Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What a journey!!!  (Read 4056 times)

renee

What a journey!!!
« on: September 04, 2016, 09:32:47 PM »

Hi folks,

Just sitting on my sofa tonight, all quiet in my house and I'm reflecting on my menopause journey. What a journey it's been.......

It all started 5 years ago when I was 45, now Im 50 and can't believe how women who go through a bad menopause cope with normal day to day life, were defo made of strong stuff  ;

Went from normal periods to which seemed a massacre every month then of course the anaemia would set in, anxiety, insomnia, itchy dry skin, bloating, low mood, sweats, spots, aches and pains, vaginal dryness, UTI's, low energy.....really everything that makes you feel so distant to the person you were before!!

Ablation didn't work, couldn't get a coil fitted. Scans to find I have a thickening of the womb and numerous fibroids. Oestrogen surges whilst on HRT was the worst.....never felt so ill.

So....where am I now? After all these years of slowly being tried and tested, having to give up my work that I loved I decided back in Feb to give up on HRT, I wanted to find out where am I on this roller coaster ride?

Well I'm not gripping on with white knuckles anymore, I'm still being tested but I understand it more, Im good to me now....no more beating myself up for not working, no more pushing myself to be the same energetic, party girl. Iv changed into a woman who is calmer, more thankful for the good days, I go for walks, bake cakes, read, have a nap if I want one and I'm grateful for my life.

Yes Iv changed but that's ok. Many times, Iv just needed to read about other women's journey so Iv popped on menopause matters ALOT over the years and it's been a life saver.

Your not alone in this meno journey......so stick in, take the help and advice, don't suffer and you too will come out the other side and think PHEW what a journey that was ❤️

Cazikins

Re: What a journey!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:59:20 PM »

Thanks renee for that. It's good to hear these things & it will help a lot of woman.

To me it seems to be a matter of "accepting" or "embracing" the menopause.

I chose to accept it about 2 years ago (after starting it 9 years ago). I felt I could never embrace it because it came at the wrong time in my life, 2nd marriage, fantastic job, confident woman - then it all came crashing down on me & I had to give up a lot, but hey ho I survived with a few adjustments.

It is a hell of a journey but we get there somehow, it doesn't last forever & at times it is not nice - but life goes on & we have to adjust our expectations about things.

Thanks again renee for posting - keep in touch as the forum needs woman like you.

Cazi x

warwick01

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »

Hi Renee

Lovely post! nice to hear a positive post. For me at 57 still struggling >:( 6 years on

Wxx

Janice68

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 09:13:03 AM »

Me too what s lovely positive post Renee!!!
Thank you for your lovely words on the meno journey at the end of your post too.
Jan x

renee

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 09:17:39 AM »

Thanks Cazikins, Sparkle and Warwick01.....I hear you loud and clear about adjusting to it Cazikins. I hear acceptance from you Sparkle and Warwick01 I'm sorry your still struggling all those years on, my advice would be take all the help you can and think of YOU. 💕

Of course we speak of the physical changes but what about the psychological journey, worries with money when you know you can't work the same hours or work at all. Feelings of letting your loved ones and friends down.....their looking at us thinking, where's my wife, mum, sister, friend. We're still here and we're working it out....give us time, love and compassion 💕

Take good care of yourselves girls 💕

renee

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »

Thank you Jan....i do feel Iv been on quiet a journey, I tell my daughter what I'm going through who is 27 because my Mum never spoke of her meno journey even though I saw changes in her. She was snappy, distant and slept ALOT and I began to feel a bit resentful as a young girl towards my mum because I had been used to her being bubbly, soft and the life and soul. Xx

renee

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 09:26:30 AM »

This will make you giggle....Iv had no period for 7 months, woke up early this morning flooded. Sore tummy, boobs and it's a heavy bleed!!!

So....Im lucky I can get my hot water bottle, keep my pjs on and snuggle down with my kindle. Might even gave a wee snooze lol. What a cheek haha xx

Janice68

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 09:31:35 AM »

Good point about the psychological journey too Renee the anxiety, depression oh I could go on. I don't work at the moment due to meno as you said the worry of money on top of that. But as you said it's about being  Kind to yourself and funny enough somehow it does sort it self out in time. There's no magic wand but we do adapt in time!
I have to say again a lovely wonderful post Renee!!
Janx

Janice68

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 09:34:56 AM »

Your so positive Renee!!
Your heavy bleed your having just now your body is making up for it now!! After 7 months.
Take care xx

renee

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:53:27 AM »

Jan68 money worries isn't good. Iv cashed in ISA accounts, savings, shop in different stores now, bog off offers....lights out and heating off when it doesn't have to be on!! Haha Iv cut my bills right down. Quiet proud of myself actually and surprised!! X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 11:26:45 AM »

:thankyou:

hope your period doesn't last too long!

renee

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »

Thank you CKLD.....Iv looked out my low dose iron tabs and Ill take them while its heavy. I'm learning.......💕

renee

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 01:37:09 PM »

Hi Sparkle.....looking back yes there were signs things were changing AGAIN. Hot sweats stopped about 6 weeks beforehand then 2 weeks ago I started getting a yukky discharge, anxiety and a bit of insomnia.

Now I feel fine, just a very heavy bleed xx

Cazikins

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 01:50:33 PM »

Don't want to worry you but it might be worth getting it checked out renee.
When was your previous period to the one 7 months ago?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »

Oh I had breaks of 9-10 months Btween periods, never thought to go to the GP.  It's after a break of 2+ years that one is advised to seek medical advice.
Pages: [1] 2