Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Why are my bleeds so light?  (Read 3270 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Why are my bleeds so light?
« on: September 17, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »

These last 3 years my periods have become much lighter, and only lasting 3 days. Even when I started using patches + Utro my withdrawal bleed was really light.

When I changed to 4 pumps I expected my bleeds to be heavier. But if anything they're even lighter now. I only have to use a panty liner for 3 days. It's really just spotting.

Everyone else seems to have to deal with much heavier periods than me, even when they're on much less oestrogen.

Prof Studd wasn't concerned and neither was the Meno GP I saw yesterday. Just told me it was 'good' that I wasn't having to deal with heavy bleeds.

But they didn't explain WHY? Does anyone know? I must still be producing my own progesterone because I was still getting my own (very light) period even when I didn't bother with Utro.

dangermouse

Re: Why are my bleeds so light?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »

Your progesterone sounds as if its doing what it should and stopping oestrogen from over-stimulating your womb lining. I'd see it as a good thing too! Perhaps your 4 pumps suppresses your own natural oestrogen so it never goes too high.

I suspect when women have heavy periods in perimenopause its due to the lowering of their natural progesterone along with normally high (for them), or surging, oestrogen levels. I never had heavy periods throughout my life and even now when my oestrogen is slightly higher I only have one day of heavy, clotting bleeding. I have friends who had heavy periods all their lives, often caused by fibroids from too low progesterone, which got much worse until post menopause.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »

Thanks Dangermouse.

I never thought about my own progesterone being strong enough to stop my womb lining building up too much?

I wonder if this is why I had such a severe reaction to the Utro this month because I synched taking it with when my own progesterone was at its highest to combine the withdrawal bleed with the start of my own period?

I've never reacted so severely to Utro before. But within 12 hours of starting it I felt really grim. Then 3 days after stopping it I felt even worse and my withdrawal bleed started.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »

Ooops, pressed reply too soon.

So maybe the double dose of my own progesterone + Utro was too much for me to stand?

There must be quite a bit of my own progesterone still, if it's keeping my womb lining nice and thin?

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »

Yes that could be why that happened and you may have had a withdrawal reaction after stopping it. Have you ever tried low dose continuous progesterone? Just thinking it may suppress your own if its progesterone dominance that's making you feel so bad.

I know from those who do progesterone only therapy they feel worse before they feel better, and the stopping and starting of the sequential doses cause them too much volatility.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 01:50:58 PM »

Last year I did take Federal (a BCP) continuously for neatly 3 months. But I had almost constant spotting and still up and down on mood (but nothing as bad as this week).

Then I swapped to Marvelon, as GP said I shouldn't spot on that. Felt great for the first 3 weeks on it, and intended to use it continuously. But at the end of the first pack we went away and I forgot to take anymore Marvelon with me. So ended up having a 4 day break.

Felt DREADFUL by the 4th day of the break, and was glad to re start when we got home. But even after a week into the next pack I was still feeling dreadful, so stopped taking it.

Looking back I think I suffered another severe reaction caused by progesterone withdrawal? Maybe if I had weathered it out for a few more days things might have calmed down again? I certainly felt good for the first 3 weeks I was on it.

puddlesmum

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 02:03:14 PM »

So maybe the double dose of my own progesterone + Utro was too much for me to stand?

That's what I asked the Professor yesterday which is why he told me not to take any more until December.  These bloomin things are a pain in the rear.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 03:10:05 PM »

My gynaecologist said that womb receptors are the reason some women have lighter bleeds.  Apparently, even if you start off having heavy periods while on HRT, they do subside and get lighter with time.  Mine have become lighter since reducing to 2 pumps of Oestrogel and taking DHEA tablets.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »

Puddle did you take Utro in the days just before your own period was due then?

Did Prof Studd say you were reacting to a double dose of progesterone?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »

That's interesting Mary. Since being a teen my periods have been probably medium to heavy ish. So I am still surprised that they're so light now. I keep hoping it means they'll soon be stopping altogether.

puddlesmum

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 03:59:57 PM »

According to my period tracker I was due on next week but because I took them for the first 7 days it bought me on a week early.  Well I did say that I think that's what has been happening and what did he think, he then replied with the "stop the progesterone for 2 months then contact me again" so I think he's going to do that purely to see if it happens again when my natural bleed occurs. On Estrogel I bleed about 8 weeks in for a good week normally.  I did wonder whether it was worth taking the Utro after having my own bleed anyway to be honest as I thought I might run into issues whereas my own bleed at the beginning of July I had no issues at all. No pain, no anxiety, nothing at all, just bled and got on with things.

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 10:59:13 AM »

Yes it is puzzling that they are light despite being on HRT. As you say you are still ovulating if you are having regular (but light) periods without any HRT. I doubt you that it is the production of more of your own progesterone that is preventing the heavy bleeds. Progesterone is only produced by the corpus luteum after ovulation and I haven't read anywhere that this increase during peri-menopause. Your own progesterone produced following ovulation would not keep the womb lining thin - it is likely that you are producing less oestrogen hence the womb lining just doesn't grow in the same way during the first half of your cycle.

As someone said in the thread maybe the high dose of oestrogen you are taking is suppressing your cycle and ovulation which is why you are still having light bleeds while on HRT. However if this were the case ( suppression of ovulation) - then you should not be getting the mood crashes - except those induced artificially by adding the progesterone (and reacting to its withdrawal) that you need to do in order to thin the lining.

My bleeds are much heavier - and I am only on approx 50 mcg patch ( a bit more) - with utrogestan every 6-8 weeks. Maybe mine would also be v light if I took utro on a monthly cycle?

Sorry I can't be of more help - our bodies are individually a mystery - even though there are certain physiological processes occurring - we can't know exactly what's happening in each of our bodies unfortunately - only go on what we feel by trying out different (tried and tested) methods!

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2016, 11:51:24 AM »

Thanks for replying Hurdity, you always explain things so clearly.

I agree that it might be I'm just not producing that much oestrogen (despite 4 pumps) my last oestrogen level was 655, which Prof Studd 'wasn't high'.

I'm not sure whether I do ovulate? This month I felt wired and jittery on days 12-13 of my cycle, and seemed to have more clear mucus than normal. So perhaps I did?

But it quickly went away, then I was fine for a week until I started Utro, then everything went very downhill within a few hours.

I am STILL feeling wretched and horribly anxious, and it's been 7 days since finishing Utro, and my bleed finished yesterday.

How much longer will the progesterone keep on poisoning me like this?

I intend to follow my GPs advice and just use Utro every 3 months. It will be interesting to see how I react to it in 3 month's time, and if in the meantime I react to when I get my own period.