Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hands getting more painful  (Read 7042 times)

Dawncam

Hands getting more painful
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:33:54 PM »

I've recently changed from oestrogel to estradot 75. Whilst I had joint pain on gel my hands seem to be getting worse on patch. Sleep is really bad too. Any ideas?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hands getting more painful
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »

Over the counter Pain relief?

Dawncam

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 01:59:50 PM »

For sleeping?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »

Do you know what's wrong with your hands to cause the pain?

Taz x

Dawncam

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 03:36:43 PM »

Hi Taz - no, it's just joint pain in the finger joints and knuckles. I did have bad neck, shoulder and elbow pain too but that seems to have diminished somewhat since starting patches. My post utrogestan bleed just started so that may be related and also related to bad sleeping/night sweats?

Just trying to get a balance - not
easy! Dxx

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »

I wouldn't have thought that gel and patches would have a differential effect on joints of the body re pain etc? The progesterone withdrawal is very likely to have some effect on the body, which will be different for different women - due to the reversal of the physiological changes which occur when we take high doses of progesterone. Not sure about joints specifically though  :-\

Hurdity x

Dawncam

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »

Thank you for replies. Suppose I'll just wait it out and see what happens.

Dxx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 04:57:05 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop off the muscles can become lax = aches and pains.  Hence my suggestion of OTC Pain relief.  Some pain relief can relax a person enough to get good quality sleep. 

You could ask a pharmacist if the regime is likely to cause aches and pains and could also speak with a physio. for advice i.e. cold/hot water treatment: 1 had 2 bowls of water, one with cold the other with hot water and one soaks the hands/wrists for a few moments in each.  A warm towel after 10 mins. is nice to dry with.

Dawncam

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 05:55:31 PM »

Thank you CLKD - I've come to the conclusion after a year of gel then patches then gel then patches that transdermal is not the route for me. I've tried to make it work but didn't have these symptoms on tablets, just bad prog symptoms due to combi tabs. Just found myself in floods of tears coupled with hands aching, night sweats and little sleep it's not a great way to live. I'm going back to consultant to see if I can try oestrogen in tablet form.

Dxx

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 05:56:37 PM »

I would say you need to find out what is causing your painful hands. Although aches and pains can be part of menopause I really think that painful knuckles and joints need to be checked out. Are your vitamin D levels ok by the way?

Taz x

Dawncam

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »

Hi Taz - yes, they were fine last time they were checked. I really think it's linked to transdermal oestrogen or possibly utrogestan. Joint aches started about a month after I started oestrogel and night sweats and bad sleep have been coming back since beg of year.

Dxx

Megamind

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 07:18:42 PM »

It sounds like arthritis. Are your fingers very stiff on a morning? Are they swollen? You could try putting your hands in a sink filled with warm water in the mornings, see if that helps at all. I think it's easy to always put medical problems down to hormones and the menopause but some things are bound to occur alongside this. I would go to your GP about your sore hands.

Dawncam

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »

Thanks megamind - it may well be arthritis but the other symptoms still need to be addressed. Will speak to GP.

Thank you for advice on warm water.

Dxx

Dawncam

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 09:13:59 PM »

Thank you so much menomale - that's interesting because my aching joints have only really started since I stopped a conti regime. Although prog intolerant, I can just about manage utrogestan V route and wonder if that, conti, might help. Will ask GP.

As an aside, you're on an interesting hrt regime - was that prescribed in the uk?

Dxx

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 09:15:22 PM »

I find that I get pins and needles more often in the hands/arms as I sleep face down  ::).  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can be bothersome during The Change that is definitely related to hormones.
Pages: [1] 2