Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Levels of FSH etc  (Read 1826 times)

Mary1962

Levels of FSH etc
« on: September 19, 2016, 05:40:36 AM »

I had my hormone levels tested by the GP a couple of months ago to see where they were - I think both FSH and the other one (LSH I think) were in the 50s area - GP said I was in if not out the other side of menopause rather than in perimenopause anymore but I thought they had to be over 100 for that or have I got that wrong? I wasn't sure if it differed for people or is there a guideline figure for them?

Cecelia

Re: Levels of FSH etc
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:03:56 AM »

My FHS level was 28. Lab said it was within the post menopausal range.

dazned

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 08:05:07 AM »

Unfortunately blood tests dont really show/help in menopause as it only gives a snap shot on that given day which is why gps should perscribe on symptoms not tests. Hormones fluctuate wildly at this point so not much if anything can be gleaned from readings.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 08:50:22 AM »

Mary1962 - when was your last naturally period? Blood tests are notoriously unreliable so they should probably be done 2-3 times over a few weeks to really get the full picture.  Some women suddenly get periods again after a few months of nothing! GPs should diagnose on the symptoms you are getting really.
I think your results do indicate menopause but exactly where you are in the meno journey is tricky. DG x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »

My FSH was over 150 and I still had periods so I agree that they are an unreliable way to test for where you are in the menopause journey. I think that anything over 25 shows that ovaries are beginning to fail?

Taz x