Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hair and nails awful!  (Read 5535 times)

Ljp

Hair and nails awful!
« on: September 05, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »

Hi ladies,
I'm 51, and post meno, on HRT oestrogel and mirena coil.
The past few years, most nice ably since periods stopped two years ago, my hair has become coarser and more frizzy, and my nails are just awful, so dry and rough.
I eat a healthy diet, and apply OPI nail envy for dry brittle nails, I've even tried a hair, skin and nails supplement with biotin in it, but nothing seems to really help.
Do any of you have this problem? Have you found anything that helps?
Thank you 🙄

Cazikins

Re: Hair and nails awful!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:00:14 PM »

Can't help you much with this but I do know that my hair is a lot shinier & healthier looking when on HRT, however it does fall out more when I wash & brush it.

As for nails - marmite does it for me - eat it not rub it on I mean.  ;D

Sorry I can't be more help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »

Maybe stop putting anything on your nails?  Lots of cream rubbed gently into the cuticles.  Use a 'baby' shampoo which is less likely to strip the oils from the hair cuticle and get a good cut from a saloon.  Don't wash your hair as often allowing any natural oils to coat the individual hairs.

I vary what I use as a shampoo. 

Ljp

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 02:53:01 PM »

Thank you.
CLKD if I put nothing on my nails, they are so dry they catch on my clothing 
Hairdressing was my career for years, and I later worked in a swimming pool, I think all the water my hands have been exposed to has taken its toll unfortunately, but so much worse since menopause.
Not coping well with 'the change" at all 😟

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 02:55:43 PM »

My thought was that some solutions can be drying.  Do you soak hands in warm water with any oil in, i.e. olive oil?  Then dry them with a warmed towel?  Is it feet and hands?

I used to eat jelly cubes  :sick02: which was supposed to strengthen nails - do you remember that phase?

Ljp

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 03:26:24 PM »

Yes feet and hands, my big toe nails are horrendously dry, not tried oil and water, nor warm towels

Belladonna

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 03:29:46 PM »

Most nail strengtheners make the nails drier and harder. That's not what you need. Have you tried oil? Avocado oil is good. :)

Another option is to get a layer of acrylic on top of your own nails. That's what I do. My nails aren't exactly brittle but very rigid so they would break off deep into the nail bed all the time. You can imagine the pain!  :'(

The layer of acrylic protects my own nails and I have been able to grow them long and beautiful. I get gel polish on top and they stay gorgeous for a month or longer but then they have grown so much I need to redo them. It's been a life saver for my nails and it makes me feel better about myself so I think it's well worth the money if you can spare it. :)

My hair got really thin too after premature ovarian failure (and chemo at the same time...). Increasing estrogen seems to have helped a bit though. My best advice is to use organic products for weak and damaged hair. I love Giovanni, they have great stuff esp the deep conditioners. I also only wash my hair twice a week tops, brush it very sparingly and sleep on a satin cotton pillowcase. My hair is long so I trim the ends regularly (do it myself to save time and money).

Keep chemical treatments to a minimum. Also don't underestimate taking enough vitamins and minerals. I know androgens cause hair loss so maybe check that?

Ljp

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »

Used to have acrylics years ago, and gels polishes, became allergic to gel polish, so I don't use either anymore.
The OPI nail envy is a treatment for dry brittle nails, not a strengthener.

It's strange with my hair, some days it can look shiny and love,y and other days it's dull and frizzy looking.

What are androgens?

Milamam

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »

Yes, although on HRT, my hair has become very brittle, dry, itchy scalp and my nails akso dry, fragile and brittle. I have always had thick healthy hair and thick nails as well so this is new situation for me. I also do now use nail sthrenghtener with different oils in it, without it the nails just break! Ouch, awful! The hair - i have begun to use pure argan oil on damp hair, works well for now.

There are days when things don't seem so dry so I do believe it is due to hormones. Oh, and my skin is soooo much drier, have never been thus dry before. I guess the solution is to adapt using various products (trial and error) as for me the dryness occurs despite HRT. I don't complain at all as long as the other awful symptoms are kept at bay.
Milamam

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »

Omega 3 - great for skin, hair, joints - just about everything. I went to a lecture, about 20 years ago, given by a professor from Oxford who had done controlled trials on the benefits of Omega 3 in children.  The compelling case for all of us to take Omega 3 supplements was so great I have been taking this ever since.  It is also said to help with low mood, keeps the mind active and alert etc.
I also take Vitamin D3 in winter - I get plenty of sunshine in summer - but this vital vitamin is fab for lots of things as well.

I do swear by Clinique products - particularly their moisturisers - they don't irritate my skin and you really get your moneys worth as a little goes a long way.
For body moisturiser, the Neutrogena lotion is fab and cheap. 

DG xxx

Ljp

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 07:17:38 AM »

I have taken omega 3,6,9 in the past, but I'm rather bad at taking regularly.
I get a bit confused on which is best, fish oil, flaxseed, or evening primrose oil?
Thyroid was tested when I had blood tests done last year. I have no reason to think I have thyroid problems.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 09:04:56 AM »

Krill oil is one of the best for the Omega 3.  For years I took Eye Q - expensive but very good quality.  Flaxseed will never be as good as fish sourced Omega - I think there is some concern about pollutants in some Cod Liver oil capsules and even the fish that we eat!!!??? So supplements that have been treated to remove pollutants (Eye Q) is best and krill oil that is sourced responsibly is apparently very good.

DG x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »

Flaxseed is a different type of oil, I bought some years ago but couldn't crack it without the stuff flying all over the kitchen  ;D.

We are what we eat.  How long Dancinggirl would someone need to swallow Omega what's-its B4 noticing a difference? I too forget easily to swallow anything 'extra' particularly having difficulty with food anyway  ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 01:26:04 PM »

You can get EyeQ in liquid form I think - some children can't swallow pills.  In the trial they did with Omega 3 all those years ago - they literally put half a class of children on the Omega oils and the other half on placebo ( this was done with several groups I believe) and within a few weeks there was such a marked improvement in the health, behaviour, learning abilities, sleep etc. with the children on the Omega oils, that parents of the children clearly not on the Omega oils were demanding that their children be given this wonderful supplement.

How long will it take to work - well I think it depends on how low our diet is in these vital omega oils - these days they do add Omega oils to many of our food stuffs with good reason - but like all things I suspect it will very from persons to person.  I also think that it is believed to help to maintain brain function generally - so may help to reduce dementia ???
Lot's of good reasons to take this supplement and it is a safe one to take.
DG xxx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 02:29:27 PM »

I vague remember that Trial - the Results are probably out there somewhere  ::)

:thankyou:
Pages: [1] 2