Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT dosage  (Read 1884 times)

Annidav

HRT dosage
« on: September 01, 2016, 07:11:35 AM »

Morning ladies -or is it afternoon (insomnia again so it feels like the middle of the day!)

I am coming to the end of my first 3 months of HRT tablets and have an appointment with my GP next week to let her know how I am getting on.

The thing is, I am not convinced that I am getting the benefits I had hoped.... my hot flushes have increased  both in frequency and intensity (before I was on HRT I was on AD mirtazapine primarily to help me sleep as I had chronic insomnia which led to anxiety and terrible panic attacks but the tablets also seemed to ease  the hot flushes which more or less disappeared whilst on the tablets).

I have also noticed that I have an upset tummy most mornings and have to visit the loo several times first thing - I don't know if this is HRT connected or "just another grumble".

I DO feel calmer although certain things still make me anxious - my fear of flying when we went on holiday last month for example, and the latest this week is stressing about my 50th Birthday party this coming weekend (food will be awful, no-one will come, too many will come, music will be terrible, I will make a fool of myself - you name it I am anxious about it - and as a result the insomnia is back)

I am on Elleste Duet Conti 2 mg - maybe it isn't the one for me....

Oh I don't know -it's all ifs buts and maybe's isn't it.... :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\   

Hurdity

Re: HRT dosage
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 07:22:33 PM »

Hi fiftygirl

First - the anxiety re party and flying - THIS IS COMPLETELY NORMAL (for many of us)!!!!!  The things you describe I feel exactly the same  - I am a worrier but I never ever consider that I suffer from anxiety and have never even thought to medicate for it. It's just a part of who I am. I hate flying and it always gets me worried and nervous. As for organising a big party - well I just don't do them any more - it would stress me out completely. Other things that would make some people nervous, I take in my stride and I expect you are the same. Amazing that you are doing your own party and absolutely normal to worry about it - well in my book anyway. Nothing wrong with that - the worrying as long as you make lists of what you have to do and gradually tick things off...... When it's happening hopefully you will enjoy it and then there will be a wonderful sense of relief when it's over (and was a success!) - and you will wonder why you worried so much - but I know I am the same!

If you have an upset stomach then maybe you would be better off on a patch HRT - which is recommended if stomach problems persist with tablets.  This may also affect the amount of oestrogen you can absorb from the tablets. Also the progestogen in Elleste conti is norethisterone - which is notorious for causing side effects in susceptible women. You are taking it all the time so there is no let up. You could try a different HRT but the best tolerated one (judging by reports on here and generally) - Femoston - only comes in 1 mg doses for post-menopause.

However there are two combi patches - Evorel conti ( also contains norethisterone as the progestogen) and Femseven conti ( a different but still synthetic prog). Alternatively you could try an oestrogen only patch ( which do come in higher strengths with progesterone. All the types are listed under Treatments (top green tab)/HRT preparations.

Have you come off the anxiety meds now? ADs are not supposed to be prescribed as first line of treatment for menopausal symptoms but many GPs still reach for the "little helpers" first before considering HRT!

I would concentrate on your party (oh to be 50 again!) - have a wonderful time - and then make that appt with the GP :)

Hurdity x

PS When's the date of your birthday? I may be away but hopefully someone will remember or you can announce in birthdays section!