Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hrt alternative advice needed.  (Read 1717 times)

Lyns37

Hrt alternative advice needed.
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:09:53 AM »

My consultant and gp want me to start hrt for reasons you will already know.  I'm concerned because my mum had oestrogen receptive breast cancer that was discovered by accident. She didn't have a lump, but lots of small clusters. Had it got to lump stage it would have been too late. She was only in her 40s too so under the regular screening age. I still have not been screened and am fighting to be seen.  We also have a family history of heart disease. 
My question is, is there a hrt alternative that will help protect my heart and bones but without oestrogen? I'm not concerned about meno symptoms at the moment, just my long term health. 

Thanks
L

dahliagirl

Re: Hrt alternative advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »

Look at lifestyle measures (which you should look at even if you are taking hrt)

Good general health

Plenty vit D, plenty dietary calcium (preferable to supplements which can cause problems for some people), plenty cardiovascular exercise for heart, weight bearing and jumping for bones.  No smoking, little alcohol, good diet.

If you have a problem you can take bisphosphonates but I am not sure about using them long term - probably cause other problems.

https://www.nos.org.uk/healthy-bones-and-risks