Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1761 times)

Treva

Hello!
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »

Hi everyone!
I'm 53 years old and had my last period in June/July 2015 (yay!) I'd had horrendous periods for about 5 years previous to them stopping and my GP was always saying I was anemic but couldn't work out why  ???
I've been quite lucky so far I think. Can't take HRT because I get migraines so I could end up having a stroke but I'm fine with that. I take folic acid and sage supplements and they seem to help control my wonderful hot flushes.
But the past 2-3 months I've been feeling hormonal roughly once a month, usual stuff, eating for England, feeling irritable and headachy etc. I also get constipated. I did all through my productive years and have done with this surge. I've also had a bit of spotting which I put down to the constipation and trying  to go. Anyway I've been to see the GP today and she's sending me for swabs and then possibly an ultrasound. Trouble is I also suffer from anxiety so now I'm stressing.
Googling my symptoms led me here and I'm so glad I've found this forum. I know we all go through this but it's great to have somewhere to all get together. I'm looking forward to meeting you all and hopefully being some help, as a couple of the threads I've read so far have calmed me down and id like to think at some point I can help someone too!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:52:25 PM »

:welcomemm:

We have a thread about health anxiety so you are not alone!  Browse round.  Make notes.

dazned

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:35:23 PM »

Hi and  :welcomemm:

Have a nosey around you will see lots here have anxiety issues so you're not on your own anymore. :)

Treva

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 07:29:27 AM »

Thank you all for the welcome and comments x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »

Hi Treva

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your symptoms.

However migraine is not necessarily a contra-indication for HRT - just that transdermal is preferred.

Here are the contra-indications:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contraindications.php

Pregnancy
Undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding
Active or recent blood clot or myocardial infarction (heart attack)
Suspected or active breast or endometrial (womb) cancer
Active liver disease with abnormal liver function tests
Porphyria cutanea tarda

Here's what is say about migraine and HRT/menopause:

Migraine
Migraine is often triggered by hormonal fluctuations and therefore may occur around the time of a period. Such migraine may improve at the time of the menopause. Some women find that migraine may be triggered by the daily hormone fluctuations which can occur with oral (tablet) HRT so the transdermal (patch or gel) route is usually preferred with a history of migraine.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossM

So if you are wanting to reconsider, do ask further if you want any other advice re HRT (or anything else for that matter!).

Hope the doc result is OK - it is not uncommon for some women to have the odd ovulatory cycle etc more than 12 months after last period and it is usually down to a hormonal surge. The timing for investigation is set at 12 months just to make sure no-one is missed for anything more serious - but this is less likely.

Hurdity x :)

Treva

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »

Hurdity, thanks for your comments.
I'll mention the transdermal HRT next time I'm at the doctors because these hot flushes aren't much fun!