Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: I want to come off my Hrt  (Read 2342 times)

Soosoo

I want to come off my Hrt
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »

Hi there, I want to stop taking my hrt but not sure what to do. I am currently on Evorel Conti, 2 patches a week. Should I just stop using them or ween myself off them gradually? and if so how do you ween yourself off patches? Any advise much appreciated  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: I want to come off my Hrt
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:19:55 PM »

Why do you want to stop?  How long have you been using the patches?  You should go back to your prescribing practitioner.

Soosoo

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 09:37:24 PM »

Have been taking it for about a year now and I still have restless nights and some sweats not as bad as they were but I still do get them, also I have gained a stone in weight which I find really depressing as I excersise regularly and have a reasonably healthy diet, the weight is all in my tummy and I just feel bloated all the time! Also I keep having bleeds and period pains! I started the menopause really early 39 years old I'm 54 now and decided a couple of years ago that I neede help as my symptoms were getting worse. I had tried another 2 before this one the first was Elleste duo which caused me a great deal of anxiety so was no good then I had another one that I quite liked and I can't remember the name of it now but it was no longer being manufactured so that's how I ended up with this one. The bleeding really puzzled me and the nurse as I haven't had a period since I was 40. My mum passed away early this year :'( and so we thought it could be trauma and also because she died so suddenly from ovarian cancer I was given blood test, scans and had a biopsy all of which are ok. I just feel really depressed and anxious and think that I managed without it for all those years and that I must be through it by now and if I stop taking it gradually I may not have any more symptoms  :'(

Dana

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:46:36 PM »

If you really want to come off HRT that is totally your choice of course. Maybe what you could do is cut your patch in half for a few weeks and see how that feels before you stop it altogether.

However, before you make that decision I think there are a couple of things you might want to consider. You are taking a continuous HRT which contains norethisterone as the progestin component, and a lot of women don't get on very well with that progestin, especially if they are getting a small dose everyday as you are. So it could be responsible for how you're feeling rather than the estrogen side of things.

What you could do is switch to a cycle by using an estrogen patch (Estradot is a good one) and take a separate progestogen for 10-12 days and that will give you are predictable period. You could either do this as a monthly routine or a lot of post-meno ladies opt for a 2 monthly cycle. You could choose to use either Utrogestan, or a progestin that seems to be more tolerable is Provera (medroxyprogesterone). If either of these progestogens prove to suit you, then maybe you could consider going back to a continuous method so you don't have to have a period.

The other thing you might need to consider is that maybe the estrogen dose you are on isn't high enough. Maybe try increasing the dose a little to see if that helps.

The weight issue is really annoying, but I personally think we tend to blame menopause and HRT for the fact that it's really us that needs to make some changes. I've proved that by recently losing 20 pounds, simply by joining Weight Watchers. Previously I'd blamed everything for my weight gain, except myself, but the fact that I've been able to lose so much, by simply being more aware of what I was eating and portion size, proves that menopause and HRT really weren't responsible for me gaining weight.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 01:01:52 PM »

First of all: have a hug!  I got to MM via the ovarian cancer Charity "Ovacome" - you may like to have a look-see at their web-site for support.  Was your Mum diagnosed at all?

:bighug:

Have you spoken to your local 'cruse' group, set up by bereaved to support bereaved people.  Give them a ring to see what support there is in your area.

I wouldn't do anything in a hurry and Dana has given good advice.  You may find a course of anti-depressant medication will help - anxiety can be helped by talking therapy or medication, even a short course of 'valium' to see if it eases symptoms may be worth while. 

Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary helpful to take to the GP/Practice Nurse.

Soosoo

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 09:50:07 PM »

Hi Dana, thank you so much for your advise it sounds very interesting and also congratulations on you 20lb weight loss  :clapping: igenerally follow slimming world and have lost 3 stone over a number of years but just seem to be struggling with it this last year which is why I'm thinking the hrt maybe a factor as I excersise 4/5 times a week! I think I am going to make an appointment with my gp/practice nurse and discuss the options you have mentioned  :) many thanks

Hi CLKD, thank you for the hug  :) my mum was diagnosed with ovarian cancer a week before she died we didn't even get to see the gynaecologist to discuss her treatment  :'(it was so sudden and shocking!
I have an appointment with bereavement services later this month but it's just an assessment for councilling and I've had to wait quite a while and there could also be another waiting list for the actual councilling. i will also check out the web-site you have mentioned. Think I am a bit scared to take anti depressants as I feel like it will supress my feelings and it'll be worse in the long run! So I won't just stop the hrt I will talk to my gp/practise nurse first. Thank you so much for your support  :bighug:

da66

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 07:27:27 AM »

I have taken anti-depressants in the past soo-soo and they didn't suppress my feelings at all - they just made me feel more like my normal self - take care

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:04:20 PM »

ADs gave me my Life back.  But maybe get some talking opportunities started, do give Cruse a ring.  MIND have walk-in Centres too in some areas, I sent an e-mail to ours and they were really helpful.