Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Same dose for all?  (Read 1348 times)

Spangles

Same dose for all?
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:34:04 PM »

Hi Ladies,
Last cycle I forgot my Utrogestan and only took 9 days instead of 12, I still got my bleed, the pain however was so bearable. The norm for me is that my pain is so debilitating I am not able to go to work. This month I have taken 10 days just to see what happens, if it's the same I am going to speak to my GP and see if I can stick to it. I also read online so where that excess progesterone can cause painful periods! Well who knew? The point I am trying to make is that I don't think one dose suits all, I know 12 days is recommended but we are all different shapes and sizes. As long as you get a bleed that is normal for you does it really matter that much?
Shellb
xXx

nothappybun

Re: Same dose for all?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 10:08:12 PM »

Hi Shellb,
I have no idea and new in this. What you say makes a lot of sense to me. It's like body temperature, what is considered normal to me is a fever as my base temp has always been very low. With children they do take into account weights not only age, alcohol affects some people more than others so this should be the same.
Hope someone that knows replies

Hurdity

Re: Same dose for all?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 03:46:01 PM »

Shellb - we frequently discuss this very same issue about progesterone doses. The thing is the dose recommended comes from trials and without personalised prescriptions has to be at the dose which is safest for most women. By that I mean that the risk of endometrial hyperplasia (from an over-thickened womb lining due to too much oestrogen and insufficient progesterone) is minimised.

The dose that is right for you can only be determined by your having regular scans and if you are peri-menopausal anyway it's a movable feast since your own cycle is changing as your ovarian activity waxes and wanes and your hormones surge and fall.

I don't think that's right about the painful periods - I mean if the progesterone is doing its job your lining (that was stimulated by oestrogen) will change and then all be shed following withdrawal of the progesterone, pain or not. If the dose of progesterone is higher than you need it is unlikely to cause any more pain than you normally get - but sadly if you suffer from painful periods this may well continue while you are taking HRT and especially if you have your own cycle too.

Ten days progesterone certainly reduces the chances of endometrial hyperplasia in trials that were done - but does not eliminate the risk completely - but if you still have a cycle you will also be producing some of your own progesterone. Why don't you discuss it with your doc - but also request that you have a scan after a year or so to check whether your lining is OK after your bleed?

Hurdity x