Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BBC Trust me I'm a doctor investigates apple cider vinegar  (Read 11036 times)

Elizabethrose

BBC Trust me I'm a doctor investigates apple cider vinegar
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:17:30 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37229792

I love this series, haha, I'm from a family of medics who all really enjoy it too! This one is investigating the health claims of apple cider vinegar.

I have been waiting for this new series as I've been told that they are going to be investigating Glucosamine and Chondroitin at some point which I have been taking in the form of a combined joint and bone supplement for bone and joint health. I've always been a bit of a sceptic as far as vitamins are concerned believing that if we are well informed and eat well that should be enough, (I think that was drilled into us as kids by my parents, typical doctors "pull yourself together, it's only a little blood, you don't need a plaster"!!!!) But my perimeno joint pain had become troublesome so I decided to see if I could do something about it. Been taking it for about 5 months now.

I was going to post this on a recent thread about RA that was started by a member Honey something(?) but it seems to have disappeared. I found another thread that has been resurrected from about a year ago which also has comments on it indicating that other members had lost the thread too. I tried to find the member but she is not listed. Can a whole thread just disappear, even if a member leaves? How very odd!

Anyway, I've posted here now and hope that anyone with an interest in bone health will catch it. x

Dorothy

Re: BBC Trust me I'm a doctor investigates apple cider vinegar
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:22:32 AM »

It's an interesting article, but I was puzzled by the fact that they gave coloured water to some volunteers to check the placebo effect...surely the whole point of this kind of test is that the volunteer doesn't know whether or not they are drinking the 'real' thing.  There is no way anyone could mistake 2 tablespoons of vinegar mixed with 200ml water for plain water with food colouring in it.  The vinegar taste is very, very strong (wondered if I was over-imagining the strength of it, so I have just tried drinking this dilution myself, and you couldn't be in any doubt you were drinking water with vinegar in it!)

Also interested to note that one volunteer reported less painful joints even though scientifically, the differences were supposedly too small to get excited about.  Would love to know what the long-term effects are on joint health.  I was tested for anaemia some years ago - results came back and the GP said my levels were so nearly normal that it couldn't possibly be affecting my health but gave me iron tablets anyway - which totally transformed me from a lethargic wreck into someone brimming over with energy.  So I am always a little sceptical now when I'm told the difference is too slight to make a real impact!

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 09:30:43 AM »

So true. Wow, I'm impressed that you've just experimented with it. Haha, good for you!

I say it so often, what is normal? What's perfect for someone is not going to be perfect for someone else. Every specification is just the law of averages. We are all totally unique! If something works for us - stick with it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »

Hope to be awake long enough to watch !  Mum has used apple cider vinegar for years.

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 01:20:24 PM »

I have a friend who takes it to avoid kidney stones.  I is also supposed to cure veruccas  ;)

It is interesting about the cholesterol levels, though.

Maybe I can reduce my cholesterol levels and make sure I never get a kidney stone at the same time.  :)

Elizabethrose

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 03:13:56 PM »

Now wouldn't that be wonderful... a panacea for all!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »

It's an interesting article, but I was puzzled by the fact that they gave coloured water to some volunteers to check the placebo effect...surely the whole point of this kind of test is that the volunteer doesn't know whether or not they are drinking the 'real' thing.  There is no way anyone could mistake 2 tablespoons of vinegar mixed with 200ml water for plain water with food colouring in it.  The vinegar taste is very, very strong (wondered if I was over-imagining the strength of it, so I have just tried drinking this dilution myself, and you couldn't be in any doubt you were drinking water with vinegar in it!)

Also interested to note that one volunteer reported less painful joints even though scientifically, the differences were supposedly too small to get excited about.  Would love to know what the long-term effects are on joint health.  I was tested for anaemia some years ago - results came back and the GP said my levels were so nearly normal that it couldn't possibly be affecting my health but gave me iron tablets anyway - which totally transformed me from a lethargic wreck into someone brimming over with energy.  So I am always a little sceptical now when I'm told the difference is too slight to make a real impact!

Yes I agree there Dorothy – the placebo effect in this experiment I imagine is impossible to test, and so any subjective result like the perception of pain cannot necessarily be attributed to the treatment ie the vinegar, because the coloured water people know they are getting just that! Better if there is an objective measure eg the anti-inflammatory marker but still there is no proper way of testing for placebo.

You also mentioned about small differences – if the number of people taking part in the experiment were large enough, then even if an effect is only small, it could still be statistically significant – and therefore more likely that whatever it is (that was being measured) was not due to chance and therefore may work for more other individuals too. That's why all trials involving people need to have very large numbers and also because as Elisabethrose says we are all very variable so eg just looking at two people, for example, may give a very different result.

I have seen one or two of his programmes and they always make for compelling viewing – and must be fun for the participants and are a good way of introducing the public to the idea of scientific experiments. However I am sure they aren't intended for any reliable conclusions to be drawn but a bit of fun and good TV – after all the sample size is minute – in this experiment 10 in each treatment – so unlikely that any result would be statistically significant, and they are not carried on for long enough to determine any lasting results! Hopefully if the right research has not been done though, his work can point the way for further more in depth trials into various treatments?

As for the explanation in the article about acetic acid and blood sugars in relation to apple cider vinegar – what a weird thing to say – I mean what does malt vinegar contain but acetic acid???!!

Now I've seen the article I'm not tempted to watch though as I know the outcome!!!!

Hurdity x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 04:12:53 PM »

Well I know what I'll be doing at 8pm - highly entertaining!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 04:49:32 PM »

Apple cider vinegar has been used and written about for years++.  I have found books  in antique shops that go back to the 1800s …………

If I can stay awake long enough I will be watching ;-).

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 04:53:41 PM »

Elizabethrose, I have heard people rave about apple cider vinegar but I have never tried it myself.  I will watch this episode, it could be an interesting one. 

Funny about the disappearing thread, I wonder what happened?

Elizabethrose

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 04:55:41 PM »

Good girl CLKD, they're always entertaining, though may not impress the many medical professors amongst us. Though saying that, my brother who is a prof loves them!!

Enjoy! x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »

No idea MaryG, the comment seems not to have generated a response when all else has. Maybe nobody knows where the thread went to!

Enjoy the programme, they are quite light weight but rather illuminating usually. I've told my brothers they are not good looking enough to be the resident docs on the show. They are not best pleased! x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 05:01:11 PM »

Whilst I like to know that my prescribed medication has been through hoops and jumps to make it safe to take, vinegar has been used for so many different applications in the kitchen that I am interested to see 'why' it works.  Mum boils water which she then cools, adds apple cider vinegar to drink.   :-X.  She'll be 90 soon.

Apparently there is a difference between malt vinegar and cider apple, hopefully Dr M will tell us later.

Oh what did I miss this time  ;D

Elizabethrose

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 05:04:48 PM »

CLKD, my mother is a wise woman too. Though medically trained, with a pretty distinguished career, she never ignored trusted old remedies: my Grannie taught her well!

Enjoy x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 05:07:17 PM »

My Granma swore by Dettol, Zinc and Caster Oil and baby talc  ;D
Don't know about the other Granny, must ask Mum ……… Mum herself had a sweetie tin if we fell, no dashing to Hospital for us  ::), plus a bowl of warm water with Dettol for scraped knees.
Pages: [1] 2