Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Combined Estrogen and progesterone Hrt?  (Read 4858 times)

Kellyh

Combined Estrogen and progesterone Hrt?
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »

First month on Hrt. The first two weeks were fantastic. All symptoms went straight away (on the Estrogen tablets) a week into the progesterone tablets - I've been so tired, weak and having daily headaches

I was wondering of there was a combination Hrt of both the drugs - so I didn't have to take them separately?

If not, I'll just have to stick with it and wish for the Estrogen weeks to come quickly :)

Thanks for all your help x

Bette

Re: Combined Estrogen and progesterone Hrt?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »

Hi Kelly
I believe that you're on Climagest? The prog. in that is Norethisterone which does seem to disagree with some ladies. I'd suggest seeing how things go next month and if you don't feel better, try a different HRT with a different prog.
The different types are listed here:-
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php
Femoston seems popular with ladies on here; Dydrogesterone seems to be one of the "kinder" progs but it can take a few attempts to find the right HRT.
Good that you're feeling better on the estrogen, though.  :)
Bette x

Kellyh

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 04:56:29 PM »

I really appreciate your help bette. Yes, I'll see how it goes then maybe try another if no
Improvement.

It was going So well too :) sod's law

Thanks again. Hope you are well x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:27:43 PM »

Hi kellyh

Just to add that you are not really taking them separately - you are taking 16 days of oestrogen only, and 12 days of oestrogen combined with progestin (norethisterone), so if you have to be on a cyclical HRT ( due to you age and stage of menopause) then this is as combined as you will get!
As Bette says it is probably the norethisterone in the combined pills giving you the headaches - this is what happened to me. Really on HRT if you can tolerate progesterone generally, hopefully you shouldn't feel worse than you did when having periods at the pre-menstrual stage - and this is usually just after stopping the progesterone just before the bleed.
So - don't worry if you still feel a bit rough until a few days into the oestrogen only - but I agree with Bette - see what happens when you start the prog/oestro combined pills next month and if no better defo try something else!

Hurdity x

diharp

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:58:09 PM »

I have no idea what I am doing I can;t find out how to post a new topic. I have been on Elleste Duet 2mg for 3 months. I was great on it for a couple of months then I am hit with Insomnia, Constipation until I had rectal bleeding. restless leg syndrome and depression. I have terrible periods and my GP is a locum and should not have put me on it I had only 1 bleed in the prior 12 months. He wants to put me on the Conti but the side effects still read the same. I am addicted to diazepam and take Amitriptyline. Endometrium, uterus and Cervix all fine. periods are are down to the drugs I think. But I have now ceased the HRT abruptly. I thought it would do wonderful things for me. I tried Agnus Castus but that bottomed out. What is out there for me. ??? Anything I don't leave the house, I don't dress, I don't have sex. I don't know how to post a message I hope someone out there can tell me how to do it. I feel like checking out. Everything is a mess.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »

Hi Diharp. What a lot you have to contend with at the moment but lots of us on here have gone through similar and now that you have found us things will start looking up.  :hug:

You say that for the first couple of months you felt great on Elleste. Did you have any significant life changes happen in the last month to bring on the depression and other things? Have you been tested for anaemia lately as this can lead to restless legs. Do you mean that you have had terrible periods while on HRT? The periods during the first three months can be quite heavy and painful but they usually even out. The good news is that there are different types you can try. How old are you?

Someone else will be along soon to welcome you.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 05:45:22 PM »

Hi diharp

:welcomemm: from me too.

To start a new topic just go to the forum home page, then click on the board where you want to post a topic ( eg All Things Menopause). Then you will see a list of topics on that board. At the top right you will see some little blue tabs and one says "New topic". Click on that, and a blank post will come up - think of a title - type that on, then type your question, click post (or preview if you want to check what it looks like) - and you're there!

Anyway about your question - I was wondering how old you are and whether your periods were gradually tailing off in the past two years? You are only supposed to start on continuous combined HRT ( ie the same tablet every day containing oestrogen and the progestogen) when you have not had a period for at least 12 months prior to starting (ie you are post-menopausal) - just having one period in 12 months doesn't count if the period was say 6 months ago.

Having said that in certain circumstances if you are in late peri-menopause doctors will start women on conti HRT before they are post-menopausal - especially if there are bleeding problems.

Perhaps this particular product doesn't agree with you? If so there are others to try. Femoston is generally well tolerated. All the different HRT products for post-menopause (no bleed ones) are listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

The ones that still produce a monthly withdrawal bleed are here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

There are laso all sorts of treatments for heavy bleeding here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

Many doctors prescribe the Mirena coil at this time which will prevent heavy bleeding and eventually stop periods altogether. This enables you then to have oestrogen only HRT with minimal side effects - either in tablet, gel or patch.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x

penny5689

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 10:08:58 AM »

Hi 🙋 this is my first time to be on this site so not sure if I.m replying to ppl opinion properly about hrt so I send this mgs to see if I txt it right lol 😂 so hi guys 🙋