Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Reflexology - helped or hindered?  (Read 2063 times)

2cats

Reflexology - helped or hindered?
« on: September 26, 2016, 07:07:23 AM »

Hi there,

I've started having weekly reflexology which seems to have kick-started my periods but I feel like it's making me very tearful in the couple of days afterwards, which is making me feel very unsettled.  I spent most of yesterday dissolving into tears at the drop of a hat, until early evening. Not a great way to spend the day and a horrible reminder of pre-hrt time.  I don't like the idea that depression may be lurking round the corner...

Has anyone else experience of reflexology?

Thanks, :)

Ju Ju

Re: Reflexology - helped or hindered?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 07:40:51 AM »

I used to have monthly reflexology appointments. I couldn't afford weekly! I would still be going if this lady hadn't stopped due to starting full time work. I couldn't tell you exactly what the effect on me was other than I felt calmer and more relaxed. I liked the way I felt and was fascinated by the whole process. I would never tell her how I felt. She would tell me very accurately. Initially my foot would go into a cramp like spasm when she got to the part that related to my bowels, which alarmed both of us, but she took advice on this. ( l have IBS)

Perhaps the reflexology is helping you release stress. Why should tears herald pending depression? Have you been holding in stress and trying to be in control? Do you feel better after the couple of days after the treatment? Why have you sought reflexology as a treatment?

Justjules

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »

Hi 2cats.  I've had reflexology and had either very calming reactions with it or when I was very anxious, a heightened level of anxiety and couldn't relax while she was doing the treatment which seemed strange but it probably would have taken a sledge hammer at those times to have any affect on my nervous system as it was way out of control of mine (or so it always seems at the time...).

I wouldn't be too worried about it, it's obviously releasing something pent up which needed to be addressed and it's just the body's way of showing it.  I'm obviously no expert but massage can have the same affect.  Maybe have a Google and see what that says about the treatment and I'm sure it will say on their about it affecting the emotions. x

sap22

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 01:42:16 PM »

Hi there,

I've started having weekly reflexology which seems to have kick-started my periods but I feel like it's making me very tearful in the couple of days afterwards, which is making me feel very unsettled.  I spent most of yesterday dissolving into tears at the drop of a hat, until early evening. Not a great way to spend the day and a horrible reminder of pre-hrt time.  I don't like the idea that depression may be lurking round the corner...

Has anyone else experience of reflexology?

Thanks, :)

I used to do reflexology and like other therapies it can release deep seated emotions (somtimes called a healing crisis!).  It's good for relaxation and energy. I wouldn't worry that it will make you depressed, it's just opening up emotions that might be stored in the body and cause further physical problems later on.  Hopefully it should settle.  If I have spiritual healing or massage I can sometimes cry as I am relaxing and my feelings are surfacing.  I hope it helps you.. xx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 04:10:41 PM »

Hi 2cats

Sorry to hear you are feeling weepy - but it is unlikely to have anything to do with the reflexology - which is also very unlikely to have kick started your periods. The tearful feelings will be as a result of your own hormones coming into play and this is so characteristic of peri-menopause.

The reflexology hopefully will be a relaxing treatment for you, and presumably calm you to some extent - but your hormones are so powerful that the effect is physiological - making you feel emotional, rather than due to your mental state. Hopefully the continuing relaxation will help you cope with the tears. I had a lot of tears when I was peri-menopausal and before even - as the hormones surged up and down - and I cried a lot. I never worried about it though - just let the tears flow when they needed to. Maybe you can do the same, and assure yourself that if your life is on an even keel at the moment - there is unlikely to be anything seriously mentally amiss.

Hope you feel better soon...

Hurdity x

jorainbow

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:22:43 PM »

Whilst it may well be your hormones don't under estimate the reflexology too! As sap22 says this and other practices like Indian Head massage (which I am qualified in) can result in a 'healing crisis' - sometimes tears, sometimes a cold for a couple of days. It is completely normal so just go with it. I try to do that with any tear s/anxious feelings etc. As Hurdity says - Acknowledge them, let them go and they will pass. Enjoy the reflexology!!!