Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anyone tried Red Peony tincture  (Read 3515 times)

flutterby

Anyone tried Red Peony tincture
« on: February 04, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »

This is advertised on the site for hot flushes and night sweats. I did a quick search on the forum but nothing came up. As I am having little success with other things I'm trying I am wondering about giving this a go. It is MHRA approved and non oestrogenic. Unfortunately it's not cheap.
Flutterbyx

Dancinggirl

Re: Anyone tried Red Peony tincture
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 03:21:30 PM »

Hi flutterby - many of us have tried all sorts of alternative remedies and rarely found they help.  A diet high in phytoestrogens can benefit some women with very mild meno symptoms but, if a women has breast cancer, even this is considered unsafe. I do take Red clover for it's phytoestrogenic effects but it doesn't help with flushes really - Red Clover offers some benefits for the heart I believe. I wouldn't waste your money - just because it is advertised on this site doesn't mean it works. The MHRA approval just means it is safe to take - probably a very low dose that offers more of a placebo effect that anything.
HRT is the only thing that will truly tackle meno symptoms - are you unable to use HRT?
For those who can't take HRT for health reasons, then trying an AD or SRRI can be a good option.  My gynae said he finds that Citalopram or something similar can give relief from flushes etc.
I'd have a chat with your GP to discuss options.  DG x

flutterby

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl thank you for your reply.
I was on HRT for 16 years until I was 64 and I would not have been without it while I was working. However the last year I experienced irregular bleeding, had quite a large polyp removed and a small ovarian cyst was discovered. I swapped to Utrogestan for the progesterone part in the last year as it was thought I wasn't absorbing it orally because of the bleeding. I didn't think that the progesterone was having a negative effect on me until I came off it. Soon I realise mentally how much happier I felt, in spite of the flushes.
I appreciate a lot of ladies on here get relief from ADs but as I feel anxiety free and happy at the moment I don't want to take anything that may alter my mental state. I took a course of SSRIs when I was off work with depression 10 years ago and one night I just sat on the bed and thought I'm not bothered if I don't wake up in the morning.
With Red peony being a herbal prep and having the safety approval of the MHRA I was hoping that it might be of some use.
Oh well back to the drawing board Flutterbyx
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:26:57 PM by flutterby »

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 05:38:13 PM »

Hi flutterby

I agree with Dancinggirl re the tincture! The info at the top of the MM shop says that the products that are advertised are NOT endorsed by Menopause Matters (their capitals!). Unfortunately this can be misleading since the very fact they appear on here seems like a recommendation - when it just helps pay for the site!

There are other natural ways to help reduce flushes and sweats in your position if you are unable to continue with HRT. eg if you are overweight - then reduction to normal BMI can help considerably, as can reduction in caffeine, alcohol and spicy foods, so I understand.

I agree with your view of ADs - if you are not depressed then why start to take medication at your age?

The other thing is - not sure how long you've been off HRT but I would feel exactly like you do if I took the Utrogestan all the time - so I take it on a long cycle so that I feel good most of the time and then do a course of prog to induce a bleed. Just a thought.

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »

flutterby - I am nearly 61 and have been off systemic HRT for over 6 months now - I'd spent most of the last 25 years on HRT due to POF.  I am still getting some flushes but this depends on the weather, how hot a room or shop is and whether I'm rushing around or not.  When cool and calm I can go a whole day without a flush now !!!!  I have de-stressed my life considerably by simply saying NO to things I don't have to get involved with - I've become far more selfish and feel better for this.  When I had a good look at my life, I realised that all too often I got pulled into things that weren't my problem.  I work part time and actively back off from getting involved in work problems.  It's all very freeing. I take long brisk walks every day, do lots of relaxing meditation and try to eat well - supplementing here and there when I feel I need to.  I do take the Red Clover, as I mentioned before - how much is it helping? I really don't know.  I take Red Clover on the basis that it might help a bit but also because the phytoestrogen could benefit my heart.
I do feel relieved that I no longer have the hassle of HRT - for me it was always a compromise of benefits versus side effects - erratic bleeding and cramps being quite an issue in the latter years.  I still use Vagifem local oestrogen as urogenital issues are ongoing.
It's good to keep weight under control - if one is carrying too much weight that must make meno symptoms worse but when I first stopped HRT I lost quite a bit of weight and I look hagged and prune like - I have actively allowed myself to gain back a few pounds and I think is why I get fewer flushes - being too thin can make flushes worse. It's about BALANCE - life style, good body weight, exercise, relaxation and keeping the mind active.
Don't waste money on remedies - spend the money on a fabulous holiday. DG x

flutterby

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 09:57:41 PM »

Hi DG and Hurdity I've been off HRT for nearly 4 months now and I really don't want to go back on it although I know how good the oestrogen has been for me. I was always concerned about the stroke risk.
I have always had a normal BMI, try to walk every day and drink very little alcohol.
Really I should be grateful that I don't have increased anxiety or "meno brain" that would be worse than the night sweats and poor sleep pattern.
Flutterbyx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »

flutterby - for me the poor sleep is the worst meno symptom - I do sympathise. Wish I could offer some advice about how to get a better nights sleep - sadly haven't found a remedy for that yet - I just take a Nytol now and again to get a better night.  DG x

flutterby

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 09:53:56 AM »

Hi DG slept better the last 2 nights. Turned down radiator in room and opened window for a short time to let cold air, don't tell OH. Used Magnesium and oil of wintergreen spray on legs and a drop of lavender on wrists. Also a paracetamol for leg aches with a small glass of cold milk. Keeping a diary. Will let you know. Keeping fingers crossed for both of us. Flutterbyx