Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Confused where I am in the menopause  (Read 1830 times)

angilee

Confused where I am in the menopause
« on: September 03, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »

Hi,

I posted yesterday regarding a small amount of bleeding...I am a bit confused where I am in the menopause, so hoping someone can help me out here.

I am 56, not had a period since I was 51..I have been having hot sweats since then too..day and night..so, am I what you would call post menopause now? never taken HRT or been tested for menopause.

Thank you
Angilee

Taz2

Re: Confused where I am in the menopause
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 08:33:49 AM »

He angilee - if you have been a year without a period then you are classed as post menopause. Oestrogen levels continue to drop so hot sweats can become more of a problem once periods stop. HRT is usually good at preventing hot sweats and flushes. I read about the bleeding on your other thread and feel you should get this checked out but if you have never taken HRT then one of the causes could be vaginal atrophy as, without oestrogen, the vaginal tissues become dry and very thin. It is possible to be prescribed topical oestrogen in the form of pessaries or cream for insertion into the vagina which can help enormously with vaginal dryness, bladder problems if you don't want to use full HRT.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x

angilee

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »

Hi Taz,

Thank you for your reply, I was just confused with all the terminology regarding menopause. The bleeding is not like you would have on a period..in fact it is hardly anything at all...I see pinkish blood when pushing up inside with toilet tissue...and tiged pink after wiping when I have been for a wee. Although I am worried, I will be getting this checked out. Once again, it has happened just as I am going on holiday later this week for a fortnight, and no female Dr available at the surgery in the next few days...

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »

I know it's difficult but try not to worry too much. If you are referred for tests by your GP this can also make you feel panicky but it is normal NHS guidelines especially after a certain age that you are fast-tracked. It doesn't mean that there is anything seriously wrong.

Are you up to date with your smear tests?

Taz x  :hug:

angilee

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 10:46:36 AM »

Hi Taz,

Pretty much up to date...just a couple of months overdue because I have had so much going on lately, vertigo, breast clinic, back and knee pain to name a few..all I have done is run back and forth to the Dr's, hospitals, physio etc...and trying to go to work as well...I don't know where I am most of the time and not sleeping isn't helping matters, up and down out of bed every couple of hours...bloody menopause, I am sick of it!

Angilee

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 12:29:33 PM »

Sounds like you are having a really trying time of it. Would you consider HRT? Quality of life is so important especially now we have to hold down jobs for much longer as well as maybe care for children, grandchildren, parents...

Taz x