Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Shrivelled ovaries  (Read 7069 times)

Annie0710

Shrivelled ovaries
« on: September 16, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »

I've just returned from my ultrasound the GP requested to rule out ovarian cancer (I didn't ask about this, I went because I needed ABs for my UTI )

The sonographer said she can't find my ovaries!!! She asked if I was sure they weren't removed, so I explained I had my hysterectomy in 1999 and within 6 months suffered ovarian failure and have been on hrt ever since, she said that would explain it, they'd shrivelled years ago and now not detectable on a scan

I had never heard of that but have googled and it's when the blood supply during hysterectomy is cut off from the ovaries too (accidently) or just that particular females anatomy is part of it

Maybe that explains why oestrogen alone isn't helping me ?

Annie x

Tempest

Re: Shrivelled ovaries
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »

Oh, Annie!!! For all intents and purposes, you're in the same boat as me hormonally aren't you? I cannot send you enough hugs!!!!!

No wonder you feel so awful. We must fight, both of us, to GET WHAT WE NEED!!!!

I never had HRT after my hysterectomy aged 36 and to be honest the last 10 years have been wasted years. Never felt the same afterwards, and was never offered any hormonal help. Mind you, it was the same flippin'surgeon who did my oopherectomy 10 years later, so why aren't I surprised? No HRT from him now, either!!

We must FIGHT! We shouldn't have to, but we must. Its the only way to claim back some of those wasted years feeling miserable.

If you ever want to chat by PM, to rant, talk about a 'battle plan' how we can get what we need, or just for a hug please just drop me a message. I'm here, and I'm with you 100%.

Much, much love. xxxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »

Aw Tempest bless you and thank you !!! 💕

I was 32 when I had my hyster and once the hrt was given some 6 months later I never looked back, I was back to feeling sexy, coping with life's struggles, energy to work full time and raise my family....... Until peri hit me like a ton of bricks!

Where do we go to shout about this ? Is this why I feel so dreadful and muster up bits of energy for a couple of hours each day ? Is this why my hair is diminishing ? Is this why my tummy is expanding on a daily basis ?
Does that mean the ovaries didn't produce testosterone all those years but only since peri it's hit me ? Are my adrenals working ?

I'm in limbo once again and not a damn thing I can do about it right now as I'm leaving for Spain early hours of Monday morning

Always here for you too Tempest

Annie xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »

If your ovaries are non-existent on a scan it probably means that they have been dissolved into the body or at the very least, will no longer have a functioning capacity.  'shrivelled' means exactly that!

Why didn't your GP give you ABs  :-\ - how have you managed with a urine infection?  Do make sure that a sample is sent to a Lab. for 'growth' so that the correct AB is prescribed, if there is no growth, no AB is required.

Maybe have a chat with a Pharmacist if your GP is good as useless??

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 04:57:50 PM »

My GP did prescribe ABs , she dipped my urine and it showed leukocytes and infection but she ordered the scan because she was worried I was suffering ovarian problems based on UTIs and bloating

How quick do they shrivel ? She seemed to assume they'd gone years ago

Annie x
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:05:19 PM by Annie0710 »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 05:46:46 PM »

That's how I understand it.  As oestrogen levels drop off so the ovaries shrivel ….. I imagine them as small prunes  ::).

I can't remember if you are treated for vaginal atrophy as this can mimic urine symptoms.  My bladder has den over-active all day  >:(

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 07:06:55 PM »

Yes GP officially diagnosed VA and put it on my notes

I'm on double dose Vagifem

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »

Thanks for the update, meno-brain here can't remember much from morning to lunch time  ::)  :-\

Does the Vagifem help?  If not maybe ask for Ovestin instead?

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »

I'm not sure if it's helping, I'm not sure of much lately, I've got a feeling I have rectocyle and cystocyle again so it's confusing me even more, I'm never sure if I need a bowel movement or not and if I do I'm not sure if I've finished, everything seems to have gone weird lately

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 08:44:05 PM »

How awful.