Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: VA, HRT , Utrogestin AMAZING GP.  (Read 2648 times)

Maryjane

VA, HRT , Utrogestin AMAZING GP.
« on: September 01, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »

Bit of a hooray for a common sense GP.

Put my reapet in for 5 xs vagifem a week and my 1mg sandrena for three months supply.

Got there JUST two vagifem a week prescribed, me an immediate nervous breakdown and the wonderful receptionist , got me in with the lady GP my own was on holiday and the prescription had gone to a male GP.

What needed doing was my blood pressure .

Anyway the lady GP , said she is sick to death of "The Daily Fail" and the unnecessary stress there " headlines cause ".

She said VA is hers and the others lady doctors " bread and butter" so common , just not discussed.

She said yes the risk is double from 3 per 1,000 to 6 per 1,000 what about the 994 who don't get breast cancer , I said I feel embarrassed being on HRT as if I'm weak , she said absolute nonsense , would you deprive someone of insulin or thyroxine NO , you take your HRT and enjoy life NOW.

She also said I can have 5 vagifem a week absolutely no problem more if necessary, as she said a 1,000 vagifem is equal to ONE 1mg of my sandrena I use everyday.

She then asked if I needed more utrogestin, and I said no I am only on it 7 days a month , I started to explain why the low dose , and she said she has many ladies who only take utrogestin for 21 days every THREE months as they can't tolerate more , and so long as you are having a good bleed you don't need anymore , why take what you don't need.

So I am so relieved to have two lady GPS at my practice singing from the same hymn sheet as the controversial, 7 a day Utrogestin consultants.

The male GPs however are pretty clueless re HRT.

Her  mother died of ovarian cancer and she is biking 900 miles to raise money , I will definitely be donating.

Nina

Re: VA, HRT , Utrogestin AMAZING GP.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 05:39:33 PM »

That's lovely Mary Jane! Great news  :D

Sweetscarlett

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »

That's great news Mary Jane
💜💜💜💜💜Ssx

dazned

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »

:medal:  for your GP

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 07:30:38 PM »

How wonderful to have a sympathetic GP - who is also willing to vary ie reduce the licensed dose of progesterone for progesterone intolerant women. Hopefully she agrees also to make sure their womb lining is checked too. My GP is also happy for me to be on a longer cycle -  not 3 months though.

Just for the record in case it's quoted - she meant 100 Vagifem!!! 100 x 10 mcg = 1000 mcg = 1 mg.....  ;)

I expect you will be seeing her again!

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 07:37:29 PM »

Great news Maryjane, if only more doctors would sanction the 100mg 7 day Utrogestan regime.  There is no way a prominent professor in his field would recommend this regime if it was dangerous. 

She is spot on about Daily Mail scaremongering too, an extra 3 women per thousand is hardly big numbers is it but I suppose when you put it like that, it doesn't scare their readers enough.  We still don't even know if Utrogestan was used. 

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 07:56:54 PM »

Just to be absolutely clear Mary G - no-one has actually said it is dangerous - but I have said several times on here that Prof Studd's own research showed that there was a greater incidence of endometrial hyperplasia when progesterone was given for only 7 days per month, and this risk was reduced to zero (in the research studies) when given for 12 days. I can't remember the dosages, nor route (I presume oral) but this research formed the basis of much that followed. When I get time I'll look it up again ( during the dark days of winter ....). Many women will be fine - but some won't hence the licensed dosage has to err on the side of caution. Of course it can be varied, and is - but under medical supervision, and endometrial linings must be monitored.

Hurdity x

Freckles

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »

That's great news Maryjane!
Nice for once to read on here about a GP who knows what they are talking about when it comes to HRT!
I'm on the 7 days 100mg Utrogestan regime too and it works really well for me too, with an effective bleed. 
Really pleased you have a medic who know their stuff!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 09:17:55 PM »

Approachable GP, great news!

Freckles

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »

That's an interesting reply Hurdity, so thanks for that.

I'd be really interested to know in which paper Studd (you've mentioned him in your post so I have too! ;) ) published that information, as I have the vast majority of his clinical papers and don't recall that information cited in them regarding using Utrogestan in any of them as you have indicated re using "progesterone". Obviously there  are many different types, different dosages and different methods of delivery, which all affect women's responses.

I know he's published past clinical papers explaining why 7 days of 100 mg Utrogestan each month is generally well tolerated by the majority of women, progesterone intolerant or otherwise and without the risk of increased thickening of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia). And without the need  for uterine (womb) scans to ensure efficacy of Utrogestan if you get the appropriate monthly withdrawal bleed.   

I remember years ago he and his team did a research paper on the effect of 12 days of Norethisterone (synthetic progesterone) in women who had hysterectomies  and receiving oestrogen and that depression, anxiety, loss of energy became more severe the higher the dose of progesterone used.  I recall he and his team wanted to continue the study on women who had PMS before their hysterectomies but strangely enough they had no volunteers!

Of course you might be referring to another research study by him, so if you do get a chance (dark days of winter or otherwise!)  it would be great if you could share that, just so I'm updated on my clinical research knowledge.

Being a natural scientist geek-type, I always like to know new information! Thanks in advance x
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:53:25 AM by Freckles »