Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: HRT and high blood pressure - Cause or cure? Ditto depression.  (Read 3299 times)

Kikie

HRT and high blood pressure - Cause or cure? Ditto depression.
« on: November 30, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »

I'm trying to decide if being on HRT again (2 months now) for the first time in about 5 or 6 years has caused my BP to increase, or if it is just the persistent cold/flu/chest type bugs and high levels of stress that I've had to deal with for several months.  My BP was nicely under control until recently but unfortunately I hadnt been checking it for a while before the HRT so I can't tie things neatly.

And, if it is the HRT, would that be the Progesterone (Utrogestan) or the Oestrogel, or an inbalance between the two? :-)  Anyone have a measure for a piece of string. I'm travelling but yes I will be trying to see a doc in the next couple of weeks when I have a settled period ahead.

I've read recently that some doctors now believe HRT should help with BP by making the arteries more elastic but remember old articles saying HRT is bad for high BP!

Depression.  Basically exactly the same questions.  Struggling very badly at the moment. I was diagnosed and treated for depression and generalised anxiety many years ago so I recognise it and know how bad it is. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT and high blood pressure - Cause or cure? Ditto depression.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »

Do you feel that the depression is like years ago, if so have a chat about trying medication - this run-up to C.mas and New Year can be awful anyway  >:(.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 08:05:35 PM »

Was your BP measured at the docs? If so why not buy a home monitor and take readings yourself? You could then check it once a week perhaps ( need to take several readings in a day I think). When my husband did this, his BP went from high to normal!

There are lots of ways to control BP as I expect you know. Here is the Mayo clinic list of 10 things you can do:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/in-depth/high-blood-pressure/art-20046974

Stress of course is a number one cause so yes if you have had depression in the past and you know it is not hormonal - and if HRT has not helped then it is time to look at other treatments (notwithstanding the advice in the link and all the other non-medical approaches on offer. Nomorepanic is a good website I've been told: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/

Hurdity x

Jaki T

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 12:36:51 AM »

I know that oestrogen has raised my BP in the past and I had to have treatment for hypertension so I personally wouldn't take it but everyone is different. I also suffer with anxiety, a lifelong thing, and so I avoid anything that might me feel jittery!

I think you have to be happy with what you are taking and also monitor your BP

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 03:39:28 PM »

It depends on the type of oestrogen amongst other things - not least the individual's response. There is no comparison for example between the (very strong) synthetic oestrogens that are in the BCP, and estradiol which is the oestrogen in most HRT, but they are all called oestrogen!

Hurdity x

Kikie

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 09:42:20 AM »

I have a home monitor and am now trying to remember to check a few times a day.  RE depression, yes I've a nasty feeling I may have to go back on something.  Very annoying. I tried so hard to do without any drugs, then got stuck with BP meds, then HRT (ok that was by choice) and now possibly Prozac or summat like again. Grrrrr.  I havent sorted out a local doctor yet near our new home. We only moved in last weekend and I've been scared of driving lately (different medical issue, not the confident person I used to be), so reliant on my partner.  Thanks for the links Hurdity, I shall check them out.  ;D