Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Making plans for old age - one for our older members!!  (Read 9424 times)

Justjules

Re: Making plans for old age - one for our older members!!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »

Menomale, have a Google of 'Buckshaw Retirement Village, Chorley, England' for info and images but like CKLD says, it's a huge project but obviously not impossible if you have investors etc.  You have got to like communal living unless you have no choice in the matter when the time comes to have to perhaps consider this option. x

Jenna

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 11:39:10 AM »

Here is some more interesting information for you, Menomale:

http://www.extracare.org.uk/research/

Jenna

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 12:03:41 PM »

I don't have any first hand experience of this Menomale, but I wouldn't say they are too expensive for the average person because if you have a house to sell, you can then buy one of the flats or you can also rent (and could probably receive help with that) or there is even shared ownership. This particular one is run by a charitable trust, so it would be different to private developments as it is not run for profit. We seem to be seeing more and more of these retirement villages here now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 02:41:40 PM »

Adding more insulation in the roof space isn't always wise despite what we are told, something to do with condensation …. causing damage to the timbers.  Also, it is not a good idea to put insulation over any light fittings i.e. recessed in the bathroom, as it can become hot and is then a fire risk. 

I would like a large enough room to put all our stuff so that the rest of the property is calm  :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 04:56:17 PM »

Where we have or rather DH, has increased insulation, it has been noticeably warmer, thus reducing fuel bills. Don't worry! The light fittings have plenty of ventilation! My son was a retained fire fighter when he lived here, so he is 'hot' about these things! It's a useful space for storage. We did seek advice on whether we could convert it into living space, but because of how the roof is constructed, it would have to be rebuilt. Not impossible, but very pricey. Not worth it, even if we could have afforded it.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 05:53:19 PM »

I think for conversion one has to be able to stand upright in 85% of the loft space ….. we have lots of stuff in ours …… eventually it will be cleared as we go to Sales.

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »

I've lost so many friends to cancer who are either my age or younger that I don't think I'll make a really old age. It seems to be tempting fate to plan for it

Taz x  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 06:56:20 PM »

We both have longevity in our genes ……. apparently  ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 08:07:32 AM »

Longevity depends on many things.

My mum's parents died young, 50s and 60s, but lived through the depression, poverty, wars and dysfunctional relationships. Her 3 siblings also died young, insecure in relationships, finance, smoking etc. Mum had a stroke in her 60s, due to as doctor described extreme grief. She had no precursors like high blood pressure, but her behaviour was extreme (warning to me). But she is still alive at 89. Frail, health very much up and down as you know, but she's still there with quality of life most of the time. The difference between her and her siblings and parents is that she is in a happy marriage and because of great care with finances and owning their own home, no stress there.

Now many of my dads family have lived to great ages, some as his cousin, over a hundred. Dad is 91. His secret? Must be genetics. Keeping fit? Never seen him run, swim or anything sporty, he had a desk job, never worried about his diet, but he has been overweight. He is a quiet, introverted, calm person. He has had stress and trauma, like surviving his home being bombed and destroyed in WW2. My conclusion is that it's a combination of genetics and environment and maybe luck!

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 12:39:42 PM »

My Grandads died 'young', 55 and 72. Both went through 1st and 2nd WW. Their wives lived into their 80s, Mum's siblings are 85, 91 and her sister died when aged 84 (10 years ago).  She will be 90 in November.  Dad was 75 when he died, his brothers lived into their 80s. 

My ancestors had lots of exercise which I think kept them healthy. Everything was freshly cooked.  Probably not much variation and probably no excess foods, any left overs were cooked up and not thrown.  They didn't even make a Will!   

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 12:59:55 PM »

My Dad lived to 85 and Mum is now 92.  My FIL died young at only 62 but my MIL died a few days before her 80th.  Hubby's side all have cancers and very high blood pressure. Hubby has the BRCA gene. DAughter doesn't and son doesn't want to be tested.  Hubby's Mum had it, his sister has it and has double mastectomy and his niece had it and also double mastectomy in her late 20s.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 02:29:05 PM by Pennyfarthing »

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »

R they 'living' with cancer though ;-).  There's a huge difference.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 02:31:56 PM »

R they 'living' with cancer though ;-).  There's a huge difference.

Just edited my post re the cancers.  My mum has had bowel cancer twice ... Different strains. My Dad had cancer of the oesophogus which I believe started in the prostate.  He was very healthy all his life until the last couple of years and once the cancer was diagnosed in his oesophogus it was just 3 months until he died.

Dana

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2016, 05:15:06 AM »

I think a lot of it depends on your personality - some prefer not to think about these things, but i'm one who finds comfort in having plans to cover all eventualities in my head. I try to get OH to do likewise because the reality is one day one of us will be alone and (hopefully) old.

I've always been the type to plan for the future, especially seeing how things went for my parents who stayed in their home long after they should have because they were too stubborn to listen to anyone. I have longevity in my genes so I need to consider that I could just live to 100. I already have an aunt whose 100th birthday is next year, and parents and other aunts and uncles who have died in their late 80s and early 90s. 

I'm sure other countries have similar things, but in Australia we have what is called "Aging in Place" which is a set up where you buy a self-contained apartment or townhouse in a senior's complex and that is where you stay for the rest of your life. Even if you end up with dementia, provided you don't become violent, you stay in your own home and the nursing care comes to you. These places can be expensive, but not really any more than what your house is worth, so you sell your house and you buy one of these places. They are also like living in 5 star resorts. They have everything you could need right on site.

Anyway, I've already made up my mind that this is what I'll be doing maybe in about 10-15 years time, when I'll be in my early 70s, because I don't have children to watch out for me, so I have to watch out for myself and make my own plans while I'm still young and fit enough to make and adapt to the move..... and to enjoy the luxury :). There is no way I want to be a little old lady still living in a house with a garden.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 07:46:57 PM »

Our Draft Wills arrived today.  Need to read them through and add anything required.
Pages: 1 [2] 3