Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: DVT Risk Worry  (Read 1247 times)

Tempest

DVT Risk Worry
« on: September 07, 2016, 08:43:08 PM »

Hi ladies.

I'm extremely worried, and wondered if you can give me any advice please.

As you may know, I have had a big struggle with getting HRT and previous problems with Estrogel. The Menopause Consultant told my GP to start me on Premarin, which I have taken for 17 days at 0.3mg dose and now 6 days at 0.625mg.

I was a total mess when I agreed reluctantly to start this, absolutely desperate. But my Menopause Consultant and GP did not know that my Mum suffered both DVT and thrombophlebitis whilst on Premarin (she also had cancer at the time of her treatment). I did not get the chance to tell them at the time as my GP told me to start it by phone initially, and was not available for a lengthy conversation.

I am absolutely sick with worry as I simply do not know if I should be taking oral HRT due to the close familial incidence of DVT. I can't sleep over this, and my anxiety is skyrocketing. I don't really feel comfortable with my GP, and don't know what to do as I feel she is getting sick and tired of dealing with me to be honest.

If I simply stop taking it, I'll be back to square one and I can't face that again. I'm very tempted though as I can't take the worry any more.

Should I try to phone the Menopause Consultant? See the GP? Am I worrying unduly? (I'm thinking not, but it could be my anxiety and maybe I am).

Any advice please would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Dana

Re: DVT Risk Worry
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:50:45 PM »

Short term used isn't going to be a problem. What I would do is take the Premarin so you can get some relief, which is the most important thing at the moment.

This will give you some breathing space to allow you to find someone to prescribe something you feel more comfortable with. I'm not sure if you've tried patches, Estradot is a good one.

Tempest

Re: DVT Risk Worry
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:03:10 PM »

Thank you, Dana! That makes sense. I really cannot put my body and mind through stopping HRT again. I really don't think I would survive that again! :'(