Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: NOisy neighbours  (Read 9439 times)

walking the dog

Re: NOisy neighbours
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »

This was actually them barking in the house at the yorky as my window was open ! No one can walk past the house and their both off ! The only way to stop them is to keep the blinds shut but then I get depressed and the barking makes my anxiety worse. Its getting to the point in getting no pleasure from them. They get lots of walks and are just as bad outside barking at other dogs and people they dont like the look of ! Its embarrassing!
I will try your newspaper technique clkd they have both been to training classes and are ok command wise if they listen over the barking ! I do love them but ....
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:27:19 PM by walking the dog »

babyjane

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 03:38:29 PM »

when ours was young the training class I went to advised a few small pebbles or coins in a tin can and rattle it.  It worked a treat.  A rolled newspaper could make them think you are going to strike them

Ju Ju

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »

We have a public right of way at the end of the garden. As someone with or without dogs walks past, one dog hears and starts barking, then all the dogs start barking.

Next doors dog will growl as I come out the door and walk round the garden. On the rare occasion he has escaped, he bounces round here with friendly enthusiasm. Difficult to not to like this dog.  I do feel sorry for it though. Rarely seen going out for walks. Golden retriever. The other side has a little yorkie, who yaps and yaps and yaps. Makes up for its small size with noise!

Still better than the neighbours there when we first moved here. They let their dogs wander leaving mess up and down the road and along our shared drive. I got paranoid about checking shoes and having to clean shoes. Our children were young. Apparently I have toxoplasmosis antibodies. I'm not surprised. To add insult to injury, someone once accosted me as I came down the drive and said that I must be the owner of those awful dogs! I did ring the local environmental people about the problem and was told that I would have to get photographic evidence and they would tell the neighbours who complained! In other words, they didn't want to know. This was 20 years ago, so I hope things have changed. It was a relief when they moved.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »

Not changed a lot Ju Ju  ::).  Maybe WtD have someone in who doesn't know the dogs well so that they are a little bit wary …… and do some basic training …….. pity I don't live closer  ;).  Dogs know how to wind owners up!  >:(.  Lots of sit, stay, give them a Kong to keep them busy and if they bark, take it away.  A tin with pebbles in is a good idea and the point of a newspaper is that it extends the arm length which makes the human appear larger.  The noise on the ground can shock them into thinking about the connection between their barking and the sudden noise!  Remind me, which breeds?

getting_old

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 06:41:59 PM »

We have horrible neighbours on one side. Every so often they have parties which go on well into the early hours and the woman screams and screeches for the duration (a few people have said her OH has tried to leave her a few times so not sure if she likes to share their arguments), then she walks the three large dogs off the lead and doesn't pick up. If we're not observant we could drive through it as it's often on our driveway. I've called the dog warden several times - it stops for a week or two, then we have to stop on the road to check the drive is clear.

Our dog is a barker so we tried the can of pebbles - he thought it was a new toy  :P

Tinkerbell

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 06:46:06 PM »

Jet Washers >:(...I think our recently retired neighbours are bored, the noise drives me potty.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 07:01:48 PM »

New toy - we 'fight' over our garden shredder  ;D

walking the dog

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 07:18:43 PM »

Tried the pebbles they barked louder , this was in the past.
I think they bother me more than the neighbours as never had a,complaint and the dogs are seven and five !
Been to training but didn't help barking.
I def don't let them.jump on people or escape, they are small dogs and friendly we have them under control apart from the barking
I know I'm too soft I treat them like they were humans ! Rod for own back springs to mind 😐

bramble

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 08:22:13 PM »

I lived next door to neighbours with barking dogs. I have double glazing and on the side next to them is only about 7 feet away. I was out battering at their door one night at midnight in my pyjamas to get them to stop the dogs. They drove me crazy!! Thank goodness they moved after a few years. I think barking dogs are like noisy children - you don't hear them if they are your own! There speaks a childless and dogless woman!!

Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 09:54:36 PM »

It isn't good for the dogs either  ::) - gives them a sore throat  ??? ……. they can be stopped, age is NO barrier to new training.  Use the rolled up newspaper right behind them when they bark, to make them jump, might be enough.  Or keep them on a short lead and give a sharp tug each time, lowering the voice, no eye contact and a deep 'no'. 

walking the dog

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 10:05:43 PM »

Its weird as at night after last walk they accept its bed time and sleep together downstairs curtains shut all night not a sound out of them !
We and the neighbours are double glazed so perhaps I'm thinking the neighbours can hear then when they can't? Hence no complaints?
My anxiety about the whole situation is sky high !
Rolled newspaper here I come😊

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 10:17:40 PM »

;D ………. if you are anxious they may be picking up on vibes!  My pets certainly knew when I was unwell.  The dog didn't make any demands for a walk, she would lay close by and doze with me.  On my better days she was up and at it  ::).  The other thing of course, when they bark at people/dogs that walk by, it works!  They bark, the item moves away, Job Done  ;D.  So they practice each time a person/dog walks by …….. it works!

Ju Ju

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 08:48:03 AM »

It isn't good for the dogs either  ::) - gives them a sore throat  ??? ……. they can be stopped, age is NO barrier to new training.  Use the rolled up newspaper right behind them when they bark, to make them jump, might be enough.  Or keep them on a short lead and give a sharp tug each time, lowering the voice, no eye contact and a deep 'no'.

Do you think the neighbours would let me train their dogs?!  ;D probably get licked to death by the golden retriever!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »

It's a fab morning here .... Patio doors open, birds singing, sun shining, noisy neighbour's not around so I took my coffee outside to enjoy the sunshine and the second I sat down someone further away has started bashing something down .... Either a wooden shed or fencing! So  now we have constant pounding.

babyjane

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 09:08:01 AM »

They's be back to work on Tuesday.  Ours are away for the BH weekend  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3