Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Is it too late to restart at 70?  (Read 4727 times)

Stillsearching

Is it too late to restart at 70?
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »

A friend of mine came off  HRT about 10 years ago after being told she had to stop because of the scares at the time. She still suffers some of the symptoms. Her GP has tried her on anti depressants and counselling.  Is it too late for her to try again? She's nearly 70. Are there any tests she could ask for?

Dancinggirl

Re: Is it too late to restart at 70?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 05:32:28 PM »

I think the risks would be too great to start HRT at 70.  If already on HRT then it is often possible to continue at that age provided there are no health issues that prevent it.

What symptoms would this friend want to alleviate?  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:37:30 PM »

Quality of Life has to be taken into account.  'risks' ??? well that bus might come along and run her over before any possible risks happened!  Why is HRT more risky at 70 than any other time?

Maybe she should join the Forum and send a message to Dr Currie?

Stillsearching

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 05:45:50 PM »

I'll speak to her again tomorrow and see what she thinks.

vintagefiend

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »

My 76 yr old mother in law still takes an oestrogen tablet (not sure what strength), having attempted to stop them many years ago! Obviously she hasn't had a break like your friend- I don't know if that makes a difference. Her GP accepts that her life is significantly worse without the oestrogen and she understands the risks of taking it; both are happy for the prescription to continue. My mother in law had a hysterectomy in her 40s, so doesn't have to worry about progestogens (lucky thing!).

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 03:59:40 PM »

Oh how terrible that she came off because of the scares and is still suffering.

Yes the risks are greater after a break of 10 years and especially if you are older. It is the cardiovascular risk which comes into play the older you get and the longer since menopause. From memory (apologies that the details are  a bit hazy) it has to do with atherosclerosis ( hardening of the arteries) and the effect of oestrogen and lack of it on fat metabolism. Apparently taking oestrogen along time after menopause could cause some of the arterial deposits to break away and possibly lead to stroke - apparently in the first year of use.

There is some information on this here (look at risks - the intro paragraph, and section on cardiovascular disease):
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php. It may well be that using transdermal HRT (patch) may not be associated with the same risk. I am sure the docs could test on her risk factors for CV disease and heart health  -  through blood tests etc but whether an NHS doc would prescribe I don't know. If there is a menopause clinic nearby perhaps she could ask for a referral - and speak to a gynae - not a nurse, to discuss this in more depth?

Then there is the issue of progestogens - having to deal with taking these, if she still has a womb....

I agree Stellajane - you do not know if you are going to be one of those whose symptoms never go and by the time you find out that you are - it could be too late to restart.

Hurdity x