Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Just Wondering  (Read 2378 times)

toffeecushion

Just Wondering
« on: September 23, 2016, 05:37:55 PM »

I read that the average age of the menopause is 51 years.  So does that mean the average age of the last period is 50 years or is that 51 years?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Just Wondering
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »

Statistics can prove anything they want to prove  ::)

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 07:16:08 PM »

Menopause is defined as the date of the last period - literally meno.... pause - well stop actually!! Therefore if this (51) is given as the average age then it is the date of the last period. However this is only approximate as it depends where the data come from, and crucially the nationality and/or ethnicity, geographical location of the population of women being studied as the average age of menopause varies. Whatever the stats, it is always the same - the date of the last period. So - Menomale - official menopause is not 12 months after the last period - but the actual date of menopause can only be determined in retrospect, ie after 12 months without periods. Could be confusing I guess - it's just necessary to know what the definition is and then all is clear! :)

Hurdity x

lily

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 02:59:09 PM »

My last (i hope) was in January when i had not long turned 53.

nothappybun

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »

Most of my friends that are not on HRT went through menopause before the age of 50, they started peri between 46 and 48 and periods just stopped months before their 50s.

Anna

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 08:23:16 PM »

I'm almost 53, last period was in March.  Going on holiday in a few days and one just started this evening.  I may cry... :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »

Excitement or anxiety!   I remember when we went abroad on School Trips, ALL the girls would come on within 24 hours of arriving in a strange country: different water, time difference + females together triggered hormones  >:(

I had intermittent bleeds for a few years and finally stopped in 2002 - now I have to go away and work out my ages  ::): I may be some time ……….  :whist: