Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Citalopram  (Read 2913 times)

linz57

Citalopram
« on: August 30, 2016, 03:51:51 PM »

I read somewhere recently that a woman who took Citalopram found it not only helped her anxiety,  but also lessened the pains from her sore joints.
I have been prescribed this drug but so far have been reluctant to try it due to years ago suffering an adverse reaction to an AD called Dutonin. My joint pains are coming back pretty bad at the moment even though I'm taking systemic hrt,  so I was wondering if any ladies on here have found it helpful for joints and muscles? 

babyjane

Re: Citalopram
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 03:59:51 PM »

hi linz57, I take the sister drug called escitalopram which is kinder as it does not have the same degree of side effects.  I am hyper sensitive to all drugs and chemicals but I can tolerate this one at a low dose (after the initial few weeks of adjusting to it.)

linz57

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »

Thanks babyjane, do you need to take a higher dose of escitslopram than Citalopram? Do you find it helps any aches and pains?

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 05:04:41 PM »

no you actully need less because it doesn't have stuff in that causes so many side effects.  I was told that 5mg escitalopram is equal to approximately 10mg citalopram. I do think it helps with aches and pains because it helps me relax.     hope that helps  :)

linz57

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:22:35 PM »

Yes it does  babyjane, thanks again for the info. I was wondering if the help with pain relief was partly connected to bring more relaxed. Now I just need to bite the bullet and give it a go!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 10:18:59 PM »

Or take an OTC pain relief ………  ???

linz57

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 07:16:19 AM »

I'm currently plastered in Voltarol 12 hour gel, but thought with the Citalopram I could  maybe kill two birds with one stone, lessen the pain and feel less anxious.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »

How R U now?

linz57

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 06:56:43 PM »

Still sore but I'm alternating between the Voltarol and co dydramol. I'm off to the sun in a couple of weeks and am hoping a combination of the heat and a few gins will work wonders!

nigela

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 10:42:40 AM »

Hi Linz
You sound just like me. I have a few friends on citaloram and I have always thought not for me. Now I am wondering if I should ask my new GP for it, my retired one suggested it many years ago for ibs and for joint pain. I am sure I have either fibromyalgia or ankylosing sponylitis with all the back and neck pain plus headaches and tiredness-all got pout down to meno-but non of my friends are like this! Now experiencing really bad ectopics that Gp also detected in pulse and having to wait up to 18 weeks for a 24 hour ecg! So making me more anxious. I have had panic attack symptoms too.Let me know how you get on please. Also those of you who take this-how was the first few weeks on it? I have heard the side effects can be bad. Was hoping ike you it may help me all round!
Thanks
Nigela

linz57

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 12:37:46 PM »

Hi nigella, I still haven't tried the Citalopram yet as I don't want to be suffering side effects while I'm away on holiday. However, the way I have been  feeling recently has made me think I really do need something. Like you, I'm riddled with joint and muscle pains that are tiring and these in turn make me feel more down and anxious. If I do take the pills I'll let you know.🙂

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »

Nigella - anklylosising spondolitis is an obvious orthopaedic condition which can be managed, it isn't a matter of "I am sure I have ……. "!!  Exercise can help.  Maybe see a physio for advice?  Too many pain 'killers' can cause the body to become used to them therefore, as with Valium=type treatment, causing the sufferer to require more and more and ……