09:07 AM »

I've not tried the cream but homeopathic arnica by mouth is very effective for bruising and boosting the immune system generally. It may also trigger cold symptoms but it means you need the clear out, so is good. My mum just took it after her knee replacement and a massive bruise went within a week.

I was a bit sceptical when I was first recommended it, as I assumed homeopathy couldn't possibly work, but it stopped a bruise in its tracks and got rid of one I'd had for over a year. I think the herb is poisonous but its very safe in homeopathic preparations, as with arsenic etc. No idea how it works though as definitely wasn't placebo as I thought it was all nonsense!
I did buy some yesterday and applied it 3 times. Bruising has started to show signs of clearing but that may have happened anyway. I have no way of knowing. I am a bit sceptical about homeopathic treatments after a previous experience.

dahliagirl

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »

I think once you the bleeding has been stopped (cold compresses help) then the bruise is there and you just have to wait for your body to do its thing.  If you are healthy, then it will sort itself.

So, fresh air, exercise, sensible food, no smoking and drinking and plenty sleep should sort it  ;D

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 05:15:31 PM »

I think once you the bleeding has been stopped (cold compresses help) then the bruise is there and you just have to wait for your body to do its thing.  If you are healthy, then it will sort itself.

So, fresh air, exercise, sensible food, no smoking and drinking and plenty sleep should sort it  ;D
The bruising is clearing well now.  Still some to go but much improved.