Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rubbish appt re: Testosterone  (Read 2917 times)

Hurdity

Re: Rubbish appt re: Testosterone
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »

So sorry to hear about this Annie0710 - after all the time you have been waiting - and to get such inconsistent response as well. No offence to nurses but really I would ditch the nurse! Of course she can't prescribe testosterone and fancy saying that about Tibolone! It isn't like normal HRT - as you have read - so the progestogenic part of it, although is unnecessary for you (as you've had hysterectomy) won't actually do you any harm. Of course they could prescribe it! In fact probably better to use it with a hysterectomy because one of the side effects is endometrial thickening - one reason I wouldn't consider it for libido originally. That being said I wouldn't take it anyway.

You shouldn't really need to have testosterone tested anyway - this was only a bonus because someone in your practice offered to do it.

As you know the NICE Guidelines do make provision for you to be prescribed it (T) off licence for low libido as Dediva Ann just has been. Is there anyone in the practice you can go to who will be sympathetic? I must admit this is one part of HRT that if you can't get it on NHS then as Nina says you might have to go privately initially - as I did. My box lasted over a year (16 months) - I've only just finished it! A pea sized blob doesn't use up much but makes a huge difference! My objection is when NHS docs refuse to prescribe stuff that's licensed ie estradiol patches/gel and progesterone women consequently feeling they have to go to private docs. It will be a long time before T prescriptions become commonplace and who knows when a T product for women will be produced again.

You need to confront your GP with the NICE Guidelines if you can - or one in the practice that might be sympathetic. Then if none will consider it then see if you can change practice or ask to be referred to a meno clinic. Those whose meno clinics have refused in the past may well reconsider now that the NICE Guidelines are out? You really should not have to save up to pay for something that you may well need for your health.

Also do try to do some exercise - just a little bit each day - set yourself some goals - it really will make you feel better even without testosterone. Trying that though should make a world of difference if you can manage to get hold of some. I presume you've had thyroid etc tested too?

Hurdity x

Tempest

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 07:57:10 PM »

Oh, Annie!!! This is so awful for you, truly!! I know you were pinning your hopes that they would help you.

WHY do we have to fight and beg to receive decent treatment??? I am telling you, if you don't have anxiety and depression already with what Menopause throws at us, then you surely will have after having to be belittled and dismissed like we are.

No wonder lots of us are getting so desperate that we're being forced to use the private sector!!

You CAN always phone the 'Certain Consultant's' secretary who I know is very sympathetic and ask if there is a way you can secure a telephone consultation. I know he will consider this in some cases if you are unable to attend in person. I also found that a private prescription cost for 36 sachets of Testim is only £42 (with pharmacy discount) where I am, which would last a considerable amount of time as you would only be using 1/8th of a sachet daily (as per 'a certain Consultant's' regime).

I am sending you biggest, biggest hugs. xxxxxxx
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:00:43 PM by Tempest »

Annie0710

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »

So sorry to hear about this Annie0710 - after all the time you have been waiting - and to get such inconsistent response as well. No offence to nurses but really I would ditch the nurse! Of course she can't prescribe testosterone and fancy saying that about Tibolone! It isn't like normal HRT - as you have read - so the progestogenic part of it, although is unnecessary for you (as you've had hysterectomy) won't actually do you any harm. Of course they could prescribe it! In fact probably better to use it with a hysterectomy because one of the side effects is endometrial thickening - one reason I wouldn't consider it for libido originally. That being said I wouldn't take it anyway.

You shouldn't really need to have testosterone tested anyway - this was only a bonus because someone in your practice offered to do it.

As you know the NICE Guidelines do make provision for you to be prescribed it (T) off licence for low libido as Dediva Ann just has been. Is there anyone in the practice you can go to who will be sympathetic? I must admit this is one part of HRT that if you can't get it on NHS then as Nina says you might have to go privately initially - as I did. My box lasted over a year (16 months) - I've only just finished it! A pea sized blob doesn't use up much but makes a huge difference! My objection is when NHS docs refuse to prescribe stuff that's licensed ie estradiol patches/gel and progesterone women consequently feeling they have to go to private docs. It will be a long time before T prescriptions become commonplace and who knows when a T product for women will be produced again.

You need to confront your GP with the NICE Guidelines if you can - or one in the practice that might be sympathetic. Then if none will consider it then see if you can change practice or ask to be referred to a meno clinic. Those whose meno clinics have refused in the past may well reconsider now that the NICE Guidelines are out? You really should not have to save up to pay for something that you may well need for your health.

Also do try to do some exercise - just a little bit each day - set yourself some goals - it really will make you feel better even without testosterone. Trying that though should make a world of difference if you can manage to get hold of some. I presume you've had thyroid etc tested too?

Hurdity x

Thankyou Hurdity, you always take the time to really explain things in depth, don't think it ever goes unnoticed :-)

I go on holiday on Monday but I did see a nice female GP a couple of weeks ago who reinstated my Vagifem and wanted bloods to rule out sinister things plus referred me for a scan

Everything else has been ruled out, thyroid etc so am only left with these symptoms are caused by hormones (or lack of)

We get away camping a lot and walk lots , well we have this year as I found by chance some sandals that I can walk in (even flat shoes after a certain distance leave me with horrible blisters) this leaves me quite  weak and very fatigued and next day and I seem to be seized up and even more immobile

I've not heard of a meno clinic here locally (or reasonably local), one GP referred me to a gynae who just said there's nothing more hrt wise he can do for me, I was only in there minutes, it seemed I'd only got the appt as courtesy not because someone  wants to help

I've been an optimist through this but my hopes are being dashed time and time again and I'm losing hope with the NHS helping me

Hurdity why would you not take Tibolone even if it didn't cause thickening ? I need to put an argument to them when I get chance after my holiday

Annie x

Annie0710

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 08:43:11 PM »

Oh, Annie!!! This is so awful for you, truly!! I know you were pinning your hopes that they would help you.

WHY do we have to fight and beg to receive decent treatment??? I am telling you, if you don't have anxiety and depression already with what Menopause throws at us, then you surely will have after having to be belittled and dismissed like we are.

No wonder lots of us are getting so desperate that we're being forced to use the private sector!!

You CAN always phone the 'Certain Consultant's' secretary who I know is very sympathetic and ask if there is a way you can secure a telephone consultation. I know he will consider this in some cases if you are unable to attend in person. I also found that a private prescription cost for 36 sachets of Testim is only £42 (with pharmacy discount) where I am, which would last a considerable amount of time as you would only be using 1/8th of a sachet daily (as per 'a certain Consultant's' regime).

I am sending you biggest, biggest hugs. xxxxxxx

Aw Tempest bless you! Thankyou for replying

Does anyone have any idea how much a private telephone consult costs ?

I agreed to for to still test me today as I thought worse case scenario I still have a test result should I need to go elsewhere

I've been so tearful today, I'm trying to keep strong to keep my fight going but it's draining me

Hope you're keeping well (well as well as can be expected)

Big hugs
Annie xx
Pages: 1 [2]