Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Water retention  (Read 2491 times)

Annie0710

Water retention
« on: September 08, 2016, 11:32:42 PM »

Has anyone else suffered this ?

I got prescribed some tablets and started taking them and didn't think they were that great as in I'm not rushing to the loo to pee all morning like I was a few years ago when I had a spate of this, but I was up and out really early today and didn't take one and I'm really noticing the puffy ankle (it's always the left ankle) and tight feeling in my leg tonight

Annie x

Tempest

Re: Water retention
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »

Oh, Annie! Hugs!!!

So the GP has prescribed you a diuretic? You didn't take one this morning? Is the leg swollen or red at all? (Sorry - bombardment of questions there)!

If you get concerned, is there a walk in Minor Injuries clinic over the weekend where you are? We don't  have such beasts here, so I'm not sure how available they are in England but I've heard about them. They may be able to give it a look over, unless of course you'd prefer to phone NHS24 for advice.

How are you feeling now?

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:55:10 PM »

Oh bless you Tempest it's nothing sinister I'm convinced it's just plain water retention

You're right I didn't take one yesterday and got bad oedema BUT I took one this morning and have got swelling again today so maybe they're not strong enough , I've just requested a repeat too :-(

Our local hospital has the service where you call I think 111 (I get confused with what's the latest thing to do) and they call you back and tell you whether you should go to the out of hours doc or not

Annie x

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »

Is it Furosemide you're taking, Annie? I had some experience of that particular diuretic after my spinal surgery, but it's now on my 'banned list' as it causes histamine release in me by my Anaphylaxis Consultant (but I'm weird anyway)! :o

Yes, it's 111 now isn't it? I know ours is chaos up here in Scotland especially at the weekends! A call back usually takes a wait of about 4 hours on average and then you either get directed to our Out Of Hours GP Service which is attached to A & E, or A& E itself. By the time you're seen, it's hours since you reported the symptoms! As a result, folk just pitch up at A & E in any case, and it's crazy there! Our local hospital A & E has been under 'special measures' on several occasions lately as it's reached crisis point.

Anyway, I digress! Are you able to rest a wee bit with your legs elevated, and does this help? I know up here we've also had unusually high humidity the last few days, and that generally makes everyone a bit more puffy (unless you're a teenager, of course)! I have a wee barometer, and it's actually the first time this year that humidity has been over 80, despite the temperature cooling. Not sure if it's crept down to England, though! ;)

Anyway, take very good care and I'm sending an extra hug your way. xxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »

No Tempest Flusoromide was what I had a few years back , I think these new ones are not as strong, I'm lucky that I get chance to rest and always elevate but it doesn't help (but feels good)

Our A&E won't accept people that can be helped by out of hours doc, I took my youngest a couple of years ago with left sided tummy pain, they wouldn't see him and directed us to the out of hours dept

Annie x

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 10:46:08 PM »

Water retention tablets will only work if it's safe to excrete the water. You probably have it as a protection mechanism to dilute your fluids to counter an imbalance. Could be too high oestrogen levels for example.

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 01:42:50 AM »

Water retention tablets will only work if it's safe to excrete the water. You probably have it as a protection mechanism to dilute your fluids to counter an imbalance. Could be too high oestrogen levels for example.

Hmmmm this all started after I reduced my oestrogen DM, I'm back on 75's estradot now but switched to putting patch on bum cheek instead of thigh even more recently

I was looking up another strange symptom earlier and it seems that I may be experiencing rectocyle and cystocyle again (total prolapse was why I had a hysterectomy but I didn't opt for the repair) so I'm wondering if the water retention is anything to do with that or maybe I'm clutching at straws

Annie x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 04:49:53 PM »

Hysterectomy often leads to further prolapses Annie. It's important to do your pelvic floor exercises every day to prevent them - especially the dreaded vaginal vault prolapse. I don't think that this would lead to fluid retention though. Can't see a physical reason for this  :-\

Taz x

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 05:35:34 PM »

Thanks Taz, maybe I shouldn't overthink things and clump everything to one cause

I'm actually gutted at the thought of the prolapses but I have the symptoms, things must've deteriorated in recent weeks as its the feeling of sitting on something that got me googling but reading the symptoms I've had those for at least a year now

Annie x