Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Oestradial and testosterone results - 6 months post hysterectomy &ovary removal  (Read 6738 times)

abbyH

Hello everyone.
Just had some blood tests run - this is 6 months post op. Have been experiencing *drastic* hair loss and weight gain so had some tests... Have been on and off with Oestrogel quite low dose and having negative effects as in feeling bloated and emotional. But the results are that I have
oestradial - 84.. which is obviously low as post-meno even I would be still something like <183
Testosterone is 1.8 (02.2-9) at one point last year it was over 5! which was also a bit weird
Prolactin is 89 (40-530)

I'm due to see Nick Panay's team on the 30th and also have a hospital appointment with my gynae next week. I'm wondering if patches might be the way to go to get my levels up as obviously I'm keen to be able to get the best benefits from HRT now

I wondered if anyone had any experience of how soon it take for oestradial levels to rise and will my hair start to repair after I am on an optimal dose (with testosterone hopefully!)

My ferritin and B12 are good (74 and 498) but thyroid is a bit low FT4=11 and TSH 0.65

My feeling is that with proper guidance re the HRT and dosing at a much higher level than I have been, I'll probably see some improvements in hair and weight (I'm a stone over my normal comfortable 9st!)

Thanks very much for the guidance you ladies provide!

Abby x

Annie0710

Hi Abby

I'm not sure about testosterone levels and how accurate the tests are
But I've read that hair loss can be due to high and low T and so can oestrogen.  Good oestrogen levels are also known to help hair growth, it's all so confusing and sometimes the only way we'll know for sure is by trying these regimes I think

It definitely sounds like your T levels are too high for your E levels so perhaps try not thinking about T and get those E ones up ?

The knowledgeable ladies will be along soon I'm sure

X

Hurdity

Hi abbyH

Just a question re your oestrogen levels - were the measurements in pg/ml or pmol/l? If the latter then they are indeed pretty low, but if the former then this is a healthy level. Post-menopausal level is less than 130 pmol/l according to GP notebook. Your serum levels should rise immediately after starting HRT - within a few days - and reach steady state in 3-5 days or thereabouts? Some of the metabolic/structural changes will take longer after the oestrogen has been transported to the tissues and organs of the body where it takes effect. However 6 months is a short time for everything to settle down after a major op.

If you are not absorbing the oestrogen from gel then either increase the number of pumps or as you say try patches. Sandrena gel is more concentrated than estrogel so at higher doses you need slightly less of it and may be easier in this respect. I agree with Annie0710 re ratio of oestrogen to T - you definitely want to increase the former I would say if it is low.

Your TSH certainly looks healthy but I can see T4 is on the low side. Did they measure T3 as this is the important one - but as you know I am not an expert on this....

Sorry - not sure about the hair issue though...

All the very best for your visit with Nick Panay's team and with your GP too.

Hurdity x

abbyH

Hi there, thanks for your replies both Hurdity and Annie
yes my O levels were in pmol, so on the low side
I'm guessing that I'm not in balance - so maybe this is why the hair problem, and the thryoid isnt' helping. They never measure T3! but I might get a private test I think... They aren't expensive

I'll keep everyone posted and try and up my dose of O in the meantime... only  a few weeks until I'm seen in clinic :)

Abby

Annie0710

I kept thinking why you writing O when it's oestrogen ? OMG I'm losing my marbles lol.  I can spell it but used E for oestrogen !

I'm still at a loss to why I have hair loss

I even dream about it and the last dream was a news report that women who wear Paco Rabone 'lady million' perfume have reported hair loss !!!!

X

abbyH

Annie haha! I know the feeling!

Hair loss is devastating. I'm now at about 20% of my hair left, and what is left is very thin, breaks easily and the hair shaft itself is tiny... :( I've also got huge partings now, I had a look at the underneath adn back of my head today, and was shocked.. This started when I entered peri - in 2011 ... I think it's definitely linked to my Oestrogen levels as its got so much worse since my op - and I think Thyroid is involved. Now my iron levels are so much better and my hair is so much worse, I think I can rule that out although I'm sure it played a part in the gradual decline of my once luscious locks. I'm looking at wigs, hate the idea, but just so I can feel confident again about going out at night, I feel so bad about the way I look!

I think maybe once my O/E levels are stabilised things might improve..
take care
Abby

Annie0710

It truly is devastating and I can totally relate to everything you say

Mine started 2015 but was drastic, I'd say I've lost 30%, and I'm probably being generous thinking my hair WAS better than it actually was.  But I do remember for about a year before the shedding started my hair was the thickest it's ever been

Mine tied in with being post meno but I'd always had good O levels (not the exams)

It is very likely we'll get married next year, just us 2 eloping to Gretna Green but we want the package, car, bag piper and the nice photos so I think this will be my opportunity to discuss hair toppers with my fiancé, it's the one symptom of meno I've not plucked up the courage to discuss with him, our hair is such a big part of how we feel and look that I don't want him continuously looking at me and thinking about it but I want to look nice in our photos

X

elliebean

Hi Abby,

I empathise with you over your hair loss. I've been losing mine increasingly over recent months and it got to the point where I didn't want to go out of the house unless I had to because I felt so self-conscious. As Annie said hair plays such a huge part in a woman's sense of self and in raising or lowering her self-esteem.

I would encourage you to go to a wig salon and have a chat with someone if you possibly can. I dreaded the idea, but finally went yesterday (as I mentioned on another thread) and the woman was just lovely and so understanding. I was surprised at the range of wigs and hairpieces that they had. I was equally surprised when a small hairpiece (or topper) clipped in place on the top part of my head and gently teased in with my own hair made such a difference to how my hair looked over all and that it didn't look false or obvious.

x

abbyH

That's exactly what I am thinking of doing! I have had extensions before, but my hair is too fine now and it would look silly
I'll check out the world of wig's and maybe a topper -

Yes, it's a fundamental part of feeling good having lovely long glossy hair... I hope that once hormone levels are settled it might start to grow back?

thanks for responding xx

Annie0710

Hi Abby,

I empathise with you over your hair loss. I've been losing mine increasingly over recent months and it got to the point where I didn't want to go out of the house unless I had to because I felt so self-conscious. As Annie said hair plays such a huge part in a woman's sense of self and in raising or lowering her self-esteem.

I would encourage you to go to a wig salon and have a chat with someone if you possibly can. I dreaded the idea, but finally went yesterday (as I mentioned on another thread) and the woman was just lovely and so understanding. I was surprised at the range of wigs and hairpieces that they had. I was equally surprised when a small hairpiece (or topper) clipped in place on the top part of my head and gently teased in with my own hair made such a difference to how my hair looked over all and that it didn't look false or obvious.

x

Did the topper feel secure ?
It's times like a windy day that would worry me too

X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

:bighug:

elliebean

Annie - yes the topper I had in my hair did feel secure. It had several very small but what felt quite tight little clips (similar to what my daughter used to have in her extensions). It certainly didn't feel so insecure that it could blow off. I have to go back in a couple of weeks when they've ordered some in that are more my colouring, so will hopefully feel a little more relaxed about it all and have a better idea of the questions to ask then.

Abby - as I understand it if your hair loss is due to lack of hormones then once you get those right there's a good chance of some, if not all, of your hair regrowing. It is worth getting your thyroid checked properly too though as I believe that's a very common reason for hair loss.

Do you have someone who could go to a wig salon with you? It does help to take someone with you who you trust to give you a second opinion and to metaphorically hold your hand.

x

abbyH

Thanks Ellie, yes I have Hashimotos (thyroid antibodies) so it's possible that it's a combination of both!

I'll keep researching the wigs!
Xx