Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Chloasma  (Read 3501 times)

Mojo61

Chloasma
« on: September 04, 2016, 12:55:52 PM »

I have developed quite a large area of chloasma on one side of my neck and it is spreading now. I don't remember having it before I started the HRT. Is it connected and is there anything I can do to get rid of it, or at least cover it up as I'm starting to become self conscious of the mark?

Megamind

Re: Chloasma
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 01:31:43 PM »

I remember a few of my friends getting this in pregnancy. Yes it appears it is linked to HRT.  See following.

https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/melasma-chloasma.html

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 05:17:55 PM »

I know someone who it happened to just after starting hrt

Belladonna

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »

I have it too. :(

The more hormones you take the worse it gets and there is no real way of getting rid of it apart from stopping the hormones... :(
Using spf doesn't prevent it although it helps a bit. Wearing a hat too can help.
I have tried everything, mine is in the classic spot over my nose and cheeks. Fortunately not dark or purplish but golden tan and it melts in with my freckles. I still think it's unsightly and don't like going out with bare skin. I use spf 30-50 every day so clearly that's not a solution. Also it makes my skin stay quite pale which makes the spots more visible! I find self tanner helps even it out a bit. In the winter I use a cream with 10% AHA acid but you can't use that in the summer because exfoliating can make the skin even more prone to melasma/cloasma. The AHA helps a bit.

I have read about laser but it can make it even worse! The Asian bleaching creams are cancerogenic and dangerous.

Unless you can stay out of the sun completely (and who wants to?) your best bet is to use spf 30 or higher every time you go out the door, use AHA or BHA except in the summer and get a good foundation that will cover most of it. I recommend Stila Stay all day or any foundation that is heavy coverage.

I say be happy it's not on your face. :) I'd much prefer to have my brown spots on my neck and not in the middle of my face.