Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Anxiety: say if you have it, despite taking HRT or anti-anxiety medications.  (Read 31045 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety: say if you have it, despite taking HRT or anti-anxiety medications.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2016, 12:21:02 PM »

I had CBT which made no difference at all as my problems started probably when I was a few hours old  :'(

So any anxiety was deep seated almost immediately.

Small place, the Universe now that we have internet ;-)

CLKD

Re: Anxiety: say if you have it, despite taking HRT or anti-anxiety medications.
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »

Anxiety can be a learnt response to what is happening around us.  When those stressors have gone from our lives the responses remain  :sigh:

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 01:00:19 PM »

There are 2 types of depression: clinical which is when a person becomes depressed because they are unable to or cannot see a way out of problems.  The other is organic, when brain chemistry is out of kilter - I have both  :sigh: fortunately ADs do help.

I no longer recognise excitement, it's always dangerous adrenaline = anxiety.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »

See my thread about depression …….

DownDillie

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »

I think its important to recognise the cause of the anxiety in order to try to treat it. You tend to have the initial cause (physical or emotional), the main symptoms (adrenal rushes, palpitations, sweating, etc.) and, in some cases, a secondary set of different or worsening physical symptoms caused by meta emotions (e.g. anxiety about the anxiety).

Dangermouse - thank you, easily the most useful info on anxiety / menopause that I have read.

To answer the OP, I also suffer from anxiety / low moods since reaching post-menopause. HRT is helping but I am not there yet, in that I still have an almost constant anxious feeling in my chest. I occasionally have a terrible day and then everything settles down for a while but the feeling never entirely goes away.

It can be tricky getting to the cause because things are complicated. I am post-menopausal and am therefore missing out on oestrogen. Replacing it helps, but I am not sure if I am taking too much or too little. Likewise with the progesterone. (For the record, my GP has no idea either, it will just have to be trial and error.)

There are also outside issues that can make me down and anxious - these have been around for a long time so I don't think they are the primary cause but they can kick off an anxious/depressive day if my hormones are out of kilter.

It's tricky. I think that comparatively speaking I am not too bad. I function OK, I work fulltime, I am sleeping OK, it could be a lot worse. I have done a Mindfulness course which helps if I remember to do it, need to work more on that. I find that the mindfulness helps to prevent the anxiety-about-the-anxiety that Dangermouse mentions. Also need to work more on other self-help measures to generally improve my health and wellbeing.

I am hoping that the horrible anxious-heart-feeling will subside over the next couple of months. If not, I will start to tweak my HRT dose to see if I can make things better. I do feel for others who have it a lot worse than me, because it's horrible.  :(

Ms Saucy

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »

Hi there.
I have been taking Citralopam for three years now since a terrible time with my now ex second husband....I left him yippee. Taking 40mgs daily and as you know you until a week ago I took Oestrogen 2mg... morning anxiety can be due to low blood sugars so snack before bed. Try asking the Gp to add a beta blocker like Propananol to see if that helps too xxx

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »

I bumped it !

breeze

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2016, 09:09:28 PM »

Please don't laugh at this but I have just discovered something that helps.

My husband downloaded a TV programme for me (BBC) called 'All aboard'.  It's a two hour bus journey through the Yorkshire Dales.

Go on laugh if you want too. ;D

The point is that watching it really calmed me, to an extent I have never experienced before.

The download expires at the end of the month so I have just bought it from the BBC Store, along with a canal journey one. 

I have no idea why it works but if it stops me taking a pill I'm chuffed. 

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 09:10:58 PM »

Apparently it's had fave reviews!  What ever works  ;)

Meg

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2016, 01:02:25 AM »

Anxiety is a scourge of menopause.  I wish the solution could be found as it is the pits.  I personally feel I had a life before meno symptoms hit, felt like a different person.  Wham, when my periods finished, that is when my previous good health buckled.  I had no idea that life would change so much at fifty and I am now 62.  Coping with it all is a major challenge, I am not the same person.  It can bring you to your knees!

Meg

kew

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 05:09:32 AM »

I started with increased Meno symptoms at the end of last year. Previously I'd managed and it never seemed too bad. Started hrt in February and felt like a new women and felt that it was a miracle to feel so good again. Then had to have a health tests which seemed to drag out and got me very anxious along with starting a new job. I thought once everything was finished I'll be back to how I was. Unfortunately the anxiety just got worse to the point that everyday became a challenge just to keep it all together and not have a meltdown and never leave the house.

Went on Sertraline 50gm about 3 months ago, had a week of nausea but then everyday seemed better. I enjoy the calmness I have now.  However I feel like my Meno symptoms are returning.  Lots of sweating, very poor sleep and what feels like constant fatigue and very low energy.  Had another look at the Sertraline side effects and these are all listed. I do hope that once I stop taking Sertraline that all these will disappear but at the same time I'm scared that the anxiety may return. The doctor has said that I need to stay on the Sertraline for a minimum of 6months but I'm tempted to start reducing down to 25gm. I do wonder if I will ever be the same again

kpatton56

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 06:47:52 AM »

Great post Dangermouse! Thank you 😀

breeze

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 07:48:59 AM »

Hi Menomale,

It literally is a film of the scenery and people viewed from this particular bus, filmed in real time.  It is just so relaxing, and the views so peaceful. Are you sure you cannot purchase it from BBC Store, it's not the same as iplayer, which I know is UK only.

I think it works for me because it's a bit like meditating. When my mind starts to wander back to my problems, I rewind to the point my concentration went.  Sometimes just 10-15 minutes viewing is enough, sometimes as much as an hour.

Just so glad my husband found this for me.

linz57

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 08:11:41 AM »

I saw that programme breeze and I have to say it calmed me too. In fact I went to bed more relaxed than I have for ages. I think the lack of commentary helped, just listening to the natural countryside sounds was a real tonic

walking the dog

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »

I dont understand why it comes and goes with me , its always there but then I'm overwhelmed with it, yesterday I was fine but today I'm crying over nothing my stomachs upset I'm shattered and dizzy , my logical mind says anxiety but I also wonder if its my hormones or both ?!
Some days I cope others I dont and I find that frightening as I never know how I will feel !
Anyone else like this ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7