Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Appendix cancer update  (Read 5115 times)

marras

Appendix cancer update
« on: September 22, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »

Hi there, you may or may not remember but following an emergency operation for a burst appendix I was told the removed appendix contained a malignant tumour. I was referred to Basingstoke, the Hampshire clinic, to undergo cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC (hot Intraperitoneal chemotherapy). This was recommended as an aggressive surgery which would give me the best chance of survival. Although I had a CT scan which was clear, apparently CT scans only pick up tumours larger than 1cm.
I underwent the procedure (only carried out in two places in this country) on 22 August.  To say that the whole thing was hideous is an understatement! The surgeons removed two sections of bowel (ascending and descending) the greater and lesser omentom, ovaries, uterus and Fallopian tubes, and stripped the paracolic gutters. The cavity was then filled with heated liquid chemotherapy and left for one hour. The whole procedure took 7 hours. I was in hospital for 16 days. I am now recovering at home and feeling exceptionally weak and can only shower and get dressed in the mornings and that's it! Tests revealed cancer cells on the outside of the descending colon which wouldn't have been found without opening me up, so I'm glad I made the decision to have the operation. I now have to see an oncologist to discuss further chemo if they think it necessary.
This has been, and still is, the biggest challenge of my life and these days of such slow recovery are interminable. BUT I'm still alive. Sorry for the length of this email. Love to you all :)

Scampi

Re: Appendix cancer update
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »

I couldn't just read and run ....

I admire your bravery to go through such major surgery and aggressive treatment - I'm not surprised you're still wiped out! 

Don't beat yourself up about still being weak - it's only a month since you had it done!  It's not that long ago you would still have been in hospital after such a major op, never mind the chemo! 

My thoughts are with you, and I wish you a full and uneventful recovery xxx

Justjules

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »

Oh my goodness Marras - what an ordeal!  I am so glad to hear it all appeared to go well and fingers now crossed for a full recovery.  Like Scampi says, very early days.  I had major bowel surgery when I was in my twenties and it took me a long time to get any strength back.  Time to be gentle with yourself, let others support and nuture you back to health.  Plenty of good food once you feel like it, like nutritious soups and complan by the gallon until you get your proper appetite back.  You've had one hell of a shock to your whole body but it is an amazing thing and has extraordinary powers to heal itself more than we realise. 

Love and hugs to you xx

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 11:36:51 AM »

Love and hugs to you xxx

Jenna

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »

Hi marras,

I really admire you and I wish you all the very, very best for the future. Just take things easy for now, as the others have said with their wise words.

Sending you healing thoughts.

Love Jenna xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 12:17:12 PM »

I was thinking about you in the early hours, so thanks for the update!

Be KIND to you  :for you: ……… what support do you have around you?  Make notes to ask the Oncologist when your appt. arrives.  Take someone with you?

When I had a breast lump removed which showed changes at histology, I underwent precautionary radiation treatment to zap any cells floating around.  So there are plenty of options.

Lots of love.

marras

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 06:35:15 PM »

Thank you all for your kind replies. My lovely husband is looking after me very well and has even been giving me my (DVT) injections every day! I had been warned that the first six weeks post op are the worst and it will be three months before I feel anything like my old self. Nevertheless, used to being active I am finding it all frustrating. One positive though is I no longer have to worry about progesterone as I no longer have a womb so can continue with my oestrogen patch. My lovely surgeon even let me continue with the patch during my time in hospital. However, although he said that nothing I had done had caused my cancer, my mind has been running riot and wondering if the HRT patch caused it as the cancer manifest itself just where I used to put the patch: on the right and left side low down on my abdomen. Paranoid?!!  ???

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 07:47:18 PM »

Thank you for the update, marras. I was told that oestrogen helps with the healing. I hope you sleep well, plenty of sleep. Are you up up to reading and rubbish tv? I enjoyed listening to unabridged recordings of novels from the library. You can be whisked off into another world without any effort. I wish you well and accept all the love, support and kindnesses that flow your way. Ju Ju xx

dazned

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »

Sending my best wishes and strength. Take it slowly,dont be in a rush to be up and about,put you first.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »

Hi there, you may or may not remember but following an emergency operation for a burst appendix I was told the removed appendix contained a malignant tumour. I was referred to Basingstoke, the Hampshire clinic, to undergo cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC (hot Intraperitoneal chemotherapy). This was recommended as an aggressive surgery which would give me the best chance of survival. Although I had a CT scan which was clear, apparently CT scans only pick up tumours larger than 1cm.
I underwent the procedure (only carried out in two places in this country) on 22 August.  To say that the whole thing was hideous is an understatement! The surgeons removed two sections of bowel (ascending and descending) the greater and lesser omentom, ovaries, uterus and Fallopian tubes, and stripped the paracolic gutters. The cavity was then filled with heated liquid chemotherapy and left for one hour. The whole procedure took 7 hours. I was in hospital for 16 days. I am now recovering at home and feeling exceptionally weak and can only shower and get dressed in the mornings and that's it! Tests revealed cancer cells on the outside of the descending colon which wouldn't have been found without opening me up, so I'm glad I made the decision to have the operation. I now have to see an oncologist to discuss further chemo if they think it necessary.
This has been, and still is, the biggest challenge of my life and these days of such slow recovery are interminable. BUT I'm still alive. Sorry for the length of this email. Love to you all :)
  I was really shocked to read your original account because I had never heard of cancer of the appendix. i hope that you will rebuild your strength soon and won't need chemo.

katejo

countrybumpkin

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 02:37:58 PM »

Oh my that was some surgery and treatment to go through. I would imagine it will take a long time to recover from so don't push yourself too hard.
I know someone who had a carcinoid tumour in her appendix - this is the most common type of appendix cancer and is usually only found when the appendix cuases problems and is removed.
Carcinoid and endocrine tumours cannot be caused by hrt patches but I can totally understand your putting two and two together and getting 100.
Sending healing and stay calm vibes your way and hope you start to feel a bit better very soon xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 02:41:43 PM »

If your Consultant was prepared to let you continue with the HRT then I think you can put that to the back of your mind.  I had 3-4 months HRT years B4 breast cancer treatment and of course it was at the back of *my* mind  ::).

Rest.  Watch plenty of rubbish TV.  Sit out in the fresh air.  Lots of TLC!  Keep posting.

groundhog

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 10:05:21 PM »

Marras - I just wanted to say hello and if I could give you a massive hug I would.  Sounds hideous - now time for recovery - look after yourself,  rest,  relax and please keep posting xx

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 11:39:45 PM »

I'm so pleased to hear from you Marras. Well done in getting through such a gruelling operation and here's to a good recovery. It is a really radical procedure and, as you say, only two centres in the UK are equipped to carry this out. As others have said it is time to be kind to yourself and try to relax to give your body as much chance to heal as possible. Keep us informed as to how you are getting on please  :)

Taz  xx :bighug: