Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New member and questions about Mirena  (Read 2577 times)

clareH

New member and questions about Mirena
« on: September 10, 2016, 10:14:02 AM »

Hi Everyone
I found this forum last week when I was flat-out exhausted and confused about which bits of how I've been feeling are menopause related. It was so good to read other peoples experiences - my itchy feet, lack of energy, copious sweating, aching bones and lack of motivation are all due to the menopause - hurray.  :(

I've got some more questions though, and would be very pleased to hear others experiences. I had my most recent Mirena put in in Jan 2012, at the age of 48 and they said at the time that it would probably see me through the menopause. So its now been in for nearly 5 years and I have to think about getting it taken out. As I don't get any bleeding, I have no idea really what's going on with my cycle, so I don't know where I am with the menopause - though I am definitely in it. So, if I was to get it taken out, it wouldn't seem worth getting another one put in, because I don't suppose I'd need it for contraception for another 5 years but if I am still having periods I would need some kind of contraception in the short term. I'm thinking that it might be good to have it taken out and to re-acquaint myself with what might be left of my cycle, but perhaps I'm in for a shock, and would start getting heavy bleeds?

Has anyone else had a Mirena taken out at this stage? What were the consequences, and what did you do for contraception? Would I be better having another one and getting the benefits of some progesterone for another 5 years?
Any thoughts appreciated!
Clare

Tinkerbell

Re: New member and questions about Mirena
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 12:14:48 PM »

The advantage of having another one put in is that if you want to try HRT at some point you can have an estrogen patch or gel and your mirena will provide the progesterone requirements.
If you want to know where your are re periods I guess condoms would be the best form of contraception.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 02:34:19 PM »

Does the Mirena suit you?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  You should not need contraception after 50-ish but I remember being told not to stop until 2 years after the last period.  I think that Tinkerbell's suggestion of patches might be worth discussing with your GP?

Have a browse.  Make notes!

clareH

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 04:03:06 PM »

The Mirena suits me fine once its in, but I have found getting them put in extremely stressful and painful - hence hoping to avoid having another one!
I'm not thinking about HRT at the moment, even though the menopause symptoms are getting me down, its not bad enough (yet?) to go for
 HRT - but perhaps I'm getting more benefit from the Mirena than I imagine?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 04:07:08 PM »

Hi clareH. It may be wise to give yourself a few months just to see where you are period-wise. As Tinkerbell says if you decide to have another one fitted then you will only need a patch or gel to provide the oestrogen part of HRT as the progesterone part will already have been sorted. The oestrogen should relieve your hot sweats and also could make a difference to fatigue and aching bones too. Vaginal dryness is also something which is helped by oestrogen - you don't need full HRT for this as there are topical preparations available for use purely in the vagina.

As for contraception - you do need to use it for at least a year after your last period.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »

Hi clareH

:welcomemm:

If it were me, in your position I would get another one fitted as your body is used to it unless as Taz says you want to know where you are in menopause - but is this really necessary?

The Mirena won't be helping your menopause symptoms ( as far as I know) due to oestrogen deficiency - if the latter is already happening, and you are getting flushes and sweats. If the symptoms are getting you down then as Taz and Tinkerbell say, you can add in oestrogen at any point starting at a very low dose ( eg a 25 mcg patch) and see if this improves your symptoms. I don't think you have anything to lose. OK a bit of stress while it is fitted (take ibuprofen and paracetamol beforehand?) but that's soon done and finished with, and then you have 4 years where you don't have to think about contraception or the progestogen part of HRT. :)

Hurdity x

Ms Saucy

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 12:10:11 PM »

Hi there.
I have a second mirena fitted. Ask for local anaesthetic to your cervix as it will help with insertion .
Ms Saucy xxx

clareH

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 09:58:28 PM »

Hi Ms Saucy, I've not heard about an anaesthetic -isn't it also really painful having a cervical injection? I dosed up with co-codamol last time I had a Mirena fitted and still nearly passed out. I've not had a good history with IUD's - had one fitted at 18 that caused lots of problems, then when the GP tried to fit one after my first child she said my cervix just closed up and wouldn't let it in!

But the other comments about just 'topping up' a Mirena with a small amount of oestrogen do sound like a potential way of easing through this period. If I could get through the insertion that could be the way to go for another few years...
thank you, food for thought!