Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Spider Season  (Read 5367 times)

Night_Owl

Spider Season
« on: September 16, 2016, 08:18:03 PM »

We've had three HUGE ones already, each time scuttling across the living room floor at high, unnerving speed - I am okay with the small-ish ones but the big ones, yukk I really hate them, arachnophobe here.

I will be gathering conkers to place around the house - not sure if they really make much difference though.

How do you deal with the unwelcome visitors ....

ellie

Re: Spider Season
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:23:27 PM »

Get DH to deal with them, I am terrified......So bad that I carnt even touch a picture of one. 😩.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »

I added my thoughts in the 'wild animals/nature' thread - and conkers do not work, I had cobwebs made over the ones I had in one corner  ::)

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 08:40:48 PM »

I'm terrified too and we've had a few so far

The conkers didn't help when I did it a couple of years ago

Plus, I have an abnormal amount of eye floaters which give the impression of spiders in my side vision 😳

littleminnie

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 08:03:06 AM »

I'm not overly fond of them either, they seem to have started coming in earlier this year.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 11:24:24 AM »

Came to lots of dead daddy long legs after a week away!. I don't mind the spiders though.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 12:33:39 PM »

Rolled newspaper deals with both  ;) ……. or a pint glass with a thick piece of cardboard to catch them in?  I hate those that insist on crawling back inside as fast as I push them outside  ;D

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »

Hello ladies.

We are also seeing huge specimens! Here they are referred to as 'harvest spiders' because they are often seen at this time of year. I thought that meant that they came into the house because the harvest had disturbed them but apparently it's the  mating season  and they are looking for a mate. Whatever the reason they don't bother me at all. Infact  I was desposing of one yesterday and realised that spiders are  one of the few things that don't frighten me at the moment! I guess even the reach of the mighty menopause anxiety has it's limits!

Take care all.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 05:55:43 PM »

We have full bodied autumn spiders here, which build webs in the most inappropriate places then sit in the middle - 'harvestmen' are thin with knobbly knees  ;D

dulciana

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 08:51:03 PM »

The conkers didn't help when I did it a couple of years ago

Maybe if you threw the conkers at them, Annie............. ::)  Reminds me of a silly story I once read, about a man who had problems with moths in his house, so he went out and bought a bag of mothballs.  When he went back again for another bag, the shop assistant said his moth problem must be terrible, to need so many mothballs - to which the man replied, "Not really, it's just that the little blighters are so hard to hit......."     :) :)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 09:56:16 PM »

:lol:

we haven't seen any large ones indoors since I last added to this thread - lots outside, why do they spin their webs at chin height?