Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can't find time to exercise  (Read 6347 times)

dulciana

Can't find time to exercise
« on: September 22, 2016, 10:00:21 PM »

That might seem slightly funny and a bit pathetic, but it's true - I can't find time to exercise and it's getting me down and keeping my weight up.  I have to do practising (another qualification looming) in the mornings and I teach 20 minutes' drive away in the afternoons, with odd visits to Dad throughout the week, in between.  Lots of sitting down, either at the organ or behind the car wheel.  Add to this my weekends which are taken up with the weekly shop and practising for Sunday's service and I have either no time or no energy left to exercise.  I know I should, for my general health and to lose the pounds that I need to.  I was a size 12 from my early teens right up until about four years ago, but now I'm a constant 14 (I'm 5'2") with a not-very-attractive over-padded middle.   I don't overeat and when I'm at home in the mornings, I have an orange and a glass of water instead of coffee and biscuits or whatever.  So I know we're all supposed to build exercise into our days, and I really want to get fit and trim again, but I just don't know how to.   :-\ :-\   Any helpful suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:04:56 PM by dulciana »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can't find time to exercise
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:07:53 PM »

Were you watching Dr Chris at 9.00 p.m. when he advised a group of people to stop taking statins etc. and go walking 30 mins. 5/6 days each week?  Like you, I can't find time to go walking on a regular basis  :-\, whereas until 2002 I was walking 2.5 miles at least 3 times a day and often further. After my dog was pts I put on nearly 2 stone, which went when I borrowed the neighbour's puppy - it took 14 months to get down to 8 stone, heavier than I had ever been  :o

I do a lot in my garden as well as housework …. what exercise do you do around the house/garden/work situation?

Pushing a shopping trolley is exercise! as is working those pedals on an organ.  Be kinder to yourself, you do more than you realise  ::).  Do you live in a property with stairs, if so, run up rather than walk.  Push the hoovery-thingy round more often.  Use a mop for the hard floors …….  making the bed uses up energy, I'm watching Himself making the bed round me  ::).  Ours is 6 foot across which means a lot of walking  ;D

Communication burns up calories as it's a kind of nervous energy.  If you talk with someone on the 'phone, walk around?

getting_old

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 10:14:45 PM »

I need to get fitter but here's what I do to try to get some exercise:
- park the car further from the shop / office
- take the stairs not the lift / escalator (sometimes they take some finding!)
- if somewhere is less than a 10 minute drive away I try to walk (not always practical given the roads but)
I do find that once I start walking I'm motivated to do more. It's just the initial push / kick up the rear that I find hard. I know a few people who arrange to walk with a friend which makes it a social occasion so more fun. I do this when I skate so it doesn't feel like I'm exercising  ;)

bramble

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 10:16:38 PM »

I have the opposite problem at the mo - desperately need to put weight on. Weight has melted off me in the last few months due to anxiety and I need to put on at least a stone. Any tips welcome. Hey ho,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.............

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »

Exercise to keep as healthy as possible.  Eat little and often?  Do you cook for yourself Bramble or have a good cafe to visit on a regular basis?

Scampi

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 07:14:29 AM »

I know the feeling - I get up at 0530, leave the house at 0610, commute almost an hour and a half to a full-time sedentary job, leave work at 1600, get home between 1730 and 1800 .... add into the mix chronic (and sometimes crashing) fatigue from inflammatory arthritis and I'm not sure what day it is half the time, never mind finding time or energy to exercise! 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 07:22:27 AM »

Until this summer and my bad knee I walked every single day for 30 minutes and I could do 1.5 miles in that time which is a good,brisk pace. I miss it so much.  In addition I used to take the dog for a walk every morning but that was much slower as he was elderly.  I also belong to a healthy walking group and quite often I would do a morning walk with them of 3-4 miles.

The best time for me was late afternoon.  I used to finish all my jobs in the house or get back from wherever I'd been and do my walk before I started preparing the evening meal. 30 minutes is easy enough to find .... I had friends who used to say "it's alright for you but I don't have 30 minutes spare" yet they would be texting, reading the paper and having coffee or emailing for much longer than that.

Of course everybody's circumstances are different but my friend used to get an hour for lunch at work and walked for 30 mins of that.

dulciana

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »

Thank you, everyone.  I've only just got back (it's now after 5pm) and had a look at your really helpful advice, which I'll take a look at after tea.    :foryou:  Then I'll do something about it!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 06:50:18 PM »

Let us know your plans - we can join in !

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 07:09:02 PM »

DH and I are starting yoga using an App on my iPad as my daughter has recommended. We are going to start with just 5mins to start with to build up the habit. If we do more it will be a bonus and we can do it when we have a spare few minutes and not commit time and money to a class. It will help to have someone to be accountable to until, maybe, I might actually enjoy it! Pigs may fly.

Dana

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 04:43:24 AM »

Sometimes you just have to think outside the box. An example of something I used to do when I was working and couldn't seem to fit in any exercise before or after work is this.

I used to catch the train to work, and it would take me about 10 minutes to walk from work to the closest station in the afternoon. The next station was another 20 minute walk away. So instead of going to the closest station I would walk to the next one, and that was a total of a 30 minute walk. With the way the trains ran, and allowing for time spent waiting on the platform, it usually meant that I got home only after 15-20 minutes after my normal time. I could also do this in reverse in the mornings. Sometimes I would also go for a walk during my lunch break.

This idea may not suit your lifestyle or schedule, but if you think outside the box I'm sure you can work out something that will fit in. Perhaps if you have to park your car somewhere, instead of parking close park a distance away so you have to walk. Take the stairs instead of the lift. If you can't walk because it's too cold, too dark or you're too nervous on your own etc, go walking at your local shopping centre. I'm sure you can think of something.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:47:04 AM by Dana »

kpatton56

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 06:45:04 AM »

Jane Fonda has some recent work outs. Look up Jane Fonda Walking Cardio Workout Level 1
Easy to do and a good place to start. Not too strenuous 😀

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »

We went for a brisk walk this morning B4 settling down to watch MotoGP Qualifying.  ::)

Does anyone else put TV B4 exercise ….. we have a treadmill upstairs!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 07:45:14 PM »

Would ruin the carpet though  ;D and it's noisy …….