Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Mastectomy or not?  (Read 3316 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Mastectomy or not?
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:04:23 PM »

We are continually advised not to have HRT following treatment for breast disease.  If HRT is so dangerous, why aren't Consultants suggesting that women have double mastectomy so that we are able to get relief from menopause symptoms?

Taz2

Re: Mastectomy or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »

I think that the risk from HRT is far smaller than the risk of such a major operation.

Taz x

soniad

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 03:14:09 AM »

There have only ever been 2 Randomized control trials on this subject, (the HABITS Study and The Stockholm study) and both were abandoned prematurely.

I have a couple of fantastic articles that analyzed the outcome of these two studies but they are in PDF format and I can't post the links because I found them on sites that also sell stuff.

One was written by William Creasman and the other is here:

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/97/7/533.full
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 05:48:29 AM by soniad »

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 07:17:02 AM »

Maybe not... it depends on the overall health state of the patient and her will to have it. Most women with the BRCA mutation choose to have double mastectomy and double oophorectomy and they seem to do well.

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean that it wasn't an ok operation to have but, as with any operation, it's a risk in itself if you are not likely to develop the disease. I've often thought that once we no longer need our breasts then the sensible thing would be to get rid of them but it is difficult, emotionally, I would think having seen friends go through it.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:02:42 PM »

:thankyou:

So if the risk of GA is higher than the possibility that HRT will trigger breast cancer, is there a point when we should put to bed the 'risk' element of any Report?

When I was faced with cancer I said that I would have both breasts removed, however, since all that I have developed a different relationship with  my breasts and would find it more difficult to get rid of same  ::)

sweettooth

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:56:51 PM »

I think of this a lot! I am being referred to meno clinic but I really don't think there's much point as my oncologist says no to estrogen  :'(
Surely there should be something to help women who have had breast cancer?! to make matters worse part of treatment is an estrogen blocker for at least 5 yrs BUT I am also very grateful for all the help and fab treatment I have received following my diagnosis.

My heart goes out to 'anyone' suffering a severe menopause it's the pits and especially so if anxiety and /or depression are involved.

St x

sweettooth

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 08:55:34 PM »

Hi menomale, thank you.  I can't use any form of prog as my bc was also prog responsive plus I could never tolerate it anyway.....rock and a hard place situation I'm afraid x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 11:12:04 AM »

Hoodlam …….. could you tell us more?