Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Am I or Arent I  (Read 1509 times)

JulesPat

Am I or Arent I
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:00:07 AM »

Hello lovely ladies I hope you can help me.

I an not sure if the symptoms I am experiencing are the beginning of meno for me. I am anxious all the time and have been put on 10mg of citalopram now on day 11. Not been able to eat properly for a week keep retching in the morning (and during the day).

I seem to be waking up every couple of hours and opening the window as I feel I need the fresh air.  I thought it was the ADs but not sure.  Was given some temporary sleeping tablets on Friday and took the first one last night. Went to bed at 10:30 and woke at 3am then couldn't get back to sleep. I sometimes have the sensation of something travelling from my feet (which appear to be hot) to the top of my head. I do have to throw the covers off as I feel hot but my forearms are cold.  When this happens the top half of my chest is red. 

Xxx

Dancinggirl

Re: Am I or Arent I
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »

JulesPat - welcome to MM - you haven't told us your age and what is happening with your periods?
It could very well be early stages of peri meno - the hormones will be fluctuating and this can happen on and off for quite a few years.  Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.
Early side effects of SRRIs can be distressing and, like anything, finding one that suits you is trial and error I believe.
If you are suffering with meno symptoms then the SRRI is not the right treatment - hopefully bloods were done before the GP prescribed them.  Thyroid function should also be checked.
Keep posting DG x

JulesPat

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl

I have just turned 50. I had the Merina coil fitted 15 months ago so virtually no periods just a few spots each month apart from last month were the spotting lasted a week.  I do suffer with very sore breasts about a week before my period is due.

Have a telephone appointment with Dr to discuss the coil as I dont know what is going on with my periods and feel it might be better without it.

Bloods were done before I went on the ADs. Everything was done.  Dr made a strange comment that I can expect to have hot flushes. Not sure what he was trying to say.

Xx

flufferama

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 01:44:53 PM »

Hello,

I had the exact same side effects starting an SSRI. I'd be awake from around 3am and very agitated/anxious. Burning up. I always felt better in the evenings. This was well before the peri symptoms kicked in so I knew it wasn't related to that.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »

Julepat - I would ask what your oestrogen levels were? If he said to expect flushes then he clearly thought your were menopausal.  If you already have a Mirena then this can be great as you could just take some oestrogen alongside this to reduce and control flushes etc.
Shouldn't really have given you ADs/SRRIs as not the right treatment for your at this stage.
The Mirena will often result in no periods which can be great but can mask what is going on with your hormones - it's only when flushes emerge that one realises that the oestrogen level has dropped.  It's oestrogen you need so I would ask for some oestrogen as either patch(Estradot) or Oestrogel - the Mirena takes care of the progesterone part and if it has suited you thus far I would stick with this. If your Mirena has been in longer than 4 years then you would need a new one.
Dg x