Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Oestrogel for Migraines.  (Read 2849 times)

elsie001

Oestrogel for Migraines.
« on: September 16, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »

Does anyone else only use Oestrogel just before their period?

I recently started having horrible hormonal migraines in the run-up to my period starting (I have the mirena fitted so period is very scant).  Painkillers don't work, infact some even make it worse, but the gel seems to dampen it down a little - I still have to endure the migraines for 3-5 days.  Am pretty sure my oestrogen levels are fine for the rest of the month at the moment as I don't suffer hot flushes.

Just wondered if anyone else does anything similar or has a more successful treatment for migraines (my symptoms are intense pain, nausea & very sensitive to light). I'm 50 and peri. 

Elizabethrose

Re: Oestrogel for Migraines.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 08:40:34 AM »

Hi elsie001

I'm really sorry that you are struggling with the migraines, they are beasts to deal with.

I can't advise re the hrt I'm afraid, it just created bigger migraine problems for me, though some women find that the correct balance does help.

I've tried many many things over the years and the only acute meds I've found to work are Frovatriptan, which has a long half life and therefore helps with menstrual migraine which are much more likely to rebound, and Diclofenac Sodium suppositories which allow you to bypass the stomach which is in stasis.

Avoid any opiate derived pain killers as they will aggravate the nausea and sickness when the stomach is in stasis. I have been prescribed them in the past and within minutes of taking them they would be swiftly expelled!!

I'm afraid the only way I find some escape is to take the meds, tuck myself away in a dark, quiet space with absolutely no stimulus and try to weather the storm. Fovatriptan should only be taken after the prodrome and aura have ended and the headache starts. It can take a while to work depending on whether the migraine sweeps in like a bat out of hell or it's a slow burner.

I wish you well elsie, they are pesky things!! x

« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:22:34 AM by Elizabethrose »

elsie001

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 05:42:38 PM »

Thanks Elizabeth, I'll mention Frovatriptan to my GP next time I see her.  Migralieve definitely makes me feel worse!

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 07:51:16 PM »

elsie001, when did you have the Mirena fitted and did the migraines start before or after you had it fitted?

The reason I ask is because I started getting silent migraines (migraine aura without headache) just before my periods stopped and I had a Mirena for contraception purposes at the time.  The migraines started 2 years before my periods stopped completely and always struck just before a period when my oestrogen levels were low.  I had never had a problem before menopause.

After much research and consulting Professor Studd and Professor MacGregor, I now know that my migraines are triggered by synthetic progesterone in conjunction with low oestrogen.  Unfortunately, although the progesterone from the Mirena is mostly confined to the womb, enough of it gets into your overall system to affect you if you are sensitive.

I would definitely give Oestrogel a try because introducing higher levels of oestrogen may well keep the migraines away.  I wish I had tried Oestrogel with the Mirena (I used oestrogen patches but they didn't work) but I am severely intolerant to all types of synthetic progesterone so I can't take the risk.

It's definitely worth a try!

elsie001

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:31:38 PM »

Hi Mary, the migraines kicked in about 8 months after getting the mirena fitted. 

I've had migraines in the past but always had the flashing light before-hand, followed by aura.  Don't get that now.  I get very sensitive to light so I know it's going to get even worse when driving in the dark over the coming months.  LED lights on cars are a particular nightmare!

The oestrogel lessens the pain a bit for a while, but they're still very debilitating.