Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member requesting advice please!  (Read 1958 times)

jennyr265

New member requesting advice please!
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:08:28 AM »

Hi everyone,
I'm 51. My last period was July 2014 although i had a bleed in November 2015 - this was checked out and all is ok. Apparently I still have a few follicles trying to join the party!
I have menopausal symptoms - hot flushes, fatigue, insomnia but nothing too bad well not yet anyway. My biggest issue is stiffness in my back and pain in my hips. I have had an MRI which didn't reveal anything other than usual wear and tear and a slight bulging disc at L4/5. So i am working on the assumption that I may need HRT to boost my oestrogen levels and help reduce the stiffness?
I have just picked up my blood test results from the GP and it would be great if someone could help me interpret them.
FSH is 61.1 iu/L
LSH is 39.1 iu/L
I assume that this means that I am post menopausal?
Thanks for reading! :)

Dancinggirl

Re: New member requesting advice please!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM jennyr265
Your test results do indicate menopause - however these tests can be misleading as they can fluctuate, so you are probably still deemed peri menopause.

HRT may well be worth trying - do browse around the site to get clued up and see the doctor with a list of symptoms and questions.  If you want to try HRT then do start with sequential HRT ( this will mean a monthly withdrawal bleed)  - sequi HRt allows you to see if the progesterone in that particular HRT type suits you.  I think Femoston 1/10 is a good one to try first as it has a kinder progesterone and suits many women very well. 
I believe that studies show that 5 years of HRT in our 50s can and does protect our heart and bones for the longer term.
It is also important to look at diet, exercise and keep weight under control - getting enough calcium, Vit D3 and magnesium is vital and keeping up some exercise like brisk walking etc. really helps to maintain bone density.
Keep us posted about how you get on.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 02:00:42 PM »

Hi jennyr265

:welcomemm: from me too.

I am wondering why your doc ordered blood tests for FSH and LH? At your age and with the symptoms you are getting, as well as your cycle (or lack of it) - menopause can be diagnosed without blood tests. Post-menopause can only be decided once you have had 12 months without a bleed which you did have once and almost have again if the bleed in Nov 2015 was a late ovulation.

Did you also have a thyroid tests and general full blood count etc as it's always good to have the whole lot done to rule out other conditions too?

Yes do try HRT - it will work wonders provided there is nothing else amiss! I agree with Dancinggirl - it's really important now to concentrate on making improvements to your diet if you need to, take more exercise, and maintain a normal BMI - and all this as well as HRT should help alleviate some of the muscle and joint problems.

If you need any help trying to decide which one - do please ask - have a look at the top menu ( green banner) at Treatments/HRT preparations and you will see the different types.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 03:35:48 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes!

jennyr265

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:14:53 PM »

Thanks for all of your replies. I did have a full set of blood tests, including thyroid and glucose levels and these were all normal. My BMI is fine as is my diet in the main. I exercise as much as i can but I am restricted by the hip and back pain.
I will read up on the different HRT types and report back once I have been to GP again. Thanks again. :)