Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Coming off HRT  (Read 2752 times)

Michelle46

Coming off HRT
« on: September 04, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »

Hi ladies
I thought I'd come on here and hopefully get some good advice.
I'm thinking of coming off HRT. I use the gel and utrogestan. If I come off and things are really bad and I decide to go back on will it take weeks to get into my system again? I'm just wondering what my periods are doing. Before I went on HRT 5 months ago my periods were only about 2 days long and quite light. Also not dead on time. Any advice welcome. Thamky in advance x

Dancinggirl

Re: Coming off HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 04:56:19 PM »

It's worth taking a break from HRT from time to time - you can then tell where you are in the meno journey and also to see how the meno symptoms are!!? I'd have a break of 2-3 months so you can really decide whether you want to go back on HRT or not.  When I come off HRT it usually takes about 2-4 weeks for any meno symptoms to return.  When I go back on HRT it takes between 1-3 weeks for the benefits to kick in fully.  We are all different so our reactions will differ.  Let us know how you get on.  DG x

Michelle46

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 06:54:26 PM »

Thanks Dancing girl
How many times have you come off HRT? That will be the one way I know where I am I supposed xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »

I started on HRT at the age of 37  - I was peri from the age of 35. I was reassessed at 40, so came off HRT for 4 weeks and then had blood tests that confirmed I was deeper into peri.  I then took myself off HRT aged 49 after the scares in 2002 and struggled without HRT for 3 years (life was stressful at the time) before giving in and starting again.  At 57 I then took another break for one year and then saw a private gynae on the suggestion of my GP.  I tried Oestrogel with Utrogestan in various regimes but had problematic bleeds and cramps and other side effects that have made me feel it really is time to stop systemic HRT.  I've been off HRT over 2 months now and though I am getting flushes etc I'm coping reasonably well as my life is less stressful these days and I work part time. I do have VA and bladder problems that require local oestrogen (so I use Vagifem 2-3 times a week), however I wouldn't rule out going back on full HRT if I start to feel really tired and unable to work. 
You don't need to take a break from HRT - if you are feeling good then don't stop.  You don't need to know where you are in you meno journey unless you are wanting to try a continuous HRT. 
It's not an all or nothing choice.  Dg x

andius

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:38:23 PM »

The last time I came off hrt several years ago and just used vagifem, I lasted from October until March (really thought I was going to make it) before the vagifem wasn't working well enough even at 3 x wk. Never really got hot flashes back, but the insomnia and VA was a "killer" that told me I needed to go back on. Now I manage just with hrt and no vagifem....have a few (2-3) iffy days per month with slight stinging but that is all. Never really liked using the vagifem so I go without.

peegeetip

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »

5 months? Your hardly got into the swing of things.

Most of us take 3 to 6 months to get into the HRT.

Given that your able to get the "gold" standard HRT, I would count yourself lucky ;)

A lot of ladies really struggle to get even the cheaper HRT options.

Bare in mind, after 5 months nothing much will have changed and the symptoms that caused you to start may come back with vengeance  ???

Up to you either way, but I'd let things settle for a lot longer, so your body does not end up confused  :o

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 09:48:53 AM »

I think you're very early on HRT, and probably should think about this in another 7 - 13 months to be honest.

If or when you do, I would cut down gradually and then stop. Stopping straight away can be a bit of a shock to your body, and meno. symptoms may return more severely before they settle down again. To give yourself the best chance of success, doing things gently is much kinder. xxxx

Maryjane

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »

9 months into sandrena / vagifem / utrogestin and I am now starting to see the improvements Dr Annie Evans said for some it takes upto a year for it to work , and for many it's not a case of I suddenly feel great , you look back at three months ago and can see improvement it can be that slow.

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 10:05:13 AM »

your never to young to start ;) if the symptoms are there then your receptors are crying out for estrogen.

if we all stuck to our contraceptive pill longer, then moved to HRT then we'd reduce the amount of problems a lot of us face.

Waiting till later seems to be gaining favour as the wrong way to approach HRT.

8)

Michelle46

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »

Thankyou everyone. I'm going to give it more time. I've accepted what is happening to me is nature and I'm not really ill. I personally think this is the way for me to think and do what I can and when I can  :great: :great:

Ljp

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »

Re coming off HRT gradually, how can you do that if, like me, you have a mirena coil, can't see there any way other than cold Turkey