Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Low mood, feel flat, why?  (Read 8215 times)

Ljp

Low mood, feel flat, why?
« on: September 06, 2016, 11:51:50 AM »

This past week I'm feeling really flat, low mood and like I've got a dark cloud over me.
I've been on mirena and oestrogel since December, and was also using estring, to help with slight soreness after intimacy, but more importantly to try and help my overactive bladder which has become unbearable since menopause.
The bladder issue improved only slightly, so the past month I've been on vesicare, which has really helped, and I removed the estring, as didn't think it was necessary, and prefer to use minimal amount of oestrigen to control symptoms.
Could it be that removing the estring has lowered the oestrigen levels and is now having an effect on my mood? The only other thing I have noticed is very slight flushes, not full heat waves, more a feeling of a heat surge. Could the estring really have been helping that much?
I'm not liking feeling like this 😟
I use two pumps of oestrogel.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Low mood, feel flat, why?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:21:57 PM »

Oh, have a  :bighug:  HORMONES  >:(

Are you getting enough sunshine?

da66

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »

Not sure if estring withdrawal likely to have affected your mood but when I first had an estring for VA trouble a few years ago the GP told me it was minuscule amounts and would only act locally - instantly after the estring went in though my hot flushes stopped (they were fairly mild at that point and had only just started) so i knew the estring had had a systemic effect. I suppose some of us are much more sensitive to hormones than others.

Ljp

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »

Thank you.
Yes I'm getting enough sunshine CLKD, I'm off on holiday next week for 10 days, but can't even muster up enthusiasm for it

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:56:16 PM »

How's your thyroid function?

I suggest that you pack little and often each day.  I had to do that years ago in case I went into panic mode closer to the holiday  :sigh: : lay it out 1 day, pack the next ……..

Ljp

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 02:01:46 PM »

Thyroid is ok as far as I know, had full blood tests done last year and all ok. But how else would I know?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »

Estring won't add oestrogen systemically.  The very humid weather we have had this summer has been awful and will make us sweat more  - with HRT or not. We can't expect HRT to solve everything and maybe you need just a slight increase of the oestrogen to control the flushes - oestrogen is not the bad boy.  You probably need that holiday - low mood from time to time is normal.  DG x

Ljp

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 02:31:52 PM »

Thanks DG, just seems strange that it's happened after a monthwithout estring, and that's the only change I can think of. It's not sweating like when I had flushes, it's more like a heat surge, happening on waking, like I used to get prior to HRT, only not as intense

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:11:43 PM »

Cortisol?

Ljp

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »

What?

saffy123

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 06:17:23 AM »

Thanks DG, just seems strange that it's happened after a monthwithout estring, and that's the only change I can think of. It's not sweating like when I had flushes, it's more like a heat surge, happening on waking, like I used to get prior to HRT, only not as intense

Hi Ljp, I have found the Estring definitely has some systemic effect. I think more gets into the system then what is reported. I think the vaginal route has better absorption, it would explain why people need less progesterone when given vaginal...just my thoughts xx

Ljp

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 09:07:30 AM »

I do question that too Saffy, I think it dies gave an effect. My question now is whether to up my oestrogen to over 2 pumps, or whether to go back to using the earring? Any thoughts? Which is safer?

saffy123

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 09:37:19 AM »

I do question that too Saffy, I think it dies gave an effect. My question now is whether to up my oestrogen to over 2 pumps, or whether to go back to using the earring? Any thoughts? Which is safer?

Hi Ljp, my bladder problems are by far my worse symptom, so I would have to stick with the Estring...at least it has a direct effect on the bladder area. I'm hoping giving time it will help with my problems. I have varied the dose of estrogel up to 3.5 pumps and for me it was not effective at reducing bladder problems at all....probably just me thou  :-\  xx

Ljp

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 01:52:54 PM »

Hi Saffy, I can't say the local oestrogen did much to help my bladder, I am now on vesicare to try for my over active bladder, and having been on it for almost 4 weeks it's SO much better!

But as I said in previous post, I thought as bladder is now controlled with vesicare, that I would remove estring, as apart from closed cervix ( gynae mentioned when trying to do hysteroscopy, and said she wouldn't expect it in a woman if my age 51)… and occasional soreness during intimacy, I felt OK in that area.
BUT it seems now, having gone 4 weeks without the estring, that I'm having a real slump in mood, anxiety and overthinking are taking hold too, and heat surges, not full flushes, but that sudden feeling of heat, particularly on waking, which is making me wonder whether I was in fact absorbing some oestrigen from the estring systemically, and whether I need to either use an estring again, or need to up from 2 pumps to either 2.5 or 3 of oestrogel, although that somehow scares me!

Aaaaargh, what to do ??? Bloody menopause 😢

saffy123

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 07:23:37 PM »

Hi Saffy, I can't say the local oestrogen did much to help my bladder, I am now on vesicare to try for my over active bladder, and having been on it for almost 4 weeks it's SO much better!

But as I said in previous post, I thought as bladder is now controlled with vesicare, that I would remove estring, as apart from closed cervix ( gynae mentioned when trying to do hysteroscopy, and said she wouldn't expect it in a woman if my age 51)… and occasional soreness during intimacy, I felt OK in that area.
BUT it seems now, having gone 4 weeks without the estring, that I'm having a real slump in mood, anxiety and overthinking are taking hold too, and heat surges, not full flushes, but that sudden feeling of heat, particularly on waking, which is making me wonder whether I was in fact absorbing some oestrigen from the estring systemically, and whether I need to either use an estring again, or need to up from 2 pumps to either 2.5 or 3 of oestrogel, although that somehow scares me!

Aaaaargh, what to do ??? Bloody menopause 😢

Hi Ljp, It's so difficult to know what to do for the best. I think may be you should just up the estrogel a little and see what happens, tell your self its just a 'trial', nothing set in stone you can always reduce again. If you find it helps then at least it will save you having to go and get another prescription for Estring.

I have been told that I definitely have VA, so local estrogen is a must for me, hence I will persevere with Estring. I was told by a urologist that I haven't got an overactive bladder...however sometimes I do wonder if I have both  :-\

I am only 42 and I can't believe I'm having to battle with all these problems. Some of my friends are still pondering more kids and there's me not even able to have sex as it's too painful.... :( xx
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:45:17 PM by saffy123 »
Pages: [1] 2