Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Low dose vs ultra low dose femoston conti  (Read 4894 times)

Deeble

Low dose vs ultra low dose femoston conti
« on: August 18, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »

Hi - I'd been happily using low dose femoston conti for about 3 months. Then I had a throat virus, stressful time, stomach issues and random dizziness over a period of about 4 weeks. All getting better now although throat and stomach issues just lingering on. Dizziness and abdominal pain are two listed side effects on the femoston conti low dose. I'm wondering about stepping down to ultra low dose to be on the safe side. Is this so low as to not be very effective, I read somewhere the ultra low dose was targetted at women 60+ coming late to hrt. I'm 57 and on hrt 10 mths this time, been 4 years since last period. Started hrt for very low mood, high anxiety issues. After some problems with low mood with patches my mood is much much better on femoston conti (better progesterone for me). Just worrying/wondering if it is contributing to dizzy feelings, stomach issues. Anyone with any experience or thoughts?? Many thanks. D x

Deeble

Re: Low dose vs ultra low dose femoston conti
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:34:06 PM »

Thank you Stellajane - it's a help to hear your experience - I think I'm going to stick with 1/5 femoston for now. Don't want to lose the much improved mood!!!

Cazikins

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 03:24:25 PM »

I did it just over a year ago & it suits me for now.
I wanted to try & come off HRT but just nosedived into all the old symptoms, so I tried ultra low dose femoston & I'm pleased to say it eased the flushes to almost nothing, just a slight warm feeling on a hot day. I can't say it has helped too mucg with any of the other symptoms much, but for me I feel more in control.
Cazi x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 07:47:47 AM »

Deeble if you are having stomach issues then eventually you might want to switch to transdermal HRT - but if this one is working for you generally then best to stick with it! I tried reducing dose (of patch HRT) at the behest of my doctor (without consultation) - at age 60 - but symptoms started to return so went back onto the dose I was on (50 mcg).

Hurdity x

Deeble

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 03:57:41 PM »

Thanks Cazi and Hurdity - I was away last week (travelling/heat/stress) and caught out by quite bad stomach symptoms  on several days, random dizziness and some tight chest, bloated stomach feelings. I had the ultra low dose on hand to change down to (from femoston 1/5 to .5/2.5) and although heat and stress hadn't helped me, I felt the dizziness/stomach issues were very familiar and they felt hrt linked - so I've stepped down to the ultra low dose to see how I get on. I tried transdermal initially but none of the progesterones suited me. Femoston feels like my last chance! Is it common to get upper abdominal pain/discomfort on hrt, as opposed to pelvic pain? Also, I am wondering if these symptoms are hrt related, would it likely be the progestogen causing the problems? Thanks and good wishes. D x

Cazikins

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »

Abdominal pain/discomfort can be caused by many other things other than HRT on it's own - so don't give up just yet Deeble.

Try not to look for issues/problems (unless they are serious ones). If they carry on for weeks then have a chat with your doctor.

Keep us posted.

Cazi x