Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Anxiety: say if you have it, despite taking HRT or anti-anxiety medications.  (Read 31042 times)

Mardy

Re: Anxiety: say if you have it, despite taking HRT or anti-anxiety medications.
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2016, 02:36:01 PM »

Yes, but it's three years since I had a period at least. I wasn't really bothered with sweats/flushes until now............

Mardy

Re: Anxiety: say if you have it, despite taking HRT or anti-anxiety medications.
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2016, 02:57:52 PM »

thanks

kew

I've been on Sertraline 50gsm for about 5 months and have found it to work very well after I got past the side effects - definitely made me very calm which was very welcome.  You do need to give it time.  The doc said that I needed to be on it for at least 6 months, though now I'm finding that it makes me very tired and felt that it was working contrary to my HRT, hot flushes started again and sometimes quite foggy headed.  Initially I thought the hrt was not working as well, but on reading the leaflet saw that these were listed as side effects of Sertraline.  I'm in the process of reducing the dose and am down to taking half a tablet for 5 days a week and have been feeling much more clear headed and flushes have lessened - though if I know I'm going to have a bad day I do go back up to a full tablet.  It is worth sticking with it.

Babsm67

That's interesting, Kew - do you mind me asking; did you have increased anxiety when you first started Setraline and if so, how long did it !ast?  I saw my gp !ast night as my anxiety has been hideous, especially first thing in the morning & she advised me to take a course of diazapam short term as I had given up taking anti-depressants due to the initial increased anxiety and worsened insomnia.  However,  I am worried about becoming addicted to the diazapam.  I used to take Escitilopram 5mg which worked well for me until peri kicked in & I developed sleep problems.  For the last year of taking Escitilopram, I had to take sleeping pills as I could not sleep without them.  Eventually, I became intolerant to the Escitilopram (got bumps, itchy skin & really sore, itchy eyes) so had to stop taking them.  I have struggled ever since & don't feel I will get through the autumn & winter without something long-term as my mood always drops at this time of year (as it is doing now!). X

kew

Madbloss, I didn't have any increased anxiety, actually felt calm within a couple days but very nauseous for about a week. Each week got better. I did have trouble with sleeping and switched when I took my tablets from evening to morning. Now that I'm on a half daily dose I'm sleeping better though I get very tired early evening.

Babsm67

Thank you, Kew - I wish I could find an AD that suits me as it wou!d be a huge help!  I would feel calm within a short time of taking Escitilopram at 5mg but I still suffered insomnia.  The reaction was the final nail in the coffin though and I haven't found anything else that works in the same way since (except diazapam - if only it wasn't addictive!).  Thanks again x

Mardy

I am finding the St Johns Wort very helpful, plus I have started taking rhodiola rosea and am trying to practice mindfullness regularly. I definately cannot take Sertraline again as the rash - the purpura is not a good sign - means your blood is not clotting - dangerous & was without sleep for nearly a week.

flufferama

I had terrible side effects on both Sertraline and escitalopram when prescribed them for PND. That dreadful morning anxiety and agitation hit me like a ton of bricks.
The SSRI family of meds simply does not suit me when taken alone, even after persisting until well beyond the 'kicking-in' period.
I ended up being given Olanzapine at night to negate the side effects, I simply could not sleep on an SSRI without it.

You might find that with the diazepam the startup effects subside over time.

It's such a weird thing, for many the SSRIs make them tired. For me, and others, it sends anxiety off the charts. I'd much rather feel fatigued than climbing the walls!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:56:31 PM by flufferama »

bramble

Madbloss,
Two suggestions for anxiety - Mirtazipine - you take it at bedtime and it helps sleep as well - and Pregabalin - used for nerve pain but also for anxiety (see the NHS guidelines for anxiety meds) - again this should not affect sleep at all. Look them up on the net then discuss with your doctor. There are alternatives to the normal SSRIs out there and these are two of them.

Bramble

Babsm67

Hi Bramb!e, just seen your post - thanks for your suggestions.  I did try Mirtapazine many years ago but felt very lethargic on it (perhaps my dosage was too high?).  I will look into pregabalin - I absolutely hate this anxiety as it has been having a significant impact on my life & I have reached the point where I am desperate to find something that will get rid of it but will still enable me to function. Thanks again  :) x

bramble

Did you take it at night? The lower doses are better for sleep I think.
B.

Babsm67

Hi Bramble, yes I did - this increased anxiety is worst in the mornings & seems to have worsened since I started hrt (I got anxiety surges in the mornings with the Evorel patch but Utrogestan finished me off).  I have to say, though, that this has a!so coincided with the darker, autumnal mornings, some upsetting family news, being informed that our autistic son may move out within the next couple of years & starting training for a new job, pulling out then starting again!  I just feel I want to hide away from the world under my duvet & not emerge until the spring.  Does anyone else find their anxiety increases in the autumn & starts to lift in the spring?  I have noticed this ever since I had my chi!dren & my old escitilopram AD's always got rid of it. X

bramble

Often wondered if a Sad lamp would help. Never tried one though.
Bramble

Justjules

Hi Madbloss.  I'm definitely one who suffers through from September to Spring.  The family say it's all in my mind but even though I love Autumn and cosy dark nights, but my body doesn't!  The dark mornings are dreadful for me and dragging my weary bones out of bed at 6:45am for work makes me want to cry!

I've often wondered about getting a SAD lamp and see if it makes any difference.

Sorry to hear how you are struggling so much at the moment..... :foryou: x

Mardy

Worth trying a day light bulb, but you would need one at your work place too if you were to get benefit from it.

Our body is naturally going into hibernation. It's part of the seasonal thing. I sleep a lot more in Winter than at Mid Summer when it hardly gets dark here at all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7