Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Taken Off Vagifem  (Read 22290 times)

Lynne888

Taken Off Vagifem
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:53:24 AM »

We moved to Wales about a year ago and my new GP immediately took me off Vagifem  :'( I tried to reason with her explaining that I was in such a mess before being prescribed it. I was on the loo up to 70 times a day. It was such a dreadful time.  I personally think the free prescriptions in Wales cause GP's to watch what they prescribe and if something is slightly more expensive than the *norm* then you just don't get it.  Fortunately, I had quite a few vagifem left. My previous GP had given me three boxes to keep me going and I already had some.  I've tried to come off it, but the constant trips to the loo come back fairly quickly. I've very few left now and I'm beginning to panic.  I wonder if any of you know if any of the over the counter stuff works? I will go back if I have to and explain to the GP but I won't hold my breath.  My hubby is diabetic and his medication has been altered too.  If I'm pushed I shall buy from one of the online pharmacies  :-\

Maryjane

Re: Taken Off Vagifem
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »

How dreadful. Print off all the latest guidelines and show them her.

I also no of another lady in Wales , who had to get a referral to a urologist to then tell the GP she needed vagifem 5 xs a week for LIFE.

How about writing to Dr Currie on here ? and she can reply to you telling your GP that this treatment is vital.

wpuld she rather you were on antibiotics for life ? Sometimes I wonder if they have any brains some of these GPs.

Lynne888

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:07:31 PM »

Thanks for your reply Mary Jane.  I don't like to just approach the doctor you mention on here.. is that something people do? I am starting to worry now I am running out of my stash! I really couldn't go through the situation I was in again.. it was life changing honestly.

Lynne888

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 03:35:59 PM »

She didn't say why.  We just discussed my current medication when I had my first appointment and when I said Vagifem she asked why I needed it. I told her and she said she felt I could manage without it. I told her I couldn't but she didn't listen. I probably haven't done myself any favours using my stash because when I go back she will probably say *you have managed without for a year*!! I might tell her I was forced to buy online!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:49:46 PM »

I don't think you can buy from online pharmacies without a prescription though?

As for your doc - yet again another ignorant GP!!!! The over the counter stuff does not work in the same way - although can help.

Here is the info from this site:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php

VAGINAL DRYNESS

Lack of estrogen can cause dryness and thinning of the vaginal tissues making intercourse uncomfortable or even painful. The first sign of an effect of reduced estrogen on the vagina is reduced lubrication during sexual activity. HRT can alleviate this but even if you cannot take systemic HRT you may still be able to use estrogen topically to the vagina. This is available in a few forms; creams administered via applicators, waxy pessaries, small tablets inserted with an applicator or a vaginal ring which stays in place for 3 months at a time. For creams, pessaries or vaginal tablets, the initial dose is 1 application nightly for 2 weeks, followed by the maintenance dose of 1 application twice weekly. Low dose vaginal estrogen preparations can be used long term without causing any known systemic effect, and without needing any progestogenic protection of the lining of the womb.

Even if you cannot or do not want to use hormones there are other options. Over the counter bio-adhesive vaginal moisturisers are very effective. A range of products are available, many of which are easier to use than KY jelly, which is water based and more slippery. These moisturizers are also slightly acidic which helps prevent vaginal infections. One other advantage is that they do not need to be used at the time of intercourse. Several non-hormonal vaginal products can be also be prescribed and include Replens MD, Yes, Hyalofemme and Sylk.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

VAGINAL TREATMENTS

Local estrogen can be used for vaginal and bladder symptoms, when systemic treatment is not desired or appropriate. For some women, vaginal estrogen may be required along with systemic HRT.

I linked to the NICE Guidelines  on menopause (published Nov 2015) recently on another thread but here is the link again:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng23/chapter/Recommendations#managing-short-term-menopausal-symptoms

Go to Section 1.4.9 Urogenital atrophy

This in particular is important:

"Explain to women with urogenital atrophy that:

....symptoms often come back when treatment is stopped"

Please do print out all the relevant information and prepare to be assertive - it is your right to have this and you will not make more of your own oestrogen once it has declined. Local oestrogen is the best proven treatment for vaginal atrophy and associated bladder symptoms.

I use full HRT ( systemic ie patches) as well as Vagifem and also estriol cream which I use now and again. The inconsistency in treatment and prescription over the UK is shocking and the NICE Guidelines were supposed to help equalise this by providing up to date information and guidance to the medical profession.

I would get along  to your doc asap  - and let us know how you get on.

Hurdity x

Tinkerbell

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »

I would go and see another doctor and print out the guidelines that Huridity linked to.
Why did she think you could manage without it? It doesn't go away, it needs life long treatment.
I am another one who needs systemic hrt, Vagifem and Ovestin and I can still get the odd flare up even with all of that!

peegeetip

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »

TinkerBell, I totally agree with StellaJane

"That's disgusting really.  I would definitely go back and just state you're not prepared to carry on suffering like that and that you KNOW its only since stopping Vagifem.  On what grounds is she saying she's stopping you from having it?"

I can't say I've noticed free prescriptions making that much of a change here tbh.

I think its down to the doc not knowing much about it, believing the hype and/or having something against HRT and its use in general.
All three applied to my Doc!!! Not to mention a lack of empathy for ladies who want a sex life when they get 50+.
I don't consider "new life" options something I need to be talking to my doc about.
No wonder a lot of men get a shed and remove themselves from their wives "new lives".

If things are so bad you really should condider full HRT also and keep the Vagifem too.

Ask to be referred also.

I really hope things improve for you soon.

nothappybun

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »

We moved to Wales about a year ago and my new GP immediately took me off Vagifem  :'( I tried to reason with her explaining that I was in such a mess before being prescribed it. I was on the loo up to 70 times a day. It was such a dreadful time.  I personally think the free prescriptions in Wales cause GP's to watch what they prescribe and if something is slightly more expensive than the *norm* then you just don't get it.  Fortunately, I had quite a few vagifem left. My previous GP had given me three boxes to keep me going and I already had some.  I've tried to come off it, but the constant trips to the loo come back fairly quickly. I've very few left now and I'm beginning to panic.  I wonder if any of you know if any of the over the counter stuff works? I will go back if I have to and explain to the GP but I won't hold my breath.  My hubby is diabetic and his medication has been altered too.  If I'm pushed I shall buy from one of the online pharmacies  :-\
Hi lynne, I moved to Wales too and they've changed all my meds round and also they won't prescribe vagifem nor Ovestin, going to try tomorrow again with the information I've been given here. The locum told me last week she could only prescribe a weeks supply and that GPs weren't allowed to prescribe it for longer which is not true. Ask for a referral to a gynaecologist cause they can prescribe it here in Wales.
Check out the links and posts Hurdity has posted and also in the NHS page http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/dry-vagina/Pages/Introduction.aspx#oestrogen where it states your GP can prescribe it even some prescribing nurses.
Really bad, we should start sending complaints.
Hope you solve it soon xxx

nothappybun

Lynne888

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 09:11:11 PM »

I feared that it wouldn't be prescribed in Wales. It's all to do with costs I'm sure. It's the same with Ramipril for blood pressure. It doesn't suit me, I have terrible side effects but I'm still on it.  She just won't change it. Ramipril is the cheapest of all blood pressure treatment. It's so upsetting.  Hurdity, no you can't buy in this country, so it would have to come from abroad.. but I'd have to get it somehow.  It looks like I will have to ask to see a gynaecologist which is all a bit annoying considering I've been using Vagifem for a few years prescribed by a previous GP.  Why question it?   Thanks for the info, I will read through it now.  I don't think I need full HRT. I've been fine on Vagifem until it was stopped. So very annoying to have to start all over again.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 10:36:26 PM »

it is cruel to let you suffer like that when something simple like Vagifem sorts it.
I really hope you get some more prescribed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 07:06:14 AM »

:bang: :bang: :bang:  ask your local Pharmacist why Welsh GPs won't prescribe?  Go back to your GP and tell her you're going to jump off Consitution Hill due to VA symptoms being so bad. 

Ask for Ovestin1mg which may be cheaper and does the same job!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:38:02 PM by CLKD »

Maryjane

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 07:18:07 AM »

From NHS choices page. Please get GP to note that local oestrogen needs to be used indefinitely.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/dry-vagina/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Lynne888

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »

It's so annoying. I shall see what I can do to get back on it..  I'm going to write to Dr Currie too but the option is not available until the end of October.

nothappybun

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 03:27:55 PM »

:bang: :bang: :bang:  ask your local Pharmacist why GPs won't prescribe?  Go back to your GP and tell her you're going to jump off Consitution Hill due to VA symptoms being so bad. 
It's no joke! I was so worked up today I've sorn the car instead of paying the road tax  ::) I couldn't concentrate listening to to press 1 press 2  ;D ;D ;D
 have the same problem and I seriously think it's because prescriptions are "free" in Wales and they want to save!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 05:38:44 PM »

That shouldn't become the Patients' problem!!!!  as for SORNing the car, may I giggle?

What do you intend to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6