Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Where am i  (Read 2861 times)

Dennylou48

Where am i
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:09:33 PM »

Ok ladies I have had the results of my fsh levels and they are 109.6, please can someone tell me if I'm now on my way to being post menopausal, I really don't understand what all these figures mean. I just can't wait to done with it all, had such a rubbish three years , thanks xxxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Where am i
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:10:01 PM »

Didn't your GP explain the results?

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 07:14:37 PM »

Hi

I had a hysterectomy years ago so have had to rely on blood tests during this malarkey

The range written on my FSH results was 21-140 u/L for post menopause

I'm sure these are just guides but I've had no periods to ever go by

X

Dennylou48

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 12:37:13 AM »

I have had a spot of brown blood in 9 months but no proper period, no I just rang up for my results and that was it xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 12:13:00 PM »

Dennylou - I am certainly not an expert but that reading would probably indicate post meno or at least late peri meno.
Oestrogen and FSH levels do fluctuate so blood tests can be unreliable.
Unfortunately, even if you are post menopause that does not mean your meno journey is over. I'm so sorry to tell you this but oestrogen deficiency can often continue to cause problems for many years after the periods stop and the ongoing damage to bones, heart, bladder etc. are irreversible.  Do read the article from the Telegraph posted by Emma yesterday - explains everything so well - this might make you feel less alone about all you are suffering. DG x 

Dennylou48

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:16:44 PM »

I can't find anything relating to the telegraph posted by Emma, which section is it in please x

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:40:26 PM »

Dennylou48

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 12:38:50 AM »

Thank you, I have just read through it and it's very interesting to read, I am so being pulled between the devil and the deep blue sea as to which to have, hrt or bhrt, so many and very confusing. Hhhheeeelllllllpppppppp. 😩😩😩😩😩

Dawncam

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »

Hi Dennylou48 - unfortunately the decision to use hrt or not is really entirely yours. My decision was relatively easy as I just couldn't live with the myriad debilitating symptoms and even on HRT I've had to modify my life somewhat.

I've no regrets starting an HRT regime and feel it's definitely the best route for me.

The question re. Synthetic and BHRT is again personal. I don't agree with any progesterone but can just tolerate the bio-identical utrogestan because I simply must. The synthetics progestins are a no-no for me as they make me depressed. But if I found one that worked, I'd use it.

This is just my personal experience and it's a terribly tricky time of life, I once had a meno consultant at my local meno clinic tell me not to be too hung up on BHRT and that most of the docs there were using Mirenas.

I'm afraid the final decision is yours and it can often take many attempts with different brands/doses/delivery systems before you find the best one for you.

Good luck

Dxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »

Dennylou - there is no decision to make  - if you want HRT then you can get bio identical HRT through the NHS from your GP.  Most HRTs have bio identical oestrogen - it's the old fashioned HRTs that have the horses oestrogen. As fro the progesterone there is Utrogestan (micronised progesterone - bio identical) that many women go for but it's about finding the one that suits you.  Synthetic isn't necessarily bad it's just that some women find it problematic. I personally had more problems with Utrogestan than with the more synthetic progesterones - we are all different so must keep an open mind when trying any treatment.  The Mirena is a great option simply because less progesterone is circulated around the body, therefore fewer side effects and less likely to have problematic bleeding.
It's the compounded BHRT (often available from alternative therapists) that is questionable as it is not regulated so therefore not as safe as the HRTs you get through the NHS.
I recommended you read this article as it sets out very clearly that HRT is not the demon it is made out to be.
Here on MM we are often accused of being very pro HRT - this is because we are fed up with being told to ‘ride the storm' - “it's a natural process” etc. - too many are prescribed ADs/ SRRIs which won't protect our heart and bones.

HRT is a personal choice - we all have to make up our own minds having done the research and accessing the benefits versus the side effects.  The risks are very small but side effects can be a problem as with any treatment.

The best thing you can do is talk to the doctor about your options - don't keep suffering.  Go prepared with stuff printed off from this site and try either something like Femoston 1/10 (which has a kinder progesterone) or go for the oestrogen as patch or gel with Utrogestan.  You can try it for 3 months and if you don't like it you can stop - so many women hold out for a long time, give in and try HRT, to then regret they didn't have it sooner - they mourn those lost years with meno symptoms.  If you don't try you never find out.  DG x
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:06:39 AM by Dancinggirl »

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 07:49:03 PM »

Great post Dancinggirl  :thankyou:

Just to add re the discussion on FSH levels and post-menopause or not - we have seen several examples of women being told from blood tests (FSH) that they are post-menopausal when they are not - and in fact one member on here - I won't mention her name as it was a while ago - was very upset at being told this by her doc  - I think she had only missed one period or maybe two - and was told it was unlikely she would have another. She went through a a traumatic few weeks coming to terms with what she thought was the end of her fertile years ( she hadn't had children) - but was in fact in early peri-menopause and her periods resumed. She could have been spared that upset caused through ignorance on the part of the doc!

Dr Currie says on this site in the section on diagnosis of menopause:

"Home kits can be used to check for a raised FSH in a urine test, and you can have a blood test to measure the level, however the level depends on the phase of the cycle and can vary by a factor of 10-30 or more during the menstrual cycle. If having a blood level measured, the blood sample should be taken on the 3rd to 5th day of a period. A normal level does not exclude early menopausal transition and a raised level does not exclude continuing ovarian function. One raised level should therefore not be relied upon as a reason to stop using contraception since egg release can still occur late in the menopausal transition."

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

So although that FSH level is very high you may not be yet post-menopausal but if that's all you've had in 9 months (one episode of brown spotting) then you are likely to be very late peri-menopause and may well be almost there if not there already. Remember that in the absence of HRT you can only date menopause in retrospect since the 12 months period free need to have elapsed.

If you want to take HRT we can help you decide between the myriad of products on offer. Can't remember how old you are nor what symptoms you have wish you may like to control with HRT?

I make absolutely no apology for being pro-HRT - I mean this is the view of the most gynaecologists and the medical profession in general. We on here are just reflecting the prevailing advice. Please ask if you need any help Dennylou48 :)

Hurdity x