Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Waiting for biopsy results  (Read 7077 times)

Snowball

Re: Waiting for biopsy results
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 08:14:07 AM »

Good news the results were OK Mojo. Tranexamic Acid will stem the flow if it is heavy. My doctor gave me a prescription for this after I mentioned that I had been bleeding heavily for two weeks (it had been a few months since my last period). Actually, ibuprofen also slows the amount of bleeding but I wouldn't take it long term as it can upset your stomach.

Does your doctor do telephone consultations Mojo? You could perhaps try asking the receptionist if that is possible so that you get sorted out before your holiday. Try to persuade her that a phone call would be much quicker than a face to face consultation.

Good luck!
S

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2016, 10:50:53 AM »

Ring and ask for Tranexamic Acid!!!!!

Mojo61

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 06:41:00 PM »

Well I went to see the menopause nurse at my GP practice regarding my test results and the consultant's recommendation that I have a mirena coil fitted. She was quite abrupt and basically said that they don't fit coils at the practice, and the FPC won't fit it either because it's not contraception. She said to carry on with the Kliovance and see how it goes but I'm fed up with the constant bleeding and period pains 24/7 (going on holiday soon and don't fancy 2 weeks of bleeding and pain) I asked if she could refer me back to the consultant and she said no, he's already seen me and discharged me back to my GP. I mentioned the awful hair loss and she said that was down to the menopause, but I've been in menopause for 4 years and didn't have hair loss until I started the HRT! I was trying to explain all this to her but she actually said "Be quiet for a moment because I'm trying to concentrate" as she studied the BNF about citalopram and hair loss because she claimed it was a side effect of SSRI's.

So I'm a bit stuck now and thinking of just stopping HRT altogether rather than put up with continual bleeding and pain.

Mary G

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 08:18:31 PM »

Mojo61, she sounds like a real charmer.  That is appalling and I suggest you seek help privately at the first opportunity.  It is this poor level of service that has driven so many of us to go the private route.  My experience was equally dreadful, the GP took endless phone calls during the consultation, told me she could not prescribe HRT and then stood up and terminated the consultation - what a waste of space.

I know you should not have to pay for health care but it is your life and your time and I would not have any confidence of any of the people you have seen.  Why not treat yourself to a consultation with a real professional who actually knows what they are talking about and who actually understands the menopause and HRT?  At least you will get the right type of HRT at the right dose and it will be money well spent.

Professor Studd (and other private practitioners I believe) will write to his patient's GP with his recommended prescription and he may well be able to request you have a Mirena fitted.  I think they would find it hard to refuse under those circumstances.

Mojo61

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 04:29:47 AM »

Thanks for your replies. Sadly I can't afford to go private, I lost my husband a few years ago and I survive on widowed parents benefit and child tax credits. Paying for private treatment would be out of the question unless I took out a loan and I really don't want to do that.

Hasty - I did ask to be referred back to the consultant but she said he's already seen and discharged me back to my GP as his job is done.

Stillsearching

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 11:08:39 AM »

Mojo, so much of your experience is like mine. The biopsy constant bleeding And gp that doesn't fit Mirena. I had my first one fitted at the hospital at the same time as the biopsy. If I were you I would 1) Change GP and 2) ring the secretary of the consultant who did your biopsy and explain your problem. I have always found the hospital secretaries really helpful. Your GP and practice nurse sound dreadful. X

sap22

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 01:24:54 PM »

Great news - got my results in the post today for my cervical polyp and endometrial biopsies and they were both normal! I'm so pleased, but I still need to follow this up because I continue to bleed constantly and I'm getting fed up with it.

I believe the plan now is to fit the mirena coil and then have separate oestrogen either via patch or tablet. Any advice please? I still feel very sick especially in the morning, anxiety getting a bit better but that could be the fact I've been on citalopram for 5 months, and I feel jittery a lot of the time. Sleep is hit and miss, the only thing that's gone completely are the night sweats.

Hi Mojo, I am really pleased for you and know only too well how stressful it is awaiting results and one tries to be strong.  I have separate oestrogen (patch) Estradot and progesterone (Utrogestan) but am not a guru like others here who will be able to advise you more because I've only done 3.5 months myself and am still trying to get the balance right.  But anyway all the best to you, as it can be all quite scarey  xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »

I haven't ever lost my hair and I've been taking ADs since the 1990s.  If you are aware that the hair loss is more recent then it may well be associated with hormones.  Perhaps have a look-see at Trevor Sorbie's web-site (bumped) - he deals with people who have hair loss and is interested in making good wigs so might be the place to start!  Find a good hairdresser around your area who can give advice?

Ring the Consultant's secretary mid-Monday morning and ask the question - explain that the GP refuses to fit a Mirena though why  :-\.  It may be that the Consultant will ask you back to do the fitting but if you don't ask you won't find out. 

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 02:39:48 PM by CLKD »

Mary G

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »

Mojo61, have your thought about making a formal complaint about the level of treatment you have received?  You could go to your surgery and speak to the practice manager and run the whole debacle past him/her and see if that gets you anywhere.  I don't see how they can refuse to fit a Mirena coil full stop, it doesn't make any sense.  The practice manager might at least be able to sort out somewhere that will fit it (could they make an exception re fitting it at the FPC?) if they will not refer you back to the consultant. 

Definitely don't give up on this one.
Pages: 1 [2]