Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Low bloodsugar in the menopause  (Read 4700 times)

MaxineB

Low bloodsugar in the menopause
« on: October 05, 2016, 08:23:26 AM »

I am new to the forum and am wondering if anyone has any problem with low blood sugar during the menopause.  I am getting the shakes and getting very anxious.

dazned

Re: Low bloodsugar in the menopause
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »

:welcomemm:

Yep ,if you read around on here you'll find lots have had this problem. Now is a good time to re evaluate all of your life style ,diet,exercise etc. Eating little and often can help. Foods that once were tolerated now may not be. Its called the change for a reason and one has to figure out how to adapt to suit you ,its very individual.  :)

MaxineB

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 08:48:10 AM »

Thanks.  I will have a look around on the forum.  I thought I was the only one.  Nice to know that I am not the only one suffering.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »

Hi Maxine B

:welcomemm:

Most definitely yes! I've had a tendency to this anyway throughout my life - on occasions getting what I now know is called reactive hypoglycaemia - where you get all the symptoms of true hypoglycaemia (  acute trembling, sweating feeling weak, craving sugar, needing to sit down until sugar rises, irritable) - because blood sugar has fallen too quickly but is not low as in diabetics. I've been to the doc about mine and was given a monitor - I measured a few times and the lowest was 4.2 I think which is fine.

When I was in late reproductive stage ( periods still completely regular but not yet peri-menopausal) I started to get migraines for the first time ( didn't know they were though) and also started getting these attacks during the second half of my cycle - probably a week or so before my period - and especially mid or late morning. Progesterone and oestrogen have a differential effect on blood sugar levels so when the balance changes throughout the cycle - it seems to affect some women more than others. It's also related to adrenalin I gather but I don't really understand it completely - complex endocrine control.

Morning was my weak time - I went from just having toast for breakfast to having cereal like shreddies, and then even that wouldn't work (would have the shakes by mid morning) so went onto Weetabix (while the children were growing up!) and then to muesli and then to muesli and toast. Now I'm on a different diet (to keep weight down)  I have two boiled eggs and lots of fruit and yog for brek or bacon egg toms mushrooms as well as fruit and yog - and I'm OK - but it happened to me this morning at my exercise class (only had one egg + fruit + yog).

I agree eat little and often and above all cut out any added sugar from your diet for the most part  ie sweet drinks, juice, biscuits and cakes ( including muesli bars which are usually loaded with sugar - not healthy at all!) - and reducing carbs especially refined ones - replacing all of this with lots of low fat protein, fruit veg nuts beans etc or whole wheat carbs ( but restrict these too). If you make sure you're never hungry but eat as above you should not put on weight (especially if you take exercise). The odd treat is fine - as well as the odd drink :)

This should stabilise your blood sugar and your tendency to get these attacks. Also try to identify your weak points - times of day or month and make sure you have plenty to eat at this time.

Ooops got carried away there but this problem has been with me for so long I have to be governed by it - well I know how to handle it now!

Hurdity x

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:04:16 PM »

Much of the advice given by hurdity is the advice given to me by my gynaecologist who said I had symptoms of insulin resistance. The egg for breakfast really helped stop mid morning shakes, etc. I was also told to lose weight, even though my bmi weight was in the ideal range. I had no waist as my hips are very slim. Apparently that puts you at just as high a risk of diabetes as if you are obviously obese. I did as there is a strong history of diabetes 2 in my family. Losing over a stone, avoiding sugar and processed food as much as possible, eating a balanced diet etc has really helped get rid of those low blood sugar symptoms.

MaxineB

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2016, 06:36:20 AM »

Thanks.  Sounds like pretty sound advice to me.  I do notice it when I only have toast for breakfast but have today gone for scrambled eggs.  Hopefully it will keep off the low sugar feeling.  I am glad I joined this forum, nice to know that there are other people out there for support. 

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 07:07:18 AM »

Hi MaxineB

Taz x  :welcomemm:

zelda

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 08:26:27 AM »

I too have been a victim of this, sometimes I feel as if I might faint, once I have had something to eat I am fine after a few mins but cannot go without food for very long periods. Boiled eggs are excellent and work really well for me also lots of nuts. Try to take some nuts or something similar out with you in case you get an attack whilst walking etc.

grumpyjane

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 01:35:20 PM »

Welcome MaxineB!  :yes:
Yes I have this problem too, and for most of my life. Sometimes I feel desperate to eat something and my hands start shaking. I`ve not really experimented with diet except that I know I have to eat little and often. I usually have a boiled egg in the morning. You are not alone!
Jx

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 04:51:49 PM »

Just to re-iterate that you are able to eat less often if you replace carbs/sugar with lean protein ( as well as nuts fruit and veg) - because this all takes longer to digest and makes you feel fuller for longer. Anyone who gets the shakes and desperation that grumpyjane described (and I did below) - along with the sweating due to low blood sugar should really change their diet to be less carb/sugar rich.

Hurdity x

linz57

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 09:10:37 PM »

Good advice Hurdity, I've found cutting carbs while increasing protein really helps. Eggs make a good meal at breakfast or lunchtime . Sometimes if I feel really hungry at lunchtime I have two boiled eggs and some homemade sugar free bread. These keep the shakes at bay and keep me going until my evening meal.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 09:46:30 PM »

I haven't read all the replies, too tired - but NAPS advised eating every three hours, 24/7, 52/12.  That includes in the night when I got up to go to the bathroom or put the puppy out to pee in the early hours.  She soon realised that biscuits were to be had  ;).

That sudden feeling of nausea would take over, I made sure that I knew where every basket/loo was when shopping.  It would start anytime after 10 days pre-each bleed.  Like my body was suddenly hungry.  I found carrying Dextrose tablets, dried fruits and nuts, bananas helpful - and have to even now remember to eat B4 I am hungry.  Some days I have to have an early lunch, i.e. around 11.30 ……..

I can't digest eggs.  Himself finds that a large bowl of porridge with fresh fruits and dried nuts keeps him going until 12.30 if necessary.  I have altered my breakfast from two rounds of toast to a multi-muesli type cereal each morning.  With a splash of milk as I hate milk  ::).

Graze.  Little and often.  Don't eat more but spread out your meal choices throughout the 24 hours.  Let us know how you get on.

Milamam

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 04:00:37 PM »

Good topic, very much needed!
I also don't digest eggs well so usually avoid them. My normal breakfast is a toast with cheese and some greens/leafy vegs. Unfirtunately I don't like fruit either - because of most being sweet, so replace with vegs as and when possible. I don't avoid sugar, I just don't like sweets at all! Very very very rarely it will be a bite if choc at night - once every two months.